Xtreme Tactics 101- Look Who's Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost left for the same reasons. I then came back, seeing that nothing has changed...

*sigh*

This place should've stayed mjolnirarmor.com.

Peter Cooper said:
- the new members and the beginners may not be the big, well respected Elite, but they are still a huge group who are learning the craft - many of them also very young.

I just would like to say that my 2 cent

I get a lot of questions to me, either from here as PM's or Youtube as messages or whatever and it can be "annoying" sometimes because it is usually the same questions over and over again about Pepping and FB or Bondo. But I remember when I first started out I still read through the entire site and still wasn't sure of myself to do the steps. So I am very glad like members like Flying_Squirl, Doc ByTes Slyfo, Robo, Adam, Spase, and many other who were nice enough to be nice to "patrol" the site and help out others. And now as an Elite I know that I need to set a good example by helping others, even noobs.

But when it comes to noobs who are being pushy and "shaking the box" I disapprove of this. There has been a influx of younger members (ages from 12 to 15/16) who have not learned how to, saying this in it pure form, to be polite. You don't rip on someone, you don't complain about how another person types online(unless it is cRaZ1E, you don't discourage other members work, and the list goes on.

Note to ALL: Please try not a write something that can be taken in as a rude or demeaning manner. Do unto others!

Arcanine: What you said was rude. You have not been here long enough to say something like that. "Put up or Shut up"? Two Codes broken: Honor & Unity.

Xtreme T: Just stay with it man! Ignore the "noobs" who don't know better but it is better to let them know that their IS a Code of Conduct on this site and it must be followed.

Armor, Honor, Unity

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear this, Xtreme. I do agree that a break would probably do you good, but I think, like Brutas, that leaving will not fix the problem. It's members such as yourself that need to set the example for the new people. To be honest, I don't know you very well at all, but I've seen you around on the forums and recently purchased that helmet from you, and I'm very impressed with how you handle yourself. We need more people like you here.

--

Contributing to the how-can-we-make-this-better discussion, here's a few suggestions that I think all members should take to heart, especially in the newb forum:

- Posting "pics or didn't happen" should only need to be said once. If you see another member has already said, "Hey man, you need to get some pictures in here and post once you do," you don't need the next five people saying the exact same thing. That will keep topics that are.. less-important (for lack of a better phrase at the moment) down until they can get some quality in them. This should also be the same approach with a necro, if someone has said, "that was a necro post," you don't need more people continuing to point it out. But remember that there are instances when necro is okay. Read what the person has posted before you look at the post date and dismiss it. If it contributes to the discussion at hand, raises an important question that hasn't been asked in a more recent topic, etc, it's okay.

- Phrase your posts so that they are unoffensive. Contructive criticism is the key. Debating is fine, but when the tone of your post starts to seem rude, it turns into a flame war. This is the internet, you can't instantly understand if what the person is saying is meant to be offensive or not. Arcanine, as seems to be everyone's example, had a good point, though it was worded in a way that was offensive. This is discouraging and, like we've established, can lead to flame wars very fast. This is incredibly important with newbs, how you post, they need to be encouraged. I think what happens, with the veterans, at least, they forget that we were all newbs at one point, asking those same questions that the newbs are asking now. I must say, though, admittedly, it appears to have become more frequent. This can be fixed with moderation. (Not to say the mods aren't doing their jobs, they're doing great. We just need to crack down a bit more.)

- No more of this "learn to type properly" nonsense. This is, as I said, the internet. While it's disheartening that typing literately is on the downward trend, it doesn't have to dictate your interaction with people. I witnessed in a thread the other day a series of posts by a member that did nothing but berate the original poster on his/her grammar and punctuation. This is not helpful, this is rude, offensive, and generally frustrating. What's worse is that there was no contribution to the topic at all after the grammar-trolling was done. Are you going to insult an Elite member because they don't use punctuation? Then why is it any better to target a newb?

I hope I'm not overstepping any lines by throwing those out there, but I think if we'd all just stop being at each other's throats, it'd get so much better. I agree with a mandatory intro-video watching, and I also agree with the "here's-your-password" email should also come a list of sticky topics or useful threads that we tell them to check out first.

It's like the 405th is hitting puberty or something, we're at a very awkward stage where, if we don't acknowledge what's going on and try to correct it, things are going to go downhill very fast. If there's anything we can do to help, Adam, just say the word.

Hey Xtreme, from the very beginning, you've been incredibly helpful in getting me on my own two feet here on this forum. So, like everyone else, I'd have to say you shouldn't go and we wouldn't want you to go. It's true, you have committed a lot to this community and I think that should be even more reason for you to wait for things to bounce back. That is, if they ever do.. but I mean, once in a while there is still the odd talent that pops up that makes staying on these forums so worth it; to see the kind of quality work that should really appreciated around here. That isn't to say though, that I don't feel you on the negative points you brought up.

In fact, I completely understand how you feel on ALL those points.

I'll get PM's where they'll just be like "hey saw ur thread i want armor likez urs where u find files? give me link asap" like wtf? I'm sure you've gotten more than enough of those types of messages from noobs and I mean, it is true. Anywhere you go, I think someone should earn the respect they desire rather than think it is implied as a privilege. I do also agree with the comments made about how noobs may or may not want to sit and read like a million pages but who gives a damn. You want to learn? Read the damn stickies. Or not even that, just read around IN GENERAL, usually people will outline their techniques for something.. eventually you'll build up enough knowledge to get started.

I've definitely noticed the general decrease in respect and amount of tactful, quality members around here as of late, not that I've been around for a long time (as an official member) but I Have been reading on these forums for a long time, so far back as the site was still mjolnirarmor.com. It's incredibly disappointing to see the kind of direction the forum has been going in and I mean, it's looking pretty grim..maybe even passed the point of no return, who knows?

Now, as negative as that sounds, there was also the point that outside of the noob forum, the discussions are pretty respectful, informative and there are even some threads where people have put together group projects that span different countries. To the credit of that point, I think you should stick around and see what could happen. If mods could find a way to dedicate more time to enforcing the rules a little more strictly, you never know. The entire forum could make a huge turn-around.

It is still obviously your choice, but in the end I hope you do choose to contribute further here. If not, best of luck with everything.

As a 37 year old new bloke, and this being my first post, I feel a little daunted about entering any discussion on the site. There really is an attitude present and reading the saga of Rube's abandonment of the site had me more than a little upset with what people will do to bludge off others.

I'd hate to see experienced and creative people bail out just as I'm getting started.

If topics were more tightly moderated the new-comer wouldn't need to wade through the tide of "can you give me your armour" posts or the "Awesome +emoticon" clones to get to the meat of a discussion.

I realise that by being new here my opinion will not carry much weight but I could easily rack up hundreds of "Awesome!" posts if that is what is required...

Dude..Don't go,you're like my only friend on here.You've given me heaps of helping advice,you've posted lots of great tuts.

You're my inspiration,I see your great work and it motivates me,I feel so lonely here on 405th.

I guess when we started to talk on my scaling tut thread,you taught me lots of stuff along the way,now I look back and understand what you said when you said 'It's only healthy competition,because yes,yes it is.

Noobs dont always start off as noobs,I started off as a medium noob,but I wasn't of the kind that goes:

"HY GYS,HOWW DOOO I BILD HALO ARMOARZZ".That should not be allowed.Maybe we should consider bringing back the you have to wait until registration opens thing again.

We need you Xtreme,we need your tuts,we need your inspiration.We need you.Recasters are recasters,we should try more to prevent it,but there isn't much of a way that makes it foolproof.

Drakku probably summed up my nest lines.

Just don't go man,don't go.

Well, after reading over each post word for word multiple times, I have actually realized how welcome I am here. Although being a contributing member who posts tutorials whenever possible on new or un-discussed topics, I had taken to thinking my contributions of time and effort were fruitless. I can honestly say now, I was far from right.

I honestly think this thread was worth posting. It was originally a warning, now it is a wakeup call. Finally nearly everybody on the moderating team and 405th staff have realized that the 405th has declined in its once great stature. Hopefully over the next few weeks and months, this will improve.

Although I still question leaving, I can honestly say that more then 99% of your comments have helped me realize this is still a great place to be. I thank all of you for that.

I’m going to keep up with my armour and weapon props as much as possible, even if I decide to leave. Weather leaving for me is permanent or temporary.

Thanks again everyone. Your helpful comments through this rough bump of my time at the 405th has really helped smooth the once Mount Everest sized bump into a mere grain of rice.

Cheers!

Well, even though I was not patient enough to finish the Carboard BR, it was awesome to look at the pictures of your BR! :D

Thanks for the Inspirations! :)

I think a large part of this problem is the same as that when halo 3 was released.

1. Big Halo game launch near Halloween = Costume wants by proppers and the public for both game release and Halloween and big cons like D'con etc. all at the same time.

2. We get a flood of new members inspired by the new game to make costumes.

3. Mods and staff and a lot of vet members don't have as much time to moderate or reply to threads as folks are waist-deep in trying to get projects done for the same deadlines causing the flood of new members.

The end result is a temporary influx of members with less moderation. Look up threads from May 2007-November 2007 and see if you don't find more than a few similarities to the problems you are referring to now. Things will cool down by December I bet.

Also folks, if people are being rude or trolls please use the report button. We can't read every new post every day especially with a lot of new members around. Reports bring stuff to our attention. The attitude of this forum has always been a high priority of the staff and mods(see Sean's sticky in the Noob forum), and we will do our best to maintain and improve it.

Xtreme Tactics 101:

Even though I just joined a few weeks ago, even though i have little to Zilch experience in armor building, even though I'm probably one of those n00bs that you are leaving because of, I can say that i'd hate to see you go. Your scaling thread and advice has no doubt saved my barely even started ODST, and I'm thankful for that. Personally, I know what more n00bs instead of more newbs can do to a community. I've seen my clans across many RPGs destroyed by them. I've left the place (Games Workshop)that taught me everything i know about modeling because of n00bs. Anyways, I just wanted to say:

1. If you are still considering it, I'd(and i'm sure many others would) hate to see you go.

2. I'm sorry for being one of those n00bs if i was (probably) one of them.

3. All good and bad things must come to an end. eventually.

my thoughts? i have been here over a year now, and i know what you are talking about. lately, the new posts have been mostly crap. like, i log in just about everyday and go through the posts, and see nothing but noobs (aka ppl with like under 20 posts) asking a retarded question. like, i understand ppl dont WANT to read the stickies, or other ppl's threads, but that is what u HAVE to do. seeing ppl give in to these guys is wat makes it worse. I hate seeing somebody ask "how do i scale this?" or "help me think of this?" or "how should i make this?" and then ppl answer. i didnt do that when i was a noob. WE HAVE A QUESTION TEAM. ASK THEM! its not htat hard to wait. if u are a noob, and are planning to start a new project, do what every other person does when planning a project:

-take some paper.

-write down what u want to do.

-write down how u are going to accomplish it.

-write down what u need to do it with.

if u do this then that should give you a guide to making your armor. and tell you what you need to know. Then, go to the stickies, read up on ur topics, go to the videos, watch ur topic in action, and you should be grrrreeeaaatttt! but, if u still have questions, ask a mod, or a member of the q/a team and they will not only answer your question, but will probably give u links too! i know our search engine sucks, but our q/a team rocks, our stickies rock, so there shouldnt be any reason for these useless threads being posted. im with kensai when i say we need to start lockin up the pointess crap so that way members dont have to read it, and it doesnt eat up more bandwith. put thats just my 2 and a half cents.

SpartanPhalanx1 said:
I think it was more the wording of Arcanine's post than his actual point that ticked some people off. His point is valid, but his wording was rude.

I'm female. :rolleyes

Also, I do apologise for coming off as rude, but I honestly couldn't think of any way to phrase my points. And my motto runs: if you can't hack the heat, don't venture into the kitchen.

With a fandom as popular as Halo, you're bound to attract a LOT of unwelcome attention. It's just par for the course that some of the more popular associations are going to pull in a bad crowd, and the veteran members suffer for it. Heck, this thread is your good example. And seriously, you ARE going to have to put up with it - if the mods are doing all they can, the best you can do is bite your lip and try to ignore it.

You're the only person who has seen fit to complain. Does that suggest more to be a problem with you, or the community at large? If you bash the community at large for not fitting in with your perceived expectations, aren't you just as bad as the people you're angry with? Bite your lip and just ignore it. Every person deserves a fair chance, and it seems like you just expect every new person to be the next Jesus Christ, or something.

Now, recasting. THAT is a problem to focus on, but you really can't guarantee anything will be safe. When you sell a product, you're selling it for money as much as you are for the love of the product. You can't guarantee that the buyer is some sleaze-bucket wanting to earn a few bucks - there is no safeguard preventing recasting, because once your item's out there, anyone can get their hands on it. Even unscrupulous people with no regard for ettiquette.

It's a shame that it happens, but can you REALLY do much more than blow the whistle on suspects and see that justice is done?

Rather than putting your effort into ranting about how this community is supposedly falling apart, try spending your efforts into positive input. Be a responsible member, and rather than rage about things, do something to prevent whatever it is that annoys you. Might not happen quickly, but being a good role model is a start.

Dang, I just read this topic now, after taking a weekend break for many of the reasons you've described for leaving. I made a somewhat angry annoyed reply to another noob asking a question a few days ago, and realized it was probably time to take a step back and go offline for a few days. I'm actually glad to see I'm not the only one who's been bothered by this stuff. I'm quite new, and have amassed a stupidly large post count in a short time somehow, but I do my best to be a good forum citizen despite my lack of actual building experience, and help out anyone who needs it. I work very hard to avoid getting involved in arguments and flame wars, I probably only submit about half of the posts I actually write. Rejected posts include flames, arguments, and snarky but hilarious remarks that add nothing to the discussion.

My advice: don't let them get to you. Don't get into arguments, even if you're right. Ignore flame posts, report them, and they'll go away quietly instead of turning into giant wars where everyone gets warned. If the authors continue posting flames, junk, or spam, they will be weeded out even faster. Be an elitist prick: you're better than those people, don't sink to their level. I was GOING to post an annoyed response to the guy in the "revolutionary pep whatever" thread (you know to whom I am referring!), but I DIDN'T, because he was so obviously wrong and behind the times that it wasn't even worth words. (I did -1 his post and report it, if I recall) The conversation went in nice, GOOD directions for about a page, then it was brought up again and the whole thread went to pot. So slow down, ignore jerks, and let things sort themselves out. It's very zen. Ohmmmmm.

A lot of people feel the same way, so in the end it was good to bring it up. Now I would never be as extreme to quit because of something like a bunch of noobs but I can see where he is coming from, and so do a lot of other people. If you have a complaint, then yes please voice it! A lot of issues can be resolved by the mods and administration, so feel free to voice your problems. I would not post individual threads about complaints though, perhaps make a sticky thread for complaints or an area in the forums where you can post.

This is a worthwhile topic and not noob bashing anyways, a lot of these problems come from people either not following the basic rules of all forums, or from people not reading the stickies, which is "highly encouraged" (about as close to law as possible) in the 405th Infantry Div.

Oh and another idea I had, it is probably too late now, but whenever a new game comes out (like Reach) perhaps a few carefully chosen people can be deputized as moderators? Just for a few months around the release.

Sorry I called you a he Arcanine, but you do not have anything on your posts that show me that you are a female. No avatar, your screen name is neutral, and there is no signature.

I don't post that often, as my numbers clearly show.

Xtreme, the reasons why you get so many "N00Bs" asking for "armorz" is that your stuff is top notch.

You put time and effort into your projects and it shows, The new guys and even some of us vets look up to that and go "holy crap I want that" If you leave your efforts go with you, and there are only so many master builders on this site (I'm not one of them). Yes the constain Pm's get annoying, just disable them and get people to e-mail you.

As a fellow Canuck, we need ans many as we can get. (the language barrier between us and the Americans is difficult).

We the community can only show you the door, you get to make the decision of going through or not.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Well, after reading over each post word for word multiple times, I have actually realized how welcome I am here. Although being a contributing member who posts tutorials whenever possible on new or un-discussed topics, I had taken to thinking my contributions of time and effort were fruitless. I can honestly say now, I was far from right.

I honestly think this thread was worth posting. It was originally a warning, now it is a wakeup call. Finally nearly everybody on the moderating team and 405th staff have realized that the 405th has declined in its once great stature. Hopefully over the next few weeks and months, this will improve.

Although I still question leaving, I can honestly say that more then 99% of your comments have helped me realize this is still a great place to be. I thank all of you for that.

I’m going to keep up with my armour and weapon props as much as possible, even if I decide to leave. Weather leaving for me is permanent or temporary.

Thanks again everyone. Your helpful comments through this rough bump of my time at the 405th has really helped smooth the once Mount Everest sized bump into a mere grain of rice.

Cheers!

Look, Xtreme, you have helped me really much on my journey through armor making! The scaling tutorial is awesome! Please don't leave, because there is no other BR tutorial, nor any other as great scaling tutorial! You've been so helpful!

Either if you stay or if you leave, I Salute You!

Regards! :(

Masterbest1

First and foremost, two statements: The first being that I am new. I know very little of what goes on here. However, it is because of veterans like those that have posted here that I'm slowly (and I can't emphasize that enough) gaining a command understanding of how you guys do the incredible things that you do. Not just with Halo related items, but the inherent application that these methods can be slated towards. The second is that - the only reason I joined this site instead of lurking - was because of the core values. Now, I didn't know what the 405th was like before my time. I cannot draw on that experience. And I'm not going to drag my past "forum experience" into this discussion. None of us need to hear that at this point.

The allure of those values is what drew me to register and start voicing my opinion and my knowledge. I can see what you mean in terms of chaos amongst members both old and new. That the civil seem to be a dying breed. And even that remaining neutral or positive seems to be slipping away and rude mindsets are taking hold. That concerns me as a new member just as much as it likely does to you as a veteran. But before I go any further, I understand that you are not typecasting any new member. You simply have made a statement about a growing trend and I can understand that.

Even though I am new, I'm frustrated with the ignorance some people can show when they fail to read a clearly marked sticky. Or at least give it a good search beforehand. I've never had to ask a question thus far. I've found all of my resources neatly laid out in front of me thanks to the veterans hard work. All I had to do was read. The concept of stickies and canned information is not foreign to the forum scene. This really does seem to make sticky-answered questions all the more frustrating. I can definitely understand your ire about it.

In my short time here, I've seen a few fantastic artist leave for similar reasons and it actually hurts me on a professional respect level. Not for the individual mind you. But more so for the overall craft. I can't help but wonder what great things they might have produced for me to marvel at if they had not left. Of course, nothing is to say that they won't be back one day. And that is my hope for those greats who have gone. I also agree, however, that new blood is circulating through the sites veins. New blood means new talent. But like any child (paraphrasing a new member), the parenting is going to likely dictate what kind of adult they grow into. So that's why we need the good vets now more than ever - if things are turning so poorly as you state.

I'm just a kid in all of this. I can only hope to get to the level most of you have. I'm going to try my rear off to do it. I've always stayed as neutral as possible in discussion. And I can understand that sometimes the bad really seems to outweigh the good. Your participation in the community is voluntary. Nobody has a gun to your head, and I don't believe you are paid for this. Sometimes people lose sight of that (this paragraph also kind of applies to the site administration). A thankless job most of the time that can wear on you.

You don't know me from a hole in the wall. And honestly, I know you no better. And that's alright. But one thing I do know is that you've been a great help to this community. If you have to go, that is unfortunate but I do thank you for your contributions. But I'd rather not see you do it.

I have not magic solutions to fix the problems as you see it. I can only do my part to try and keep it clean and follow the core values. And hopefully convert some of the more unruly of members back onto the right path and work in the spirit of the 405th.

And I love writing novels... sorry about that. I just really hate to see another vet leave.

Hmmm, I feel compelled to add my thoughts to the conversation. I joined the site less than a year ago, and have had a blast becoming part of the community. However, I think that the greatest times I had visiting the 405th occured months before I even joined. Think like December to February, 2008. Man, that was awesome. So many of the "vets" (not just people with "veteran," but the names I remember) were still consistant posters and participants in all the meaningful and inspiring threads. Everyone was polite and was quick to share thier positive input or compliments. But mostly, there was, as it seemed to me, a much stronger feeling of "us" and less "me," and it was awesome. But it seems like that has changed now: not just the visual look of the site (and, believe me, I am very thankful to the site's team who have worked hard to do that), but it seems that, as many have said, a very large majority of the active members are rather rude, somewhat self-centered and very picky, when it's the noobs who should really be the least demanding. It's just not the same feeling anymore. I remember scrolling through someone's thread ( way before I had an account) and thinking, "Man, I really wish I was registered just so I could tell them how awesome thier work is going!"

hey saw ur thread i want armor likez urs where u find files? give me link asap

I may have less of those type of comments in my thread (it's hard to keep track, 'cause now it's like 60 pages long, lol), but I still make a lot of armor files, and so those things are inevitable, but they never stop annoying me. It would take less time to SEARCH FOR THE FILE than to log in, go to the end of my (or other's thread) and post a comment.

Mods need to be harsher, I remember back when posts used to be deleted daily whenever there was a bad post, which wasn't really that often, but harsher punishments need to be made.

Man, how I wish it was like that now. I really don't want the mods, whom I have always appreciated, to get mad, because I know that they are very busy, but ... well ... it really seems that thier participation in the forums (specifically, the Pep forum) has steeply declined. They rarely post or participate in conversations. When they actually read through a thread and find a post they don't find appropriate, they seem more ready to post a comment telling the person how they are wrong, sometimes sparking arguments (which nobody likes), instead of just making one or two clicks and deleting the post. Bam, you're done. Again, don't get me wrong, mods, I'm just trying to voice my opinion.

Oh, and also to the mods/forum leaders, you would really be surprised how easily a tiny little encouraging comment from you can brighten up someone's day. I know that for myself. But sadly, My thread, one of the longest on the forums, has seen very little positive forum activity. Most have just been scarce warnings and, basically, things that just make me feel bad. I go to the forums hoping to feel better there, but it seems like that is happening less and less lately.

There are those of us that view the 405th like an extended family ... We're all just looking for a place to call home. This is your home, like it or not all the time.

Exactly. And when people like you leave, it's like knowing that you'll never again see that uncle or cousin that, while you may have not talked to often, you know you'll still miss. I don't mean to sound all sentimental, but it's true.

Oh, also:

Dude, don't go, you're like my only friend on here

Man, I hope I still count as one, dude. I know you're a friend in my book.

EDIT: Oh, sorry for the long post. But please read.

And, I feel this is kind of important. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but please consider waiting to start your WIP thread until AFTER you have at least started resining. I know you probably have really great peps, but really, there's only so much you can say about a paper model. Again, don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but ODST threads with just pep pieces get annoying when no further progress is made for a long time. At least start the thread AFTER you have pepped a considerable amount of pieces. If not, then it's just four weeks of adding pics of pep stuff. I love seeing armor, but I especially love seeing progress!

Xtreme, abrupt discontinuation of intake of 405th forum is fraught by withdrawal syndrome :)

My advice - visit here 10 minutes a day, no more. It will be very helpful for your calmness :)

Really...

When I first saw this thread, I was extremely sad; however, I can now say I feel much better. Like many others said, please don't leave. If you are becoming depressed by the many noobs and their "problems" just take a break. Hopefully most of this will cool down after haloween. Although I don't really know you, you gave been one of those people who inspired me to join after lurking for 2 years. You are almost always posting and offering your insights and help to the many sometimes ungrateful n00bs. Your scaling thread was an excellent upgrade upon previous methods as new models are made. So, if you do decide to take a break I'd like to say thank you for all that you done here. Don't go!

Thanks for everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back