SPYDA's NOBLE 6 (Female) Scratch Foam W.I.P (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyda

Woo Hoo! Glad to be able to post properly because of the Revert...Advanced apologies for double (triple etc) posts - copied over originals from vb5

I have been watching build threads on and off for a while but am only just now a new member. Being inspired by so many great projects here and especially foam builds (like those of LilTyrant and RoxyRoo for example-but not the only ones) I decided I would get off my butt and actually make something.

I know I am a little late to the game and probably one of the older noobs, but hey, gotta do something with my spare time! So this build will be my FIRST EVER costume for an actual event (SupaNova in Queensland, if its ready for Brisbane, otherwise the one at Gold Coast next year).

I am only really able to work on the build during weekends so hopefully I can do updates each week...Stay tuned to see me muddle through my first armor build.

Enough of the BLAH BLAH, latest progress will be updated here but read recent posts to see more info.

UPDATED BUILD PROGRESS

Working on Shins
20130818_134950_zpsd1c0f20d.jpg

COMPLETED LIST:
Gloves th_0e0a14fe-c724-4a19-9667-14902b174501_zps8b9afaf4.jpg Pistol th_IMAG0237_zpsc39e9dc6.jpg Cod th_20130721_111239_zpsbde8f03a.jpg Boots th_20130814_131722_zpsdbe893ed.jpg

Any comments, helpful criticisms or suggestions will be appreciated!

So I have made a start...small I know...The Gloves are complete!
1 th_IMAG0134_zps426f7d5f.jpg 2 th_IMAG0129_zpsa5ff58c8.jpg 3 th_IMAG0130_zpsba07b717.jpg
1.Made Gloves 2.Added Finger Padding 3.Made and Added Hand Plate (May be too small??) *Excuse the daggy feet at the bottom of the pics!*

And for the completed and painted gloves:
0e0a14fe-c724-4a19-9667-14902b174501_zps8b9afaf4.jpg

I was able to do some work on the Torso this long weekend.

Vents. Shoulder blades. Joined.
th_IMAG0161_zpsf1ecd142.jpgth_IMAG0162_zps7c21a806.jpgth_IMAG0164_zps8bc3a4f2.jpg

Chest. Back joined to front.
th_IMAG0166_zps51e471a8.jpgth_IMAG0170_zpsfec41daa.jpgth_IMAG0169_zpseeeee836.jpg

Still have to add the lighting and do some detailing.
As always: suggestions, advice or helpful criticisms always welcome!

So I have made a start...small I know...The Gloves are complete!
th_IMAG0129_zpsa5ff58c8.jpg
Those are some snazzy looking gloves!
Wait, did you say made gloves?!
I'd be interested to know how you made those little bits on the fingers, if you don't mind, that is.

+1 for Australia. Unfortunately, I can't make Supernova Sydney next week. Glad to see we've got some more support up in QLD - you might bump into Sara at some point, I think she's up in QLD somewhere too.

Cheers,
MS7

E: ...and in the time I was typing this up, you've posted more things.
Chest piece is looking good so far, just watch that it doesn't warp/twist under its own weight in the time you're not working on it. I've got a foam Reach torso currently sitting in a very similar state, with some minor twisting.

Here I was thinking no-one would be interested lol.
I made the gloves from jersey knit and the bits on the fingers are just 2mm craft foam cut to shape and hot glued on (note: wear 2 pairs of latex gloves underneath so you don't burn yourself through the fabric with the glue)

Thanks for the heads up on the warping, I will keep an eye out for it :)
Hope to see more people from Oz too!

Wow this I looking amazing, and I am impressed that you made the little finger armor pieces, I can't wait to see how this project turns out!

Good job, I am glad to see that there are more than just infantrymen sticking around with the site.

Thanks guys for the encouragement!

Only a small update this week. I did some smoothing of the edges and made the neck seal/padding thingymibob (can you tell I have no idea what it is called).
th_IMAG0181_zps01dd3968.jpg

Also I worked on the rib sections. I nearly did my head in trying to figure out the angle bits where the rib sections join the chest!!
th_IMAG0182_zps1b9b01bc.jpg th_IMAG0183_zps9f1ff71c.jpg

Still have to shorten the ribs and put in buckles and lighting but I think I will wait to shorten until I have added the armor padding around the armholes.

Hopefully I will have something a bit more substantial to show next week.

And again, any feedback is welcome!

I know I am a little late to the game and probably one of the older noobs, but hey, gotta do something with my spare time!

Uh.. am I the only one thinking - "salute this lady for redefining the term 'noob'?? I mean common.. dem gloves! The smooth craftsmanship on the foam.. bahaha, you had us at "Aussie" the rest is a bonus ;D

*Double fistbump*

Wait, did you say made gloves?!
I'd be interested to know how you made those little bits on the fingers, if you don't mind, that is...

My thoughts exactly

Here I was thinking no-one would be interested lol.
I made the gloves from jersey knit and the bits on the fingers are just 2mm craft foam cut to shape and hot glued on (note: wear 2 pairs of latex gloves underneath so you don't burn yourself through the fabric with the glue..

Excellent and thank you very much for the tips / inspiration, we were looking for something to put Jessica's gloves over the top, and that's definitely it. Keep up the great work!!

This build is looking really great! You MADE gloves? That's just plain awesome. The torso armor looks really great! Nice clean lines and excellent detailing so far! I can't wait to see it all finished!

WOAHHHH I just had a mind explosion, I can't believe you made those gloves! That's insane! Also your torso on the back fromt he pics it looks like glow in the dark paint... is it?.... that would be cool!

Uh.. am I the only one thinking - "salute this lady for redefining the term 'noob'?? ...

...Excellent and thank you very much for the tips / inspiration, we were looking for something to put Jessica's gloves over the top, and that's definitely it. Keep up the great work!!

Aww shucks. That means alot! Glad I could help someone out, hope it works out for you.

TD-0013 :Thank-you, I have been working hard on the lines, trying to keep them clean...probably wasted more foam than needed just to get them to my liking but off-cuts are always handy lol

Looking really good so far. Gunna be keeping my eye on this one :)

Wow, Drack of all people :D Your foam work is amazing and I have been watching the vids you have made for tips!

WOAHHHH I just had a mind explosion, I can't believe you made those gloves! That's insane! Also your torso on the back fromt he pics it looks like glow in the dark paint... is it?.... that would be cool!

Hehe Thanks. It would be cool if it was glow in the dark paint but unfortunately it is just the strange color of the foam lol. Will be covered up with paint but then the lighting coming out of the vents should look cool too.

Anyway, I didn't want to do an unnecessary bump of my thread so I had to do a little update too.

I made the Ab plate when I got home from work.

th_IMAG0186_zps1b9fabb8.jpg

The plate is just sitting under the chest piece for now. Have to tidy it up a bit and am not sure if I want to add another little section to the plate or to the undersuit.

th_IMAG0189_zpsc8d90410.jpg th_IMAG0190_zps6eff4aae.jpg

Till next time,
Spyda

Awesome work, Spyda. Your edges look incredibly clean, are you sure you're a noob at this? Can't wait to see what's next. Keep up the great work!

Aww shucks. That means alot! Glad I could help someone out, hope it works out for you.

Me too lol thanks again! Probably gonna make mine (gloves) without the finger tips, use similar pieces for the top most segments and knuckles. Not sure what material yet. Been working on patterns like a crazy woman today lol :)

Very nice, I especially like the rounded edges. It looks better imo then just having another sharp edge. Did you heat bend it? or cut on the opposite side to achieve that look?

Thanks Ravarkian. I can asure you I am most definately a noob. If you saw all the bits of foam around my work area (a.k.a kitchen table) from the many do-overs you would see I am a noob :p

Necrogenesis, I can relate to the "working like a crazy woman". At the moment I am doing that every spare moment I can get working on the armor and sourcing materials.

Spartan-214, thanks for the compliment :) Mostly the sharper bends are cut out at the back and glued to hold the shape, slighter bends and curves are heat gunned.

Sorry guys, I haven't really achieved much for this weekends update. (Too much fun, a late night and walking home 5km at 4am equals not much work :p )

So what I was able to manage was painting and properly attaching the Ab Plate.

th_IMAG0196_zps2d6e38fc.jpg th_IMAG0197_zps323dda3e.jpg

In the pics it looks alot darker than it actually is. IRL it is more silvery.

Also I made the armor padding around the armholes.
th_IMAG0201_zps5bd37bdb.jpg

Still need to round the edges and add some detailing lines. The gap is there only because I haven't bought any buckles to close it yet.

One last thing is I started the lighting for the back. So far I have the spine vents lit.
th_IMAG0200_zps6547ad26.jpg

Hopefully I can have more painting done and finish the lighting for next week.

You know the drill, comments, criticisms, advice always welcome :)

This is a really cool build. the lighting effects for the spine are awesome.
Here's to you getting it done for supanova, it should definitely wow some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back