Sean Anwalt's Mk V build

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by Sean Anwalt, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

There's a totorial out there, or a tip, or something, which states if you put the spray paint can in warm water for a little while, it will help the paint come out smoother.

Bolling water does not do this.

Especially if you leave it alone.

20181029_203024.jpg

There was nearly an explosion at the Sean Anwalt house hold. Cap burst off and about gave me a heart attack!

Ans the paint came out gloppy, too!

I went over the helmet with some 220 grit, and that fixed a lot of the problems. It took a long time and my lungs are probably full of paint dust despite my efforts, but oh well, it's smooth!

I'll post a picture of the helmet when I have visible progress to report.

2. MajWood

MajWood Member

Sorry I didnt check this post sooner, the first thing I would have told you was DO NOT TOUCH THAT! Compressed anything and heat do not mix regardless of how careful you are.

Glad everything was okay in the end. Btw as a very very late note: when working with foam you are going to TEAR through blades but a 6$ - 15$ investment in a good knife sharpener at your local hardware store goes a long way into extending the life of the blade by decades. Also if you have one, a little Dremel tool or even an electric dog nail trimmer with a sanding bit will make beveling and smoothing sections a breeze, just make sure to wear a face dust mask.

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  3. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Sr Member

Wow. So the paint got cooked in the hot water??? Did not know that was possible.

4. Sean Anwalt

It didn't cook the paint, it expanded the air until the thing nearly exploded.

5. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Keeper of Con Lists Community Staff

Dude......you are soooooooo lucky. Don't you ever do something like that again. Please.

6. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

Lol a Starwars 405th regiment officer should know better than to do that. I'm just kidding, but maybe we can apply this to a prop frag grenade? :D

Dirtdives likes this.
  7. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

I think the term here is "steamed".

If only this was filmed for a don't try this at home video.

8. Dirtdives

Yeah well Sean Anwalt was almost "Baked"..........

9. MajWood

MajWood Member

Lol there is, it’s called America’s Funniest Videos or 1000 ways to die.

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  10. Sean Anwalt

Lol I have a host of friends.

And xXDashIVXx, this is a HALO group... not star wars. Star wars died when George Lucas prostited it in front of Disney.

11. Dirtdives

When he did what?!?!?

12. Sean Anwalt

What an abomination.

13. Dirtdives

What is "prostited"? And should this word go into Blackwell's Dictionary?

14. Sean Anwalt

He dangled probably the best sci-fi the world has ever seen in front of a giant gluttonous money-monger who uses it to stuff its own pockets with cash without regard for quality or the actual star wars universe itself.

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  15. Beemo8bit

Beemo8bit Jr Member

I'm hesitant to chip in on this, effectively being a new member, but I have no trouble with the current status of Star Wars or with Disney. At the very least, the new films are far superior to the originals in terms of diversity. Anyway. Maybe save this for the off-topic forum?

16. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

We all know the prequels are the best, and sorry for insulting you to being a 501st

Beemo8bit and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  17. GMer56

GMer56 Well-Known Member

Here ya go everybody!

I finally got a respirator and use it for smelly/dusty work. I'm never going back to not using one. It makes quite a difference and is worth the money just for the smell elimination alone. Plus you get to sound like Darth Vader.

18. Sean Anwalt

Took some 320 grit to the helmet. It's SO SMOOTH! A few more rough places to smooth out, and I'll be ready for painting. Would have done it already, but didn't want TurboCharizard to tease me.

Got the visor cut to shape, I think a little trimming at the corners and it'll be ready to install.

Trying to figure out the paint scheme for the helmet. I'm sticking with O.D. green, but highlights and details I'm trying to iron down.

Pics:
    20181104_055422.jpg 20181104_055355.jpg 20181104_055347.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  19. TurboCharizard

Me? Being sassy? :whistle:

It's looking awesome. I find that the Reach concept art has a bunch of awesome markings and details that didn't transfer over to the finished in game textures but make for a great point of jumping off and creating your own personalization. Unfortunately the only concept sketch I could find of the Mk. V helmet you're building is all one colour of olive drab so it's not too exciting but colour splashes are my jam.
    images.jpg Reach_concept_HAZOP.jpg Rosenda_3.jpg

Schankerz has a pretty rad custom colour scheme for the Mk. V UA

Dirtdives, Lieutenant Jaku and GMer56 like this.
  20. Kula

Kula Member

Yeah man OLIVE DRAB!!

But have a look at Tamiya modelling paint. They have Olive Drab 2!!

21. TurboCharizard

What's the 2 stand for? More drab?

22. Dirtdives

I’m still waiting on a translation of the word. “Prostited “.

23. Sean Anwalt

I am not a fan of disney. In a former rant on the subject I stated something along the lines of Disney not giving a hoot for star wars, it's characters, or the fabulous star wars universe created by a unified coalition of fans who created a PLETHORA of books and stories on the subject. Instead, Disney's lazy eyes lolled up to star wars, changed into money signs, and then, giving this amazing and hard- working coalition the biggest bird possible, swallowed the star wars universe and inflated it with unspeakable disappointments such as millenial bad guys who are as deep as a politician's promise and thoughtless writing, deserving nothing more than a quick shuffle to the other side of the street with disdainful look in one's eye.

May those in disney be swiftly and ignominiously placed into their specially reserved spot in a hot and uncomfortable place. Money slobs.

George Lucas, seeing the money signs AND a possible (and well deserved) way to avoid over- zealous nerds bombarding him forever, snatched his creation, Star Wars, kissed it gently on the forehead, and desperately cast it to the glutton of disney, whence there was no going back.

THAT, Dirtdives, is my definition of George Lucas "prostituting" star wars.

24. xXDashIVXx

xXDashIVXx Active Member

But that's prostitutes, not prostited...

Begocer, Dirtdives and TurboCharizard like this.
  25. Kula

Kula Member

Its a not so drab olive drab...lol
    Basicly lighter

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.