Reach Jun Build (Foam/fibreglass + custom undersuit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg guys, youre gonna laugh. Ive figured out the problem.
Its that i cant read.
I bought ******* abs+ This whole time I thought it said pla+ Ive checked the box like 3 times and every time i coulda sworn it said pla im so confused but i guess that would explain my issues.

Im a disaster how have i survived this long? Natural selection is coming for me i know it.

Last edited:
Omg guys, youre gonna laugh. Ive figured out the problem.
Its that i cant read.
I bought ******* abs+ This whole time I thought it said pla+ Ive checked the box like 3 times and every time i coulda sworn it said pla im so confused but i guess that would explain my issues.

Im a disaster how have i survived this long? Natural selection is coming for me i know it.
Oh yea ahh... that explains a lot!

So while my helmet is printing I’ve finished the kneepads
I used 5" elastic as the band and to attach the armor I used 2" webbing sewn to the elastic, threaded through the Eva foam and hot glued to the armor to it creates a really secure sandwich. I can still kneel on the knees because of the foam and because the armor isn’t actually glued to the elastic I can maintain the stretch of the whole band.

0182D323-7E00-4E9B-B008-B865EBFF6B9E.jpeg24E89E45-CBB5-432C-B72B-747F3C187A93.jpegCE06D4AA-350F-4AB2-9C2B-DBE9D253BBF9.jpeg7F5886BF-CC71-4DFD-B14C-D1A1A021D115.jpegAF6EB02B-BE8B-42A6-B0DF-6AF421C8A50F.jpeg692C9FAF-010A-4D8E-AEF0-4A4920DFCBCC.jpeg3EBC48E1-6868-4D78-A8A0-252DF38999AE.jpeg

I also attached the upper piece onto the shins, padded out some armor and fixed the boots, they were falling apart. Turns out the best glue for rubber x foam is CA glue.

Helmet is coming along, before printing I had the shrink the jaw part of the helmet which was pretty easy to do in meshmixer.
First time I printed It was strangely not proportionate and the jaw originally went around 2.5 inches below my chin, but that was an easy fix luckily.
I’m not finished with the final sanding but each part was rough sanded with 80g sandpaper then painted in a coat of sla printer resin and hardened. Then sanded to 280g and all pieces glued together. The resin is amazing at getting rid of print layer lines and easy to sand. I highly recommend it.
Helmet is prob gonna have to wait for a bit until I swap out my respirator cartridges.
The finished thing took a little less than 1 kg roll, including misprints. 1mm walls and 12% infill. The final helmet is 642 g. I used maybe 150g of support material. from visor to back it’s 30cm, and still missing the back plate so I can fit my head. I’m probably going to make the back plate out of vinyl but I’ll have to finish the helmet before I get to that.
A9BA998F-7A6E-4125-A17B-627BF4B716AA.jpegBB1E9115-F494-402A-8E24-FF4522A9498B.jpeg19ACE447-B403-401A-B5C7-451CCF2C6654.jpeg66669E18-F013-4F37-AD88-706B9F7CDE52.jpeg

Just finished making my way through this entire build thread! Gotta say it’s motivation for my Mjolnir MK VII build. I’ve always loved Jun and totally plan on making him eventually. Fantastic work, I love seeing mixed media used in builds!

Just finished making my way through this entire build thread! Gotta say it’s motivation for my Mjolnir MK VII build. I’ve always loved Jun and totally plan on making him eventually. Fantastic work, I love seeing mixed media used in builds!
the whole thing? wow that mustve taken awhile. hope it was informational haha. i feel like the whole building process has evolved since i started. basic pep/resin then to eva foam and now 3d printing. the technology just keeps advancing.

the whole thing? wow that mustve taken awhile. hope it was informational haha. i feel like the whole building process has evolved since i started. basic pep/resin then to eva foam and now 3d printing. the technology just keeps advancing.
Yup it did but it’s always refreshing to see others processes.

Oh ya, I forgot to mention I'll probably be casting my helmet for the finished thing so that I can reduce the weight and add fans and electronics, maybe even a gopro of some sort into it. not saying ill cast a bunch for anyone whos interested but im not not saying it.

Oh ya, I forgot to mention I'll probably be casting my helmet for the finished thing so that I can reduce the weight and add fans and electronics, maybe even a gopro of some sort into it. not saying ill cast a bunch for anyone whos interested but im not not saying it.
If you’re going to cast and haven’t already bought your silicone, I strongly suggest BJB Enterprises TC-5041silicone for your glove mold. It’s about 46% cheaper than Smooth on Rebound 25 and lasts much longer.

well all the armours I have made are painted and weathered. Guess I have no excuse to not make the rest. its looking to be all fibreglass armour..
Not sure if im just getting tired but Ive got no patience for foam. I have only ever managed to make very basic stuff with it. I tried again to make the shoes last night and got super frustrated so I’m gonna try and freehand some fibreglass armour as a base and then add foam details to it.. haha we shall see if that’ll work out.

the biceps and bracers are in the fibreglassing stage. Once that’s done I’ll probably be adding foam modifications to make them more comfy, just like everything else. My old biceps were super warped so I re-pepped them and started over.
View attachment 307582

I finished the weathering with some muddy paint washes and splattering. Jun has probably had to sit around in the rain lots so I think it’s appropriate. man I love weathering.
before weathering:
View attachment 307587View attachment 307589View attachment 307591
after weathering:
View attachment 307588View attachment 307585View attachment 307584View attachment 307586View attachment 307583View attachment 307581
They still need to varnished but I’ve run out of satin finish. I’m thinking of using the liquitex varnish. Has anyone used that or is there a good slightly flexible varnish that you like? The only armour that is fully foam are the thighs and most of the belt but I don’t really want them to crack yknow?

I also bought a scout helmet file from Etsy though I’m not sure I’ll be able to print it anytime soon. I might have a local friend I could mooch off of but if that doesn’t work I’ll be using the helmet I made way back in the day. It’s a crusty nasty looking thing atm but with some tlc I bet I could get it looking good. At least until I can get a nice print.

Anyways I might actually have this mostly done before the con in sept. Excluding the lights and some of the pouches probably but it’s a huge progress for me Considering I was gonna give up on it entirely last year. And the undersuit.. ahhahaaaa… I need to remake it again. ok Byyye
Hi, your back piece... the lower vertebrae section, are those separate or joined to the back section... these are great pics, good work bud

Hi, your back piece... the lower vertebrae section, are those separate or joined to the back section... these are great pics, good work bud
They are individual foam peices, that are attached the the navy pleather with hook and eyes and magnets. The last one magnets to the undersuit too.

So while my helmet is printing I’ve finished the kneepads
I used 5" elastic as the band and to attach the armor I used 2" webbing sewn to the elastic, threaded through the Eva foam and hot glued to the armor to it creates a really secure sandwich. I can still kneel on the knees because of the foam and because the armor isn’t actually glued to the elastic I can maintain the stretch of the whole band.

View attachment 310993View attachment 310995View attachment 310994View attachment 310997View attachment 310996View attachment 310998View attachment 310999

I also attached the upper piece onto the shins, padded out some armor and fixed the boots, they were falling apart. Turns out the best glue for rubber x foam is CA glue.
I really like the knee pads idea, that's a solution to a problem I will use.

Loving the paint job on this, the weathering is on point.

Also really smart idea with the kneepads. My next halo build is going to be 3d printed (last one was fully foam) so I'll have to steal the idea of adding some foam to it.

Some full shots of me wearing my armor so far,

The helmet is ready for casting, fingers crossed nothing bad happens to it over Xmas, it’s a bit delicate in certain spots.
I still need the sniper shoulder and hand plates. I need to unclog my printer though so I’ll prob make it from pepakura and fibreglass. I think I’ll make the hand plates from foam.

I’m also curious if any of you are potentially interested in a casting of my helmet? If you are, use the surprise reaction so I have an idea of numbers, Once I have stock I’ll probably put some on the marketplace.

040F1219-270E-40BD-A6D2-36C32E76B7C4.jpeg24B29ED9-70D9-4D6C-A2F8-1CBFAA33ED6D.jpegDFEF0130-8218-4D70-9F8A-D827F1C19E2A.jpegC89D08C3-3230-45B1-AF92-5F41229BC30D.jpegB2C91665-B324-4662-8DCC-E3AD6C0AD559.jpegC533DEA6-7297-4A29-BBCD-8CA1C71FBCC9.jpeg054FEEED-19FA-48DC-A603-BB537D9DB38E.jpegAC0B2C5B-DB58-4A01-AF45-535D550C1114.jpeg93FD57BF-842D-4D8F-A53F-05A044658235.jpeg

It feels so close to being finished but the I remember I still have electronics, pouches and I’ve gotta redo my under suit again. Ahahaaaaa next year I’ll finish this for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back