Project_mjolnir://mark_iv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is looking great! Keep it up!
Great work Tomboy. Really glad to see you back at it. looking forward to seeing this done.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've needed it to produce this:

WP_20160522_09_41_20_Pro.jpg

It's a @$#^ing miracle! The chest piece is finished!!! This thing took forever to make and I was able to finish it before I move out later this week. On top of that, I have 1 not rainy day (today) to get as much resin on it as I safely can. I am not rebuilding this thing, so it is not allowed to warp. At all... Do you hear me, chest piece?! :behave

WP_20160522_09_41_39_Pro.jpg

Thank you everyone for all the support while I've driven myself mad on this piece, and thank you Abgates for making the file. The piece is beautiful, but damn... this thing is a b!#%h and a half to put together.

So, like I said earlier, I have today and today only to get this thing as resined as I can before it goes in a box full of packing peanuts. (I really don't want to pack this thing up as just paper, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow) So, I'm using a lot of Cereal Kill3r's advice and his YouTube videos to resin this thing since it's the biggest piece I've ever done. I really recommend checking out his channel. So, I'm working on this thing in quadrants and I've used paint stir sticks to reinforce the support structures. It's actually working really well. The first two quadrants are done and drying. After lunch, I'll be outside again to, hopefully, finish the outside coat.

And remember, when packing armor for a move, packing peanuts work the best. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• WP_20160522_09_41_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160522_09_41_20_Pro.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 355
  • WP_20160522_09_41_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160522_09_41_39_Pro.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 346
Good luck, dude! The pep looks great. Let us know how the move goes. Fingers crossed.

I am not rebuilding this thing, so it is not allowed to warp. At all... Do you hear me, chest piece?! :behave

Now that you've tempted fate, I expect to hear the sound of a furious man some time within the next few days.

But in all honesty, good luck. If the struts hold up well and you've gotten it braced properly you should be absolutely fine.

I think I hear Murphy knocking at his door........or it just could be the moving truck.....either way. good luck on both issues.

Good luck, dude! The pep looks great. Let us know how the move goes. Fingers crossed.

Thanks. So far, the move goes long, but my stuff was picked up and is in transit... somewhere.

Moving put my build on hold for a long time. Everything looks awesome so far, thanks for sharing!

Trying not to let it put me too far behind, but there will be delays due to lack of.. everything... like tools!

Now that you've tempted fate, I expect to hear the sound of a furious man some time within the next few days.

But in all honesty, good luck. If the struts hold up well and you've gotten it braced properly you should be absolutely fine.

I'm a girl...

I think I hear Murphy knocking at his door........or it just could be the moving truck.....either way. good luck on both issues.

I wish it was the moving truck. Then I'd have a table to work on! And stuff!

Your foam parts are so smooth and even! Amazing! Everything looks great!

Thanks, though I haven't worked on any foam pieces in a while. I'm still new at it.

Sooo... update! I have officially moved to Florida. Now, if only my stuff would follow suit. My stuff was picked up on Friday and is in transit somewhere to my new apartment. I haven't gotten any other updates from the moving company, and my delivery window is still between June 6th and 23rd. However, my dad sold me his trailer when I drove from California back to Texas, so I was able to move enough of my own stuff to hold out until then, including my kitchen, clothes, a printer, and my own armor (because I don't trust the moving company with it).

As Chernobyl teased me above, I did tempt fate, and there was some slight warping during the resining process. Thankfully, it was very slight, I have more resining to do, and it looks like it's going to be an easy fix. Behold the extent of it!!!

WP_20160605_09_27_18_Pro.jpg

So, yeah, it's about nothing, and I haven't even resined the inside or finished the outside. A little something to hold it in the proper shape and I should be good. I've bought some cardstock (because mine is on the moving truck) and got the printer set up, so I'm currently trying to build the shin piece again. I like Rundown and Jason078's model. It doesn't narrow down toward the ankle as much as Abgates' did, but the one I made in California was just a smidge too small. Hopefully, this one fits. My biggest problem is my "work space."

WP_20160604_15_52_28_Pro.jpg

...It's a box. Even more problematic is that while my last place came with tons of installed lighting, here I have a light in the kitchen, bathroom, and closet. I'm limited to working daylight hours. I'd kill for a table and lamp right now.

*Sigh* At least it's summer.

Attachments

• WP_20160605_09_27_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160605_09_27_18_Pro.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 348
  • WP_20160604_15_52_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160604_15_52_28_Pro.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 217
Hi, guys! Sorry for the long absence. I swear I have not dropped this project. There's just thing called life, and it keeps getting in the way. A lot has happened in the last couple of months. All my household goods got delivered, I had another business trip out of state, work ramped up to crazy hours for a couple weeks, my parents dropped in for a surprise visit, and my niece had her 2 year old birthday party. Also, there's this new mobile game you may or may not have heard of. Pokemon Go? Kind of addictive... but I don't think it'll catch on [sarcasm].

Needless to say, I am exhausted. And I haven't been working on my project as much as I'd have liked to. Plus side, all the crazy hours at work means lots of overtime pay. Downside, I am quickly learning just how rainy the rainy season in Florida is. At this rate, I'm going to have to wait until the winter months to work on any resin and bondo work. In the meantime, I'm planning to try my hand at foam again and can at least get a lot of the paper pep builds done and ready for resin in October.

Not a lot of progress due to above mentioned craziness, but I have managed to build a correctly sized shin piece off of Rundown's model.

WP_20160626_17_09_47_Pro%201.jpg

The top opening is still too small to fit around my leg, and it's not scalloped enough, but the outside of it is actually the perfect size. I figured I'd build the whole thing so that it could act as a size guide and use foam to build around it to the correct shape. I'm also rebuilding the right pauldron (that's the big shoulder piece). The original seemed too large compared to the torso, so I've reduced the scale by 10%. This also gives me a chance to use foam to build in the round indents and I'll also be creating my own pieces to fill in the opening left on Abgates' model. I'll post pictures of that when it's finished.

Work has slowed back down and I've got just about all my stuff unpacked, so here's hoping I can make some decent progress. I promise I'll post sooner than two months this time!

Attachments

• WP_20160626_17_09_47_Pro%201.jpg
    WP_20160626_17_09_47_Pro%201.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 346
So, if anyone can remember, back in my first post I mentioned that this is my second attempt at making a suit of Mark IV Mjolnir. There may even be a few of you who were witness to my original attempt. The original goal was to finish my suit in time for the release of the first Halo Wars. With a sequel coming out, I figured it was time to give my project something it had been missing: a deadline.

Here's the goal: I will have a wearable suit of Mark IV armor by time 0000 on 21 Feb 2017, in time for a midnight release of Halo Wars 2. This suit does not have to be complete, just wearable. I do not have to have a perfect undersuit. I do not have to have perfect weathering. After the deadline, I am still permitted (and encouraged) to continue working on my suit to bring it up to whatever quality standards I see fit prior to submitting a Deployment application.

Minimum requirements are: 1 black undersuit, 1 helmet, 1 large right pauldron, 1 left pauldron, 2 upper arms, 2 lower arms, 2 handplates, 1 torso, 1 cod piece, 2 thighs, 2 shin and knee rigs, 2 boots and strapping that will withstand a minimum of 1 hour of moderate movement.

I am permitted to bitch, moan and complain as much as I wish as long as I continue working. I will not sweat the small details. I will not give up, and I will not quit.

At my discretion, the project may only be dropped after the deadline has passed and a wearable suit is presented on this thread.

I have the above statements written up, printed out and signed by me as a contract to finish this project. My goals for this actual suit far exceed the minimum requirements, but I figured with that minimum, the progress I already have made, and just shy of 6 months until Halo Wars 2, it's a reasonable and doable goal. I'll still end up working on bits of other, simpler costumes. In some cases, it'll actually be beneficial since it'll provide a way to practice things I haven't done before on a much easier piece. (Plus, it'll give me somewhere to go when this project starts driving me up the wall.)
Johnnybroskii, ratmonkey, Jason 078, and anyone else working on a suit of Mark IV, if you're still out there, I encourage you to join me on finishing our suits. Let's finally start that Mark IV club!

So, progress:

I finished building the scaled-down right pauldron. It fits a lot better with the torso, and since it was only scaled down 10%, I'm able to use the little detail piece I built for the original without it looking crazy.

WP_20160819_18_38_55_Pro%201.jpg
WP_20160819_18_39_24_Pro%201.jpg

I've also started making foam templates for the cod piece and thighs. I know that Jason 078 and rundown have worked on making pep files for there pieces, but they're not as screen accurate as I'd like, or sizing them up until they fit makes them too large in other places. In the meantime, they make for good reference.

WP_20160819_18_36_54_Pro%201.jpg

WP_20160819_18_37_08_Pro%201.jpg

WP_20160821_08_20_17_Pro.jpg

I'm going to try to keep up with updates and post something every 1-2 weeks from now on. That should also motivate me to move my butt on this project.

Attachments

• WP_20160821_08_20_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160821_08_20_17_Pro.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 350
  • WP_20160819_18_37_08_Pro%201.jpg
    WP_20160819_18_37_08_Pro%201.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 326
  • WP_20160819_18_36_54_Pro%201.jpg
    WP_20160819_18_36_54_Pro%201.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 330
  • WP_20160819_18_39_24_Pro%201.jpg
    WP_20160819_18_39_24_Pro%201.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 275
  • WP_20160819_18_38_55_Pro%201.jpg
    WP_20160819_18_38_55_Pro%201.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 313
Last edited by a moderator:
I want to work on the suit. I still have everything i have built. But i think it would be better if someone would like to pick up from where i left off. I am willing to sell them. I have grown since then. So i would rebuild it anyway. They r built and fiberglassed. Not bondoed yet. But i would feel better if someone had a better chance and not have to build as much.

- - - Updated - - -

And good luck to u tomboy. Build the"crap" out of the the mark iv armour. I would love to see a wearable suit. If u need help. Just ask. Im glad to help.

This is the first Mk IV build that I have found that looks like they might actually finish.
Can't wait to see it done!

I want to work on the suit. I still have everything i have built. But i think it would be better if someone would like to pick up from where i left off. I am willing to sell them. I have grown since then. So i would rebuild it anyway. They r built and fiberglassed. Not bondoed yet. But i would feel better if someone had a better chance and not have to build as much.

Sounds like something to post on the marketplace. When you do pick up your rebuild, I hope it goes well.

This is the first Mk IV build that I have found that looks like they might actually finish.
Can't wait to see it done!

You and me both.

Tropical Storm Hermine has come and gone over the Tampa Bay area, and in its wake it's left me a bright sunny day with little chance of rain. I've been taking advantage of it and have gotten a coat of resin on the outside of the right pauldron and 2/3rds of the shin.

WP_20160904_10_01_36_Pro.jpg

When building this piece, you'll probably want to pay special attention to and add extra reinforcement to the following two areas:

WP_20160904_09_36_18_Pro.jpg
WP_20160904_09_36_02_Pro.jpg

The top part of the sides is just a lot of folds and was starting to sag after I applied just a thin coat of resin to the first side, especially around the indents. Getting the reinforcement between them can be tricky, but worth it. The side popped right back out, and the second side hasn't sagged at all. Also, I made a spacer of sorts and added lots of reinforcement to the bottom opening to help hold the proper shapes and angles. This is another area with a lot of open paper and can warp easily. Take the time to reinforce.

I've also been working on making templates for the cod piece since it looked easier to tackle than the shins. I've got the front half sketched out and templates made to cut out on the foam. It doesn't have all the details on it, but I'm also planning on carving out quite a few of them.

WP_20160903_12_38_32_Pro%201.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm in for a long day of staring at Spartan butt while I try to work out the back.

By the way, there wouldn't happen to be someone watching the thread that's good at unfolding pep files, would there? I found this one in the 405th archive ages ago. It's been removed since then, but I still have the file. It is the most screen accurate version of the Mark IV Helmet that I've found to date. The only problem is that I suck at unfolding. I spent 2 months working on it while I was recovering, and made no usable headway. If there's anyone willing to help, PM me and I'll either send you the file or just post it back up in the archive.

MarkIV%20Helmet%20Pep.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160904_09_36_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160904_09_36_18_Pro.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 332
  • WP_20160904_10_01_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160904_10_01_36_Pro.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 329
  • WP_20160903_12_38_32_Pro%201.jpg
    WP_20160903_12_38_32_Pro%201.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 335
  • MarkIV%20Helmet%20Pep.jpg
    MarkIV%20Helmet%20Pep.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 341
  • WP_20160904_09_36_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160904_09_36_02_Pro.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 335
If there's anyone willing to help, PM me and I'll either send you the file or just post it back up in the archive.

Not sure why the file would have gone walkies, but sure, shoot it over and I'll put it up for you.

Sounds like something to post on the marketplace. When you do pick up your rebuild, I hope it goes well.

You and me both.

Tropical Storm Hermine has come and gone over the Tampa Bay area, and in its wake it's left me a bright sunny day with little chance of rain. I've been taking advantage of it and have gotten a coat of resin on the outside of the right pauldron and 2/3rds of the shin.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/Tomboy-014/405th Projects/WP_20160904_10_01_36_Pro.jpg

When building this piece, you'll probably want to pay special attention to and add extra reinforcement to the following two areas:

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/Tomboy-014/405th Projects/WP_20160904_09_36_18_Pro.jpghttp://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/Tomboy-014/405th Projects/WP_20160904_09_36_02_Pro.jpg

The top part of the sides is just a lot of folds and was starting to sag after I applied just a thin coat of resin to the first side, especially around the indents. Getting the reinforcement between them can be tricky, but worth it. The side popped right back out, and the second side hasn't sagged at all. Also, I made a spacer of sorts and added lots of reinforcement to the bottom opening to help hold the proper shapes and angles. This is another area with a lot of open paper and can warp easily. Take the time to reinforce.

I've also been working on making templates for the cod piece since it looked easier to tackle than the shins. I've got the front half sketched out and templates made to cut out on the foam. It doesn't have all the details on it, but I'm also planning on carving out quite a few of them.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/Tomboy-014/405th Projects/WP_20160903_12_38_32_Pro 1.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm in for a long day of staring at Spartan butt while I try to work out the back.

By the way, there wouldn't happen to be someone watching the thread that's good at unfolding pep files, would there? I found this one in the 405th archive ages ago. It's been removed since then, but I still have the file. It is the most screen accurate version of the Mark IV Helmet that I've found to date. The only problem is that I suck at unfolding. I spent 2 months working on it while I was recovering, and made no usable headway. If there's anyone willing to help, PM me and I'll either send you the file or just post it back up in the archive.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/Tomboy-014/405th Projects/MarkIV Helmet Pep.jpg

PM me a link, to download the file. I'm currently unable to work on my armor. Well I can, it's just not the same living in a hotel. I'm gonna wait until we get back situated in our home to work on the armor. In the meantime I've been unfolding some files. I'd like to see this build done also!

Tomboy! Good to hear that you're recovered and working on the suit again! Everything is looking great so far! Ive been working on it mine on and off because of school and work. Ill finish it one day, maybe seeing your work will give me some motivation to work on it during my free time!! Also, im trying to gain 20lbs in weight (the bulk is real) so i might wait till i hit my goal weight so i dont have parts i wont fit haha.

Wow, looking great, thanks for all the pictures and comments on your stages.

And thank you for the compliment on my work. :)

Tomboy! Good to hear that you're recovered and working on the suit again! Everything is looking great so far! Ive been working on it mine on and off because of school and work. Ill finish it one day, maybe seeing your work will give me some motivation to work on it during my free time!! Also, im trying to gain 20lbs in weight (the bulk is real) so i might wait till i hit my goal weight so i dont have parts i wont fit haha.

Good luck on the weight gain. I'm currently going the other way and working on losing a couple of inches off my hips. Good luck when you restart your project!

Thanks to Chernobyl and SavedbyGraceG12 for volunteering to unfold the helmet file. SavedbyGraceG12, I tried to send you a copy of the file, but your inbox was full and I couldn't send it.

So, another small setback. Since the doctor cleared me and I've finally settled down in one place, I went back to martial arts lessons. Unfortunately, I landed about as horribly as possible after attempting a flying roundhouse kick and sprained my ankle and several ligaments in my foot. So, I can't exactly do as much as I want and can't do any of the resin or bondo work while I'm on crutches. I was able to get some work done before I went and injured myself and here it is:

WP_20160917_16_43_38_Pro.jpg

I got a full coat on the inside and outside of the right pauldron, started the inside of the shin, and got another coat of rondo on the inside of forearm pieces and left pauldron. I still need to remove the interior braces on the left pauldron to finish the rondo coating. At least that's something I can work on while my mobility is reduced. I've also been working on finishing the templates for the waist pieces.

Then I ended everything by screwing up and setting myself back again. I wasn't allowed to put any weight on my foot for the first 5 days, so I decided to reread the Harry Potter series. While I was trying to rearrange my grip on things and my crutches, I dropped "The Deathly Hallows" on my knee piece. And this was a nice, lovely hardcover copy, too.

WP_20160920_22_46_07_Pro.jpg

Needless to say, I will now be rebuilding this piece... *sigh*

Attachments

• WP_20160917_16_43_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160917_16_43_38_Pro.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 316
  • WP_20160920_22_46_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160920_22_46_07_Pro.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 301
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.