Rookie ODST Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Whupass

Long time Lurker, first time Build-Thread-Poster. I started my ODST build and decided to go with Rookie because I've got limited imagination and even more limited time to work on this week to week. I build a H3 Master Chief back in 2009-2010 out of pepakura and after practically destroying my parents garage It was completed. then I left for basic training in 2011 and my parents tossed it (understandable).

now onto the photos.

A couple profile pictures
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
6.jpg

Its all 3D printed in a couple parts, I've got some touch up work still to do on the vents to make sure they're blacked out on the inside, but I didn't want to whip out my airbrush because I was being lazy and my son had woken up from his nap.

as far as build quality I know its got some rough parts, its not super smooth in EVERY WAY but I'm not bothered by that at all. If you're wearing a piece of kit that LOOKS brand new and you're supposed to be Special Warfare you're going to get hazed. I used to go out of my way to make sure that my Kit while I was overseas looked a bit beat up while being fully maintained and operational.

3.jpg
5.jpg

I made the padding from Polyurethane foam specifically because of its breathability and wrapped it with some soft stretchy material. the padding isn't attached to the inside of the helmet permanently because I've got orders out still for Sean Bradley's Visor and Henry's Helmet Fans that are on their way. Once I have them installed and working I'm going to make sure that the padding gets attached. the piece that goes around the Rim is going to be flush with the opening.

One of the things I really liked about ODST was watching helmets go on and off, something about them putting the helmets on was super satisfying to watch, which probably says more about me than anything else. I remember there being a scene in one of the games where the character puts their helmet on in first person and its some serious ASMR for me. I want that experience, I doubt it'll be as satisfying as it is in the game but whatever.

here's some blown out photos....
1.jpg
you can see in the photo where the vent still needs some working darkening the inside of it so it matches the vent itself and I'm not super happy with the weathering yet either but overall I'm happy with it.
2.jpg

I have a few other pieces printed like the gauntlet and most of the chest parts but I wanted to get the helmet done before I moved forward. let me know what you think please feel free to berate me and verbally abuse me and the quality of my work, its my love language.

-mazzy

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 137
Its crazy how blue that paint looks under certain light and grey under others.

Its crazy how blue that paint looks under certain light and grey under others.
I thought the Same thing! its literally called Stone Grey from Rustoleum from Lowes. to be totally honest, I don't hate it. I don't think ill ever be able to find the exact Rookie paint in rattle cans and I'm not looking to mix my own to run it through an airbrush. The black and grey are all hand painted with Citadel and Army Painter paint.

I got a package the other day that has the Helmet fans... and they are amazing. worth every penny if you're looking for convenience. they plug into a USB power bank and run off that. they each have a button to power them on and off individually. I know that I could have built this for less money but I don't understand electronics and I have more money than time to be honest

10.jpg

I also finished a gauntlet just in time for my gloves to come in. they're cheap "hard knuckle" gloves that fit great and would fall apart in 30 minutes of actual "tactical use" but they're fine for cosplay.

I split the gauntlets down the sides so they could be clamshell design and chopped off the elbow piece to reattach later so they open and close properly.
11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

I'm also debating something, I have a spare pair of CryPrecision Pants that I got while I was deployed and I'm debating dyeing them black to use for the cosplay. I don't use them for much anymore besides the occasional training and I don't care what color they are.
16.jpg

then again, I can get a knock off pair for 60 bucks on amazon that are fully black. I haven't decided yet.

that's it for now.

-mazzy

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 138
had a bit of a rough day, water moccasin was chillin on my back porch, had to drive 45 minutes back home to deal with it, then had to replace the screen in my back porch to keep the buggers out for good, 2 trips to Lowes. then had a total print failure requiring disassembly and reassembly. started my Shoulder Plate print and walked away to take a shower and came back to this.
17.jpg

so I guess its gonna be ok....

I wouldn't dye the CP pants. The Rip Stop is partially nylon, which doesn't dye well, afaik. Also, the "Forward unto Dawn" ODST armor actually has an OD undersuit.
Besides, if you don't use the pants sell them! Just the GenI knee pads cost a fortune these days :p

I wouldn't dye the CP pants. The Rip Stop is partially nylon, which doesn't dye well, afaik. Also, the "Forward unto Dawn" ODST armor actually has an OD undersuit.
Besides, if you don't use the pants sell them! Just the GenI knee pads cost a fortune these days :p
I do use them, just not as often as I'd like and I wouldn't sell the G1 pads under threat of death, those things saved my knees on more occasions than I'd like to admit. I have a multicam pair that fits better in my BOB gear with my training gear but I've been looking over the 343 Cosplay guide and they're definitely black. I'll probably just buy a black pair. Cry's site is down for some reason but I've seen some black cammo "g3" pants that look pretty sweet.

realistically all you see of the pants are a bit at the hips, a bit at the knees, and a bit at the ankles. as long as they fit it doesn't really matter what they look like so long as the color is accurate to the guide.(for me anyway.)

I originally thought it would be cool to do a Multicam ODST but that's too basic bitch for me. I'm kind of sick of looking at it to be honest. would it be a challenge? maybe. would it be cool? maybe. do I have the patience to stencil multicam onto armor? NOOOooooooope.

the Aesthetic I'm going for is Rookie at the very end of H3 ODST. been through the ringer, probably gonna need to do some maintenance on his gear, buckles replaced etc.

The Armor I was referring to is this one:
(hope that works). It isn't Rookie, but OD. Guess the ODSTs didn't take their urban greys to Arkadia's jungle.

I can understand the sentiment about CP clothes, I wouldn't sell mine either. Which is why I was shocked at the prospect of dying them (which I still think wouldn't work)

A while back I did actually see some British dude with MC ODST armor. I believe have took the hard armor parts and covered them in multicam fabric. Alternatively, if you don't mind the money, there's Kydex sheets in MC. You could heat graft them onto the parts you mean to camoflage

(hope that works). It isn't Rookie, but OD. Guess the ODSTs didn't take their urban greys to Arkadia's jungle.

I can understand the sentiment about CP clothes, I wouldn't sell mine either. Which is why I was shocked at the prospect of dying them (which I still think wouldn't work)

A while back I did actually see some British dude with MC ODST armor. I believe have took the hard armor parts and covered them in multicam fabric. Alternatively, if you don't mind the money, there's Kydex sheets in MC. You could heat graft them onto the parts you mean to camoflage
Look Mesh you're famous!

I did see that Multicam fabric wrap that the guy had on his armor and I wasn't a fan, multicam feels too grounded in the current timeframe and doesn't have that Future Look I'm going for.

I'm trying for a high speed low drag look that I feel like rookie has. I don't think I'm going to do the backpack though, that feels like a bit extra and its going to take up more room than is really necessary.

An ODST dropping into an urban city you're going to go Black/Grey Uniform, the OD Green for some reason doesn't sell it for me. ive seen that forward unto dawn movie and yeah those ODST's probably I'm going to stick with trying to make a Rookie ODST, the only extra flair I might do would be a Southern Regiment on my shoulder opposite the blood type decal.

Look Mesh you're famous!
this was exactly the one I was referring too, I love the idea and the execution is great, but like I said I'm kind of burnt out on multicam. I'm going for a High Speed Low Drag ODST look as well as cutting down on the work I have to do. this whole cosplay is to help me gain experience and skills so that I can start working on a Spartan after I inevitably become obsessed with MC after Infinite comes out. The new armors look Very similar to Reach and STAGGERINGLY different from Halo 4/5 designs in my opinion which I don't mind from a cosplay perspective. there seems to be much less emphasis on the under suit for the MK VIIs

but I digress, multicam while cool in its own right, not really a Halo pattern for me personally.

That is one of the comfiest looking odst helmets I have ever seen, looks great so far!

That is one of the comfiest looking odst helmets I have ever seen, looks great so far!
It really is, all I did was stick some soft textured athletic cloth foam Joanne's to some polyethylene foam with Super 77. I went with polyethylene because its better for breathability. open cell and a bit more rigid then something like memory foam.

polyurethane: very soft, probably more comfortable | Polyethylene: more firm but vastly more breathable and doesn't retain as much heat.
71QGOp6T5-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71pKk+9in1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Don't mean to persuade you into an OD ODST, it was more like "oh no, he wants to dye his Crye pants, I have to do something!!!" :p

Never knew there was a difference in helmet paddings. Need to keep that in mind!

Don't mean to persuade you into an OD ODST, it was more like "oh no, he wants to dye his Crye pants, I have to do something!!!" :p

Never knew there was a difference in helmet paddings. Need to keep that in mind!
For sure my dude. I actually learned about the foam while shopping for mattresses. the memory foam style is super comfy but retains a lot of heat. closed cell foam doesn't have the ability to breathe like open cell. weird what you learn about cosplay day to day.

Reactions: BAG
So I've been busy making the next few pieces of the armor. I've got both shoulders printed and temporarily attached together with the hinge by some spare filament and masking tape.

5.jpg

6.jpg

I started on the patterning for some of the under pieces that attach the shoulder to the under suit.
I'm probably going to redo them or just scrap them and use worbla and some shoulder braces I get off amazon. but I made the pattern so I figured I'd at least post it in the even I do use it.

1.jpg

3.jpg

they still need considerable sanding and finishing but ill tackle that once I'm further along with the other prints and can get my hands on more filler primer from Lowes.

I also started on the vest. its a foam pattern that I slapped together and plasti-dipped. I was immediately unsatisfied with the quality of the finish of the upper part of the vest on the front and it didn't have a proper neck seal, so I made my own.

its held together with masking tape and prayers but its literally my first try at doing anything with foam and fabric besides the supports inside my helmet.

8.jpg
9.jpg
7.jpg

now its purposely missing that back section because I'm going to try using that section to route the cables from the back of my helmet, down my chest and into my chest piece. I'm hoping it will look a little less wonky once its completed but I wanted enough space to work with.

I still have to print the buckles and attach them but that wont be difficult, the hard part is going to be making sure that the straps attach well to either the main chest piece or the vest itself.

I haven't decided if I'm attaching the plates directly to the vest or if I want to have it separate pieces that sit on top of it, possibly improving my range of motion while wearing it. the most difficult part is probably going to be connecting the strap to the main chest piece so that it looks good and not just like they're 2 separate parts that happen to bel close to one another.

Possibly having to cut a slat for it to sit inside and epoxy it inside so it cant go anywhere.

but thats it so far....

also i preordered the Elite 2 Master Chief controller. that's not part of the build, I'm just STUPID excited
4.jpg

anyway its fuggin late and i gotta work tomorrow.

As always please make sure to tear me apart emotionally and destroy my self confidence in my craftsmanship, its my love language.

-mazzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back