Studio-scale TOS Shuttlecraft (PIC HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
I don't know how many people here are familiar with Star Trek (the Original Series in particular), but after posting this on a couple other prop forums recently and seeing the response it got, I figured I'd also post it here for everyone to see (some of the text below may seem inconsistent, as I simply copy/pasted it all from my other WiP threads elsewhere, and so all the following information actually spans almost a two-month period).

This is a large-scale model I've been wanting to scratch-build for a while now. I'd originally drawn up the following blueprint:

TOS Shuttlecraft
dsc00521ov.jpg

Which measures in at a whopping 18 3/4", but after some coaxing from a few folks I decided to scale it up a bit and began drafting a set of blueprints for the 22" studio-scale filming miniature:

Studio-scale TOS Shuttlecraft -- Pic 01
dsc00552ty.jpg

Studio-scale TOS Shuttlecraft -- Pic 02 (comparison to my original 18 3/4" blueprint)
dsc00553f.jpg

Studio-scale TOS Shuttlecraft -- Pic 03
dsc00554x.jpg

Studio-scale TOS Shuttlecraft -- Pic 04 (close-up of interior details)
dsc00555v.jpg

Studio-scale TOS Shuttlecraft -- Pic 05
dsc00556d.jpg

Studio-scale TOS Shuttelcraft -- Pic 06 (close-up of rear details)
dsc00557r.jpg

Studio-scale TOS Shuttlecraft -- Pic 07
dsc00558ze.jpg

Studio-scale TOS Shuttlecraft -- Pic 08 (close-up of interior details)
dsc00560x.jpg

I fully intend on doing up the interior, maybe even wire it for lighting (a first for me). I was thinking perhaps I can construct the body out of sheet styrene, both the internal frame and skin, and hopefully find PVC piping of the correct diameter for the nacelles.

There are even plans in mind to mold/cast this and make it available as a fiberglass shell kit, complete with interior pieces, but more info on that as I near completion on this build.

Here is the now-final side profile for the blueprints that will be used for the build:

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 09
dsc00587m.jpg

I'm still working on drafting the dorsal (top) view:

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 10
dsc00588gy.jpg

And haven't even gotten around the ventral (bottom) view, but even so I couldn't help myself and started transferring some of the measurements to some sheet styrene I bought earlier in the month:

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 11
dsc00589qm.jpg

So far, I've only transferred the top half of the Shuttlecraft to the styrene for cutting, but will get to the bottom half shortly. Then, I'll start scribing/cutting out the various pieces for assembly.

I went out and picked up some acrylic tubing for the nacelles, with the correct 1.5" outer diameter. Didn't even have to order online; I'd forgotten there's a shop in town here that specializes in everything plastic (sheet, tubing, etc.). I've already marked off the areas that are to be cut out -- forward landing gear, inset step -- and have begun cutting those out with my trusty Dremel tool.

As I've now gotten that material, I also began cutting out the various parts I traced out on styrene. Here are a few progress pics:

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 12 (the beginnings of cutting out the pieces transferred to styrene)
dsc00607s.jpg

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 13 (at this point, I've managed to put the main parts of the upper half of the hull together; the front plate is just loosely taped in place for test fitting)
dsc00609u.jpg

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 14 (wanted to see what the hatch doors would look like, so I taped them in place just to get an idea)
dsc00610u.jpg

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 15 (close-up of said hatch doors)
dsc00612b.jpg

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 16 (good thing I decided to just test fit the front plate, as I discovered I need to trim a bit off the sides; I've got the correct taper to the hull (front to back, top to midpoint), but somehow miss-measured the base of the front plate)
dsc00614e.jpg

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 17 (also decided to test fit the engine housing at the rear, and it's a perfect fit; will cut out the recessed engine vents before gluing in place)
dsc00616f.jpg

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 18 (also started working on the nacelles; the forward landing gear and inset step have already been cut out, and will be working more on those details soon)
dsc00617si.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 19 (have begun adding the "lip" around the middle; the plan is to have this on both the top and bottom halves, so as to help line up the hull when putting it together)
dsc00638a.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 20 (these are all the pieces that I have managed to cut out and start working with)
dsc00635s.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 21 (close-up of the rear section pieces; I've even begun work on the landing gear)
dsc00636q.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 22 (close-up of the side hatch)
dsc00637d.jpg

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 24 (Finally got the bottom half mostly assembled! Yay!)
dsc00647x.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 25 (Here's how it fits with the top half; perfect!)
dsc00643m.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 26 (Another shot of the two halves together, this one from the rear)
dsc00645t.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 27 (I added a cross brace to help maintain the proper shape; this should help with molding it)
dsc00644e.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 28 (A quick test-fitting of the hatch components)
dsc00646x.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 29 (Close-up of hatch components; added a thin styrene layer to the front to show recessed windows)
dsc00648v.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 30 (Close-up of rear landing gear)
dsc00649g.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 31 (For such a small part, this is actually pretty big; the hydraulic piston measures 3 1/4" long and the landing pad measures 1" by 2.5")
dsc00650j.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 32 (Close-up of the seat assembly; only one of these will be scratch-built for molding/casting)
dsc00651j.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 33 (Measures 2.5" in height overall)
dsc00652o.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 34 (The base measures 1 1/4" tall and the chair measures 1 5/8" tall by 2 1/8" wide by 1 3/8" deep)
dsc00653d.jpg

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 35 (added the rear panelling underneath where the main engine will be; the top half of the rear panelling will be attached to the top half of the hull)

Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 36 (also finally cut out the front windows)
dsc00657jf.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 37 (here's a better size ref pic for those interested; it's not a Coke can, lol, but I hope this helps to give a general size comparison)
dsc00658al.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 38 (close-up of the rear panelling on the bottom half)
dsc00659zr.jpg
Studio-scale Shuttlecraft -- Pic 39 (here's all the other components made so far and being completed; today's addition was the nacelle support struts)

(Added more details to the rear landing gear; you can see the cross bars for the hinge, on both the hydraulic piston and landing pad)

(Also began putting together the forward control panel)

(The next three pics shows how it fits inside the bottom half of the hull, along with seat)

(Test fitting of all the major components; top and bottom hulls, hatch/door, forward control panel, pilot seat)
dsc00668h.jpg
(Looking in through the viewports)
dsc00669h.jpg
(Looking in through the hatch/door)
dsc00674r.jpg
(Heading into the interior)
dsc00676e.jpg
(Another close-up of the interior)
dsc00677el.jpg

I decided to do a little more work on the smaller parts I've already started, and primered them all show detail better in these pics:

(Group shot)
dsc00678t.jpg
(Rear landing gear)
dsc00679b.jpg
(Hatch/door parts)
dsc00680o.jpg
(Seat; it's nearly done)
dsc00681d.jpg
dsc00682a.jpg
dsc00683eb.jpg
(Forward control panel; I added the bottom edge to the port and starboard control surfaces)
dsc00684ok.jpg
(It's mostly enclosed now, and has a decent weight to it)
dsc00685f.jpg
(Another angle to better show the bottom edge, indicated by the unpainted styrene)
dsc00686k.jpg
(Also began smoothing over some of the seams on the bottom half of the hull)
dsc00687f.jpg
(The seams on the underside of the hull took the most effort)
dsc00688j.jpg
(Close-up of the bow details)
dsc00689t.jpg

For all of the above, I smoothed everything over and removed any excess putty from the seams and overall surface, then primered each so I could more easily see the remaining imperfections to be puttied/smoothed over.

(started adding some of the finer details to the surfaces on the forward control panel)
dsc00690j.jpg
dsc00691a.jpg
(closer to finishing the nacelle support struts, too)
dsc00696v.jpg
(cut the top edge at an angle so the struts sit at the correct angle when put in place)
dsc00697yu.jpg
(also added the beveled edges to the struts)
dsc00698q.jpg
(started making the forward vents for the nacelles, as well)
dsc00693g.jpg
dsc00695y.jpg
(test-fitted with the other nacelle parts; lookin' good)
dsc00705p.jpg
(finally got to work on the nacelles some more; started adding the rear vent details)
dsc00699nw.jpg
dsc00700qa.jpg
(did some work on the forward landing gear too, now that the rear one's nearly finished)
dsc00701e.jpg
dsc00702wn.jpg
dsc00703e.jpg

Given my anal-retentive standards for detail and accuracy, after looking over a few pieces of the build I've been working on, I've now noticed some things that I'm not quite happy with.

As such, that'll likely mean a complete redo of those parts. It's a shame, given all the time and effort I've already put into them, but I know I wouldn't be comfortable with sub-par parts for this build. It wouldn't sit well with me.

(managed to round out the corners of the view ports on the face plate)
dsc00720s.jpg

(primered the forward control panel to look for further imperfections; still have to add the pilot controls on the left-hand side)

(did further refinements to the nacelle support struts)

(plotted out the slots for inserting the struts on the nacelles)

(added details to the rear panel that goes underneath the main impulse engine)

(even cut out the large access panel to make it more "functional")

(added details to the underside of the bow; have also begun cutting away styrene for placement of the bottom curved edges of the hull)

(close-up of bow details)

(added details to both nacelles; also cut out the slots for inserting the support struts)

(perfect fit; this is just how I wanted it to sit in the slot, able to maintain the correct angle on its own)

(the port nacelle wasn't such a success; I guess I trimmed a little too much around the slot opening)

(but they both fit well, which was my main concern)

(redid the first of two forward nacelle vents; it's considerably thinner than the first one I did)
dsc00739r.jpg
(now it looks more like it should, based on what ref pics I have of the 3/4-scale exterior mock-up)
dsc00740u.jpg

I had to put my Dremel tool back on the charger (sucks only having one battery to work with), but once it's ready to go again I plan on cutting off the excess styrene along the edge of the top half of the hull for placement of the curved edges. Also have to finish cutting those so I can do that, lol.

Slowly but surely, she's getting there :)

Super awesome! Love Star Trek. Once, long, long ago, the TOS shuttle craft was the first model that I scratch-built with a cardboard box and some paper towel roll tubes.... it turned out fairly well for a second grader's first try.

Beautiful work! And your methods give me some ideas for making N-scale Btech Dropships.

That's some Grade-A stuff Elvis!

Holy smokes Elvis! I may be a make WAR not TREK kinda guy but I can still handle the original (it's the Shat) and that looks great! Love the detail you're putting into it buddy.;)

Just make sure to see it through to completion eh? Don't need another wip cluttering up your work area now do you?:p

You mentioned other prop forums, you're not a member of the RPF as well are you?

Thanks, guys! I'm very pleased with how it's come along so far myself :$

It took plenty of hours pouring over whatever reference material I could find online before I was able to draft a set of blueprints that were to my liking (I'd found some online, but none of them were accurate enough), and then get to the actual physical build.

This is one iconic prop item I've wanted to put together for quite a while now, and so am glad to finally be doing it.

You needn't worry about me not completing this, Joe. As you pointed out, I've got more than enough stalled or on-going WiP projects lying around :p

This one's been a long time coming for me personally, and since there are plans to do a limited kit run of these (this will be used as the molding master) I can't not finish it. So, you guys will see this done.

And yes, I am member of the RPF. Joined up there a few years back when they had open registration for a short period of time. I'm also a member of six other prop forums aside from here and the RPF, lol.

I don't frequent some of those as often, though.

Anyway, I hope to have more progress to report on this soon. Stayed tuned...

EDIT: Just wanted to let everyone know progress on this project will likely slow down a good deal as I just got a one-month data entry contract. Working regular business hours, which means I'll have much less spare time on my hands to work on this, but will do what I can as quickly as possible.

EDIT # 2: Well, good news is that one-month data entry contract has now turned into a permanent position, so I'm now back among the fully employed. The only thing is, given the hours I'm working and the long commute to and from work (1 1/2 hours each way by bus), it hasn't really afforded me any time to work on this. I'm going to try and get back to it as soon as I can.

My apologies to everyone who had been following this WiP thread previously; I realize it's been over two months since any sort of update on progress has been posted.

Don't want to bore anyone with the details, but aside from the aforementioned job situation (and the long bus commute to and from work, which has me getting in the door around 8:00pm) I've also been having to deal with some unexpected and sensitive family matters. So, needless to say, life's been keeping me busy.

Good news is, I've allotted myself the better part of today to get back to this project. My goal is to get the warp nacelles, nacelle struts and wings done, as well as finish trimming the "lip" running along the middle of the hull, and finally permanently secure the front plate (with viewports) in place.

I should have some pics to post sometime tomorrow.

Okay, here they are! :)

Things didn't start out too well on Saturday, as I found myself all thumbs with some of the parts, dropping a few of them. Most of them were alright, but the starboard nacelle strut took a bad hit:

dsc00799dh.jpg

But it fixed easily enough. I'll likely have to reinforce it so it remains intact during the initial molding process. Next up, I managed to make some more progress with both nacelle wings:

dsc00800i.jpg

dsc00801v.jpg

dsc00802c.jpg

As I did with the nacelles, cutting slots to allow for ease of assembly and in the right place, I've created recessed ridges on the underside of each wing to keep the struts in the correct spot and correct angle (see next three pics):

dsc00803s.jpg
dsc00804e.jpg
dsc00805gv.jpg

I also managed to trim down the ridge running along the middle of the hull (realized it was sticking out too much, after going back to some ref pics). Looks much better now, imho:

(like on the screen-used models, I even added the slightly curved front edge on the bow)
dsc00808sn.jpg

I also used my Dremel tool and removed the excess styrene running along the top edges of the hull, to allow for placement of the screen-accurate curved edges:

dsc00809lj.jpg

The front plate is also now permanently affixed, I'm pleased to say:

dsc00810i.jpg

Though it may not be very noticeable, on the bottom half of the hull I also began rounding out the edges railing from the bow to where the curved edges will be placed:

dsc00811zi.jpg
dsc00812z.jpg

And for the last new WiP pics, a couple shots of the puttying work I've started to fill in the top and bottom seams of the front plate:

dsc00813f.jpg
dsc00814ce.jpg
dsc00815w.jpg

That's all I've got for now, but I plan on doing more as early as tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get those pics sooner than this time around, lol.

Thanks, dude. I know it's been some time since I've posted an update, and for that I apologize. Things have still been busy with work and those family matters I alluded to, and what with Christmas right around the corner I haven't really been left with any spare time to devote to this project.

On top of that, there's been a new (and rather upsetting) development.

About a week or so ago, with my gf's approval I went about clearing up a small make-shift work bench that was down in the storage room --> My New Workspace

The initial cleaning up of the work space went fine, and I managed to get everything set up just as I wanted it. But, not too long after I'd finished my gf came up to the prop room to tell me there had been an accident with my work bench downstairs.

To make a long story short, what had happened was the bottom-most shelf -- which was weighed down with some small 1/2 gallon paint cans -- came crashing down on top of my work area. As such, all of the interior set pieces I'd put together (ie. seat, forward control panel) were smashed to bits. Surprisingly, the rear landing gear somehow avoided destruction, although being in the same area.

Luckily, I'd put the main hull far enough away that when the shelf came down it didn't even come close, and the flat parts (ie. nacelle struts, wings) as well as the acrylic nacelles weren't harmed, but as of now I'll have to redo the interior bits.

So, I'm afraid that part of the build definitely won't be done before Christmas. Possibly the body kit, but as things haven't died down yet I can't make any guarantees. Anyway, just thought I should let those interested in this know of this unfortunate delay. Sorry, guys :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back