Suggestion:Yearly Moderator Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendude, why don't you try the election system out on the 105th? As it is a new community it would be easier to instigate these ideas, as opposed to the 405th which is far more established.

John closed the 105th last week due to - Lack of interest and People critisizing us about starting a new forum (ALOT fo 405th people werent kind to us about that) . I agree that a new community would be a good test ground for new ideas. Maybe I should start up a forum where we can test ideas there and then see how people ract to them. It may be a good way to find out what would work on the 405th (without having to actualy put them into effect on here )

great idea man, i would love to become a mod
i am out of school and i am always on so i have plenty of time right now =D and during school, i don't get very much homework so that is good

John closed the 105th last week due to - Lack of interest and People critisizing us about starting a new forum (ALOT fo 405th people werent kind to us about that) . I agree that a new community would be a good test ground for new ideas. Maybe I should start up a forum where we can test ideas there and then see how people ract to them. It may be a good way to find out what would work on the 405th (without having to actualy put them into effect on here )

Adam has already, more or less, torn that idea to pieces, drenched it in gasoline, and set it on fire. He's been pretty consistent about keeping the entirety of the 405th here. It's a nice thought, but really, the moderators weren't chosen because of a lack of intelligence. If any system is implemented (one won't be, if Adam is still Adam), it would work out decently or be reversed entirely; no trial run would be required. Also, if ideas needed input, Adam and Co. would ask for opinions here instead of using another site as a malnourished test subject.

And, for the record (because I am horrible at conveying emotion through text), that was not at all meant to be offensive/derogatory/etc., this subject is just a dead horse that is still relentlessly beaten by the crazed farmers of this plot of land in cyberspace.

great idea man, i would love to become a mod
i am out of school and i am always on so i have plenty of time right now =D and during school, i don't get very much homework so that is good

A lot of members here aspire to become moderators, but there isn't enough demand to add so many moderators to the staff roster, unfortunately. Still, you can always help the site by reporting posts that break the rules and helping new members get accustomed to the site and the hobby in general. It's the same job as a real moderator, except you're less like Superman and more like a vigilante. How cool!

A lot of members here aspire to become moderators, but there isn't enough demand to add so many moderators to the staff roster, unfortunately. Still, you can always help the site by reporting posts that break the rules and helping new members get accustomed to the site and the hobby in general. It's the same job as a real moderator, except you're less like Superman and more like a vigilante. How cool!

YES...thats what I wish people would do rather than sit here on the general forum discussing 405th policy/finding neat out ways to contain the noob "apocalypse".BECAUSE no matter what trick you make up to make the noobs read the stickies,or make them not be able to make a thread untill they have passed a test about 405th basic armor making,or whatever.The noobs will still always get in.Period.And about 405th policy,its Adam's site.In the end its his choice,And I trust he will make a fair and balanced judgement.And lastly I don't think we need any more Mods...except Venture.(Honestly Dude your awesome.:) )

Adam has already, more or less, torn that idea to pieces, drenched it in gasoline, and set it on fire. He's been pretty consistent about keeping the entirety of the 405th here. It's a nice thought, but really, the moderators weren't chosen because of a lack of intelligence. If any system is implemented (one won't be, if Adam is still Adam), it would work out decently or be reversed entirely; no trial run would be required. Also, if ideas needed input, Adam and Co. would ask for opinions here instead of using another site as a malnourished test subject.

And, for the record (because I am horrible at conveying emotion through text), that was not at all meant to be offensive/derogatory/etc., this subject is just a dead horse that is still relentlessly beaten by the crazed farmers of this plot of land in cyberspace.

I do agree with you on that first part. It wasnt accepted well.......AT ALL.

This has all been discussed in the past, many of which may not have been around long enough to have been present for the discussion and or remember it.

The forum is privately owned and operated, and those of us whom own and operate the forum choose the individuals we trust to help us run it. Think of the 405th.com forum as a business rather than a government body and you will understand why those that run the 405th are not elected, but rather chosen from the membership. While moderators have been selected in the past from the general membership, often enough it has been those whom we are most familiar with on a personal or semi personal nature (as close as can be on the internet), and therefore those we can trust, that are selected to become moderators.

There are a few people that come to my mind as possible candidates for forum moderators. Of those few members that have been approached, and a as graciously as possible, they have so far declined. Do I blame them? Of course I don't, and I completely understand. Moderating isn't all fun, games and popularity. Its a job, and I hate to break to most, but its a job your expected to do. Also, what you do outside of the forum reflects on us, and if we can't trust you as a person, we certainly wouldn't trust you to be a moderator.

Really, nothing here moves quickly, change is slow, and we all know the pains the forum goes through, but we aren't ignoring the forum, and we aren't just letting it rot. We have a few more Halo Games left in the franchise, and we still intend to be the #1 Halo Costuming Community. Change is coming, just not tomorrow.

As far as the 105th goes.... We have always said that we don't take kindly to other forums poaching our membership. If you want to start a forum, by all means, just don't expect to advertise it here.

I'd like to add my own personal experience as an Admin and Mod for a few gaming communities to let you know how I had to operate for a few years.

As an Admin and a Mod. (I had the same experience for both.) I was expected to take care of EVERY problem that the community had, whether it be bans, resolving conflicts, regulating the site, making sure people knew the rules and followed them. I had to personally ban a friend of mine due to his racial slurs over and over again. I felt horrible about doing it, but I had to place my job over my friends. 0ther times, I got into arguments with members because I banned their friends and how mean I was, and they too got banned. I had to witness the beginning and the collapse of my community as we had some of our best admins go rogue, ban everyone, start very heated arguments, one of them actually committed suicide because some of the rogue admins posted his personal info and pictures of him everywhere. We were hacked, DDoS'd and had many internal conflicts inside.

I'm not trying to make it seem like being an Admin or Mod is bad, I enjoyed doing my part helping the community in anyway possible. I was actually chosen first out of anyone else to be an Admin due to my contact with the higher-ups and that I did my best to report any issue at hand.

I'm just saying, it takes a lot of work, time, and dedication to be at that level. In fact, I spent more time having to regulate the site than I did enjoying myself. I know the majority of you all know what an Admin or Mod has to do and how hard it it, but I'd just like to explain how its not some easy power trip you get. Spase made a very good point, trust in that person goes a L0NG way. While I'd like to believe that all of us on the gaming community were chosen because we would be able to help out and we could be trusted, a lot of members became admins due to being close friends with the admins and simply got in because they were ''popular'' or "cool''.

I was dropped from Admin status when I went inactive after I took a priority on my life and had to fix my life before I could fix a server.

Please, don't take it that I'm trying to make it seem like some heart-stopping, mind-blowing, horrible job that only those who have the balls can handle, my community wasn't doing so well and most of our top admins went berserk.

I just wanted to share what I had to go through and how much effort goes into keeping a site safe, clean, and running.

I wont say that I have never had to file a police report over an incident involving the 405th and one of it's users.

As far as the 105th goes.... We have always said that we don't take kindly to other forums poaching our membership. If you want to start a forum, by all means, just don't expect to advertise it here.

Never intended to forum poach . I never wanted people to leave the 405th. The idea was to have a place for 405th people to go to be a small "branch " per say. I think I may have expalined that in the original thread (I may be mistaken) . Sorry that this escalated to somthing bigger than it should have.

-Jacob

I like that your trying to bring some democracy to the forums, but personally i think it should stay a dictatorship. better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back