Spitfire22V's LD Mark VI build - Now Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulatons you added another spartan to the list, man it looks awsome, Im jealous you got a nice photoshoot, You will have to work the kinks out but once thats all done you should feel somewhat comfortable in it but I agree its hot wearing the armor and you got guys here wanting to use a suit to play paintball in lol, Im walking on egg shells when I put my suit on but I think I have it all figured out, I have the same problem with the forearm movement and getting used to being wider and bigger just getting through my house has been a challange and I almost forgot walking around in wide shoes thats diffrent, oh and did I mention that suit is badass and thank you for showing your progress and how you did everything im sure it will help others with there builds I know it helped me

Congratz that you finally made spartan come to life! I'm really speechless now. Your armor, your progression are going to inspire others a lot from now. I hope to see your future build too if possible. Very an inspiration!

yyeeaaaahhhh boyeeee!!!!! congrats dude!! this is an awesome build!!! and in 4 months... nice!!!! very well done man.... well done....

Thanks guys! Glad you like the suit. I'm still in awe at it. I stood in front of a mirror for minutes just looking at myself and thinking "That's ME!" :cool

Congratulatons you added another spartan to the list, man it looks awsome, Im jealous you got a nice photoshoot, You will have to work the kinks out but once thats all done you should feel somewhat comfortable in it but I agree its hot wearing the armor and you got guys here wanting to use a suit to play paintball in lol, Im walking on egg shells when I put my suit on but I think I have it all figured out, I have the same problem with the forearm movement and getting used to being wider and bigger just getting through my house has been a challange and I almost forgot walking around in wide shoes thats diffrent, oh and did I mention that suit is badass and thank you for showing your progress and how you did everything im sure it will help others with there builds I know it helped me

Yup, that's exactly how I felt. Like you have to learn how to walk and move all over again. I was bumping in to stuff, and walking up or down stairs was super awkward. Like we've mentioned, maybe we're just baby-ing the suits because they're brand new and we want them to last, but I hope I grow more comfortable in it. And you're right about the Paintball thing! No way I could play in that. To all the people who want a suit for paintball, if they tried on a full suit, they'd know the truth: ain't gonna happen, not worth it! Trust us!

Btw, Justinian: I do plan on editing some of those photos to add some more "Halo flavor" to them. Also, the clear coat I used is Krylon Crystal Clear in Satin finish. I should have used Flat finish, but I had already bought and started using the Satin, so I decided to keep going with it.

And just because, I thought I'd share some of the things I've learned from this, or what I would do differently if I were to do it over again.

1. If making a Pep suit, start in the warmer months! Too many days wasted not working on the suit due to cold, rain, snow, or just all-around bad weather.
2. Not happy with the scale of some parts: specifically the thighs (too small) and the shoulders (too big).
3. Should have practiced my dry-brushing technique more. Not too happy with how that came out.
4. If I were to do it over, yes, I admit, I would just use the HD Pep files. They just look better, and would have required less Bondo work in the end.
5. Get an actual Gold mirror visor (though it's not too late for that!)
6. It would have been better to buy undersuit components specifically for this project instead of repurposing stuff I already have. The handguards are a good example: if I had bought a pair of gloves just for this suit, I could just glue on the plates instead of having to use a non-permanent solution like the elastic.
7. Maybe I would try Rondo on some parts? Or apply more layers of fiberglass? I don't know, but the suit seemed plenty tough when I was making it. The first time wearing it, maybe I'm just nervous about damaging it, but I being as gently as possible. Some more hardening may have eased my mind, though I'm also nervous about the strapping holding together.

And there you have it. Of course, this thread is not dead yet. Still have some other things to work on that I will continue to post in here. :)

Yup, that's exactly how I felt. Like you have to learn how to walk and move all over again. I was bumping in to stuff, and walking up or down stairs was super awkward.
If it's any consolation, in the novel The Fall of Reach, the Spartan IIs had the exact same problem when they first got their suits, too.

You're Completed suite looks great and has been an inspiration to allot of us. And as I've said time and time again you're walk thru's have been very helpful.

But all that said.... The Question is......Whats next?
Yes, We want to know what type of greatness are we going to be watching next. You hinted at a mag..........

IMG_5359.jpg
"Dude, I killed a fat Elite and he was THIS wide!"

ROFL

Dang dude!! this looks real good. I'm glad you finished it. Now its time for you to make another. Lol! Well, I guess you should first wear this suit around to random places and take pics. Anyways, I'm very impressed and it turned out very good. Great work!!!

I love the attachments to the arms, and for some reason the visible straps look so cool to me. I would not want to pick a fight with you. Great job!

If it's any consolation, in the novel The Fall of Reach, the Spartan IIs had the exact same problem when they first got their suits, too.

Ah yes, you're right! I read that one a long time ago, but I do remember that now. Who knows, maybe after some practice, I'll be running and jumping with it!

You're Completed suite looks great and has been an inspiration to allot of us. And as I've said time and time again you're walk thru's have been very helpful.

But all that said.... The Question is......Whats next?
Yes, We want to know what type of greatness are we going to be watching next. You hinted at a mag..........

Well, I'd like to do a small undersuit to detail the waist area and hide the suspender straps. Also, I have to finish the Magnum and magnetically mount it to the right thigh. But other than that, I have no immediate plans for another full suit, at least not until I've worn this one for several events.

"Dude, I killed a fat Elite and he was THIS wide!"

ROFL

Haha, nice! This is what I thought up, but I think your caption is better!
Ilovemyarmor.jpg

Congrats. It doesn't look like it's LD at all. The next post you need to do is here.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29498-How-many-completed-halo-costumes-on-the-405th

Done and done! Ever since I first went through that awesome thread, I couldn't wait to join in too!

Dang dude!! this looks real good. I'm glad you finished it. Now its time for you to make another. Lol! Well, I guess you should first wear this suit around to random places and take pics. Anyways, I'm very impressed and it turned out very good. Great work!!!

Yup, I got to enjoy this one first before doing something else. Maybe by the time I'm ready, Bungie will have announced a new game?

I love the attachments to the arms, and for some reason the visible straps look so cool to me. I would not want to pick a fight with you. Great job!
Thanks, I really like the look of the ammo attachments! I thought they would distract a lot from the base Mark VI look, but they're actually quite subtle. You're right that the visible straps don't look too bad after all since they add some detail to the look.

Congradulations on finishing this thing spitfire! i can only hope my build turns out nearly as good as yours! Thanks for your help on my build so far by the way!

Thanks guys! Glad you like the suit. I'm still in awe at it. I stood in front of a mirror for minutes just looking at myself and thinking "That's ME!"

LOL I know exactly how you feel. I still do that every now and then. Total AWE!

Congrats on getting it done! Love the photo shoot you took with you in your armor! Looks fantastic.

Can't wait to see more and any mods/tweeking/addon's

Well done!

:)

woop woop! detailed undersuit (well, sort of detailed undersuit) cant wait for that.

I'm still working on finishing the Magnum, and I'm thinking about how to go about doing the abdominal undersuit.

Congradulations on finishing this thing spitfire! i can only hope my build turns out nearly as good as yours! Thanks for your help on my build so far by the way!

Thanks! And you're welcome; your build is coming along nicely too. :)

LOL I know exactly how you feel. I still do that every now and then. Total AWE!

Congrats on getting it done! Love the photo shoot you took with you in your armor! Looks fantastic.

Can't wait to see more and any mods/tweeking/addon's

Well done!

:)

Thanks! Updates will be fewer and far between now since the majority of the work is finished. But I expect to add quite a bit more to this thread as time goes on. :)

Here are some leftover photos of the shoulder padding. I didn't post these earlier (or take photos of the forearm padding) because I was just too excited to finish the suit and try it on!

IMG_5071.jpg

Used a mix of EVA foam and low-density soft foam to make it a snug fit. Probably wouldn't have needed so much padding if the shoulder were a bit smaller...
IMG_5073.jpg

Added the remaining elastic to further secure it.
IMG_5075.jpg

And some progress photos of the Magnum. Put a full coat of primer on and did some sanding. Finish shaped the wooden pieces, and glued in the trigger and handguard (which broke while trying to fit it in :()
IMG_5080.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

Painted the magazine and the "bullets".
IMG_5082.jpg

I may have a slight issue: with all the wooden detail pieces I'm adding to the Magnum, I'm afraid it wont sit flush on the thigh piece anymore if I want to magnetically attach it. I suppose I could fashion some mounting blocks for the gun to glue to the thighs, but I would like to avoid that. Any suggestions/advice on magnetically attaching the Magnum are more than welcome.

(STILL have not received my magnets I ordered...it's been too long now!)

Thanks for stopping by!

Dude, everything you've done is ridiculously awesome! I've spent, I think, the last hour going through this thread xD

I may be stealing some of your ideas, especially the way you attached your handplates and boots!

Just a question, could you please post the dimensions of that visor you bought? I'm thinking of using that for my Scout, but I'm not sure if it's deep enough. Kudos!

And now I must go eat breakfast... yay for 405th Addiction :D

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

Swift, please feel free to use any idea you found here. I'm curious to see how others tackle any similar issues I had during my build, and whether these solutions are universal.

Regarding the visor, I purchased THIS ONE.

Not sure what the dimensions are since I didn't measure it before I trimmed it and installed it. It's a regular motorcycle helmet visor though, so I imagine the size is pretty standard. Considering the visor opening of the Scout helmet compared to the Mark VI, I'm pretty sure something like it would work just fine for you. Since the visors are just plastic, they have a little bit of flexibility in them that you can use to get them to fit properly. Hope this helps! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back