Why Don't People Type Properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mjolnir follower said:
Mods should lock this thread,its becoming flamed,and its basically pointless and stupid.Like we all know that we should type in a normal way(way that has mostly correct spelling and at least some punctuation).No further discussion.Mods delete or lock it now.a

End of discussion.

I disagree.

This thread has had minimal flaming.

It's an interesting topic with dabs of humor and still having reason, I don't believe this should be locked.

-Stig

Last edited by a moderator:
mjolnir follower said:
Mods should lock this thread,its becoming flamed,and its basically pointless and stupid.Like we all know that we should type in a normal way(way that has mostly correct spelling and at least some punctuation).No further discussion.Mods delete or lock it now.a

End of discussion.

I also disagree - there is very little here that could be construed as "flaming" anyone. I think it's interesting to see different rationales and viewpoints on this issue. I think it's no more "pointless and stupid" than a large percentage of threads in GD. The Mods certainly don't need to be told what to do and are eminently capable of making the decision on their own. The discussion should end when either THEY or the COMMUNITY decides it will end, not when you decide it should - sorry... :)

I also disagree.

Uh...

Oh yeah. I disagree because this thread made me audibly chuckle. Not a "Your joke wasn't funny, but I'll laugh to make sure you don't get embarrassed and this conversation doesn't become awkward." chuckle, but a "That was clever, good sir." chuckle.

xalener said:
Don't try to crunch me in to your little group of fools... I try my best when posting on ANY site.

When I post, I'm usually making a point. If I want to make a point, I want to be taken seriously. If I want to be taken seriously, I can't halfass my way through anything.

belieee dat

Before any of you give me a tumbs up or thumbs down, I just want to say I can go both ways on the subject at hand. I do believe people should put their best effort into it, but I don't think people should have to call one another out on it!

However, if you want my opinion on the subject, my answer is "why?" I mean does it really bother people so much that not everyone spells perfectly? I know and fully support that everyone here strives and tries their best, but we all aren't going be perfect spellers. You have to realize that some people don't care about spelling on the web, to them its the internet, and they don't think anyone should be telling them how to spell. I strive to spell my best, but I know I won't always have the best grammer structure. And let me ask you this, does it bother you so much that you have to call someone out on it? I don't think you should complain about how others spell, its just not your buissness to do so. I fully think people should try their best, but you have to realize that we do have some dyslexic and forigen members on here. To me this topic is kinda pointless. I think people should pay more attention on armor building and enjoying everyone on and everything rather than worrying about our fellow members spelling. I'll give an example on how I feel about it.

1. Hey guys check out My new armor. Its cool! {See thats not an issue for me, its readable and I only see a few capitial & punctuation errors there.}

2. 0hai guiez! cek 0ut meh neu armer its koo! {Thats where I would draw the line, its hard to read and its in "text" speak.}

So, in the end as long as its readable, its fine with me. But if its like example 2, then I'd have an issue with it. This isn't a chatroom.

FYI I'm not calling anyone out on this, Its just my personal opinion on the matter!

DreadMullet said:
In all honesty does it really matter?

Are you going to fall over and die because i didnt spell something correctly?

honestly... My grammar and spelling online isnt what it should be, but this is because i am usually doing something else, typing quickly and hit the wrong button, or not reading back what i wrote. Now when writing a paper, filling out an application, or any other important document i will take the extra couple of seconds and use proper grammar/spelling.

There are far greater things to concern yourself with than the improper English on the Internet... deal with it.

now instead of bitching, lets all go build some armor... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I totally agree:

I really don't mind Improper grammer, bacause when your playing a PC game, you can't afford to stall the team when your trying to type every single word correctly, that takes too long, and jeperdizes(see, can't spell that word either) the game plan. you have to type quick; but, I also agree that "text slang" is innapropriate, for example:

1. war u b @? @ tines st. wit m3 boz.

Translation: where are you? I'm at Tines Street with some friends.

some Text slang sentences are very unreadable and require explanation, do I really want to sit here and write an essay? No. and besides, this is the internet, if you haven't learned "Internet Slang" yet, leave. because it's already becoming it's own language, "Mametic." for example:

"H3Y DUD3, D1D Y0U 533 PR0J3CT 003 L457 N1GH7?"

"Y4, H3 W45 47 V47H4774."

Translation: "hey dude, did you see project 003 last night?"

"ya, he was at Valhalla."

this is common when speaking in code that most people use during Internet chatrooms more than texting though.

so in the end, STOP COMPLAINING, because it's becoming a new language, there's nothing you can do about it.

TO ADMINS: Please Lock this thread.

With Love,

PR0J3CT 003

ponchato said:
No matter where you go on the internet, you will find people that that don't spell properly, use correct grammar, use correct (if any) punctuation, or a combination of those three. Why do people not type properly?

well i do it for the fun of it! because i can type a sentence like this, Or b liek dis nd sound out meh wordz!

The English Language said:
Stop Raping Me!

Awesome quote.

Also, Bloodl3tt3r, you should honestly Google that or don't have it in your sig at all if you don't know what it means, it gives memes a bad name.

Adam said:
4. blame text messaging.

Actually, Adam, I believe the Harvard Med. School (don't quote me on that) finished a recent study showing that text messaging and other forms of short, text based communications does NOT have a negative affect on the way people type.

The true problem lies with the laziness of the modern American!

Spartan137 said:
Actually, Adam, I believe the Harvard Med. School (don't quote me on that) finished a recent study showing that text messaging and other forms of short, text based communications does NOT have a negative affect on the way people type.

The true problem lies with the laziness of the modern American!

I believe Adam was breifly saying,

Text messages are commonly charged per word, and I've seen some even per letter, and it is also just based on "ppl" being easier to type out than "people."

So, if people get in the habit of this, they start writing like this on boards, school papers, resumes, and even in their jobs. I always type like a normal person, and I usually try to type correctly on MSN so I am used to it.

this is common when speaking in code that most people use during Internet chatrooms more than texting though.

so in the end, STOP COMPLAINING, because it's becoming a new language, there's nothing you can do about it.

And this is why you'll never see me in an Internet chat room.

It's own dialect, maybe. But then again, so is ebonics. If you want to speak like an ignorant ass fool, do so on your own time.

Proper standard English is the preferred method of communication on this board. not L337 H4XOR SPAEK.

No one on this planet is perfect, We make mistakes,This thread should be "Why dont people stop Wars and Hunger?", But yet its about "Why Don't People Type Properly?"

Project003 said:

TO ADMINS: Please Lock this thread.

With Love,

PR0J3CT 003

The beauty of the internet is that I can complain all I like and you can feel free to spend all the time you want in your chatrooms. It's not a "new language" any more than baby speak or dog barking are new languages (and I don't see either of them catching on as the dominant form of communication anytime soon). Sure, there will always be babies and dogs using them but the vast majority of rational adult people who wish to be understood by their rational adult peers choose to express themselves using proper writing style, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

What seems cool for little kids in a chatroom isn't going to work in the professional world and your thoughts and opinions will be ignored and ridiculed if you are unable or unwilling to make the effort to express yourself properly. Everyone makes the occasional spelling or grammatical error and no one expects absolute perfection. This does not excuse the intentional butchering of the English language based solely upon the desire to expend as little energy as possible (laziness) or out of a desire to appear "l337" to impress your friends.

Actually, I CAN do something about it and choose to do so every time I draw attention to the indecipherable textspeak ramblings of another slacker-nation wanna-be. If the Mods wanted to close this thread they could have done so before now. Just because you don't like the fact that yours is not the popular view is no reason to request that this thread be closed. If you don't like the opinions being stated, either stay out of the thread or take the time to respond in an intelligent manner and continue the debate on an intellectual level. Hopefully the Mods will leave this thread open as I find it interesting to see all the justifications for this type of behaviour.

Yodajammies said:
And this is why you'll never see me in an Internet chat room.

It's own dialect, maybe. But then again, so is ebonics. If you want to speak like an ignorant ass fool, do so on your own time.

Proper standard English is the preferred method of communication on this board. not L337 H4XOR SPAEK.

Indeed.

We are not in a chatroom, nor are we playing an online game with limited time available where fractions of a second count. We are participating in a highly specialized internet forum dedicated to recreating some relatively complex projects. The ability and willingness to invest the time to express yourself clearly and intelligently actually matter here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back