405th.com -- Costuming Wiki -- Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Primal Weyland said:
You're forgetting Belakor...
Actually he's not and I completely agree with him ;)
I personally think the HD models are a waste of time which is why I don't (and wont) use them, it's much quicker for me to scratch build these details. But if people want to put the extra time in and use HD models then thats cool too

LastSpartan said:
... If you feel like it, make a thread with all the stickies in it. Then ask for it to be Closed and Pinned. They are mod because they have more talents and more experience with prop building than you and me. And I agree, more mod should help.
That's exactly how I was thinking that it'd be done, even if it wasn't one big thread... I was thinking that someone could go through each sticky, pick out all the useful information and compile it in a text doc then forward that doc on.
I simply don't have the time to sit and go through all the posts, the general cleaning, replying to the loads of PM's and my own threads takes up most of my time here but if someone had documents for each sticky I could easily go in, replace the text in the first post and purge the whole thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the point....?

You get a few people WILLING to do the Mod's 'Lazy Work', then get it done through them. Hell, we still have the 'mods don't do crap' argument but at least crap gets done AT ALL.

*sighs as he realises what this means and grabs a pen*

I'll get to work then, shall I?

Not everyone has the means or ability to sculpt, NZ-TK. Not everyone fell out of their mother with a clay spatula in one paw and a lump of clay in the other, and managed to come up with a masterpiece, and even if they have such an ability, some might not have the funds to do so - myself included. Same goes for CAD modelling - some packages are extremely expensive and difficult to master

Interesting. Do you think anyone did? I've been teaching myself this stuff for almost 10 years and I'm still learning everyday, I wasn't born with any more or less ability than anyone else, it just takes time and perseverance to learn skills. I think people are fooling themselves if they think a highly detailed model is going to be a substitute for skill. If you don't know how to finish it, your work will always look like a cardboard box (that you didn't design, so its not even your work really)

not everyone has the time, patience, skill or funds to invest in it.

It almost sounds like you think people have some type of "right" to make quality props. That just isn't the case, any more than people have the "right" to be an Olympic swimmer.

Very few people make quality armour (I'm meaning per capita btw), and I'm not just talking about Halo, I'm talking about costume armour in general. starting your first prop building project with a suit of any armour is sheer lunacy. I can't stress how utterly ridiculous a concept it is. There is SO much to learn before attempting a suit of armour. Start small, practice, build your skills, read a lot. Starting out with such a complicated project is almost begging for failure. Small victories build confidence.

I offer my suggestions, and my help, but I'm not about to flame anyone on this site for a lack of work. Many people have contributed vigorous amounts of their hard-earned time to get this site where it is. I personally think the moderating team is doing an excellent job. We wouldn't be this far without them. We are free to suggest, but not to criticize people who have been working hard for us.

I guess it's about time I popped in here for the discussion.. I don't know how I missed this, but probably because the thread title didn't say 'critique of the overall site and moderating team". That and the fact that nobody reported the thread to me.

While I don't entirely agree with some of what's being said here, I don't disagree with all of it either. Theres some gray area here but since the discussion has been particularly productive I don't see any reason to jump in here and start lecturing about rules, and there definately are some rules being bent here. As I said before I don't think any of you need another lecture. Please just keep the discussion productive and keep some semblance of order and let's see where this goes.

As for the comments about the moderating team I see your points, but there is so much of the picture that goes on behind the scenes that I think you guys aren't considering. In general it seems that every time we shift gears to work on a project that everybody is demanding, that people immediately find something else that needs our attention more. The fact that most of us are wrapped up in preparing for DragonCon, and in the process of writing and ratifying the 405th Charter as well as our own multiple projects isn't helping either. I did warn everyone involved that this would happen, that if the duties of the moderators were spread too thin that the forums would suffer for it, but there really isn't any use in me saying 'I told you so' at this point. We are where we are, lets move forward.

The duties of the moderator position here have been evolving since day 1, apparently on a week by week basis more responsibilities are being added by member request. Mostly we've been here to keep the peace, and to attempt to lead the group. Occasionally we're asked to do housecleaning by members, but there really hasn't been a concerted effort to do so among the moderators, it isn't an assigned task. We respond to your requests..How you can think that makes this place a dictatorship is beyond me.. I don't know why people would feel they're being ignored because I think I for one have granted every request I get (providing it isn't negative to the site). For instance when Vrogy wanted to set up and sticky the wiki, I facilitated that in every way he requested, because I immediately recognized that it was a good idea. I have yet to recieve a request to compile all the stickies into a single tutorial, but if I were.. I'd probably point to the wiki. It's been an excellent tool for compiling our information, and I fear that once we start compiling tutorials and stickies that we'd be undoing much of Vrogy's efforts there.

But I do see your point.. the site needs better organization, and I do think that we should look into that. I've asked the rest of the Mod staff to review this thread because it does have a great deal of potential for improving the functionality of the forums. The problem that I see of course is that it's a huge task, and the Mods are already spread pretty thin as it is. We'll have to discuss it to determine how to assign the work. And for the question if members need to be approved to do this sort of thing, the answer is a resounding NO... we're ALWAYS receptive to people who want to help improve the site.. as a matter of fact it's exactly how most of us became moderators.. not because we made armor but because we demonstrated the initiative to improve this place in one way or another and had the necessary ability to work well with others to do so.

I could also point out here that there was an attempt to do this that mosts members seem to forget about: the Tutorial Links thread. Perhaps doing a single compilation of Links to tutorial threads in each forum and un-pinning the other links would solve this.. but it still doesn't address that you all seem to want a single unified tutorial.. That too was attemted in the past, but was abandoned because the speed in which new techniqes were being developed rapidly outpaced and outperformed the original attempt. I think that it can be done properly, but it's really Adams call if he wants non-members to be able to access all of our original content and progress in a single, very, very easily stolen and re-hosted format. Thats the other concern with doing this of course.. we're doing this for the benefit of all, but we really don't want other websites to be able to just come in here and copy and paste our efforts and capitalize on them.

I'm very glad this discussion is happening, theres definately something very unique about this compared to all the mod-bashing threads that have happened. Many times these sort of threads don't actually outline what it is that you think that we're doing wrong.. just that we're doing things wrong and that you don't like us in general. I would like to thank you guys for being positive and productive about this. Overall I think it's going to lead to some real improvements.. and it's entirely because you were able to reduce the flaming and discuss what your suggestions were rationally.. without too much arguing.

Appologies to Vrogy for the thread being hi-jacked. Say the word, and I'll seperate the two discussions going on here into
seperate threads.

-Sean

This is just an idea, but, what about making locked sticky with a link to the section of the wiki that concerns it? Instead of having 14 stickies in the pep section, like we do now, we could put all of the actual information that we use, from all the stickies, and put them into separate articles in the wiki. That way, all of the articles that "noobs" need to read are all easily available, and there wont be pages of comments to read through, because the thread will be locked, and you cant comment on the wiki.

That way the rest of the forum won't have to deal with all of the useless threads.

We can separate the people who just want armor from the people who want to make armor. ;)

That was the point.

One single, unified topic saying READ THE BLOODY WIKI YOU MORON' is all it should ever truly take to have someone go from being a complete nubcake to at least setting them up to start their first Pep suit.

Not long ago the Mods were Nazis... for being too controlling.

Now we are Lazy for not organizing threads...

Good ideas presented in tasteless ways are often over looked as not worthy merely for the manner in which they are presented.

And the Wiki is not a bad resource... it's just another version of whats already posted here, without the ability to compliment, ask questions, or agrue. No one killed the Wiki idea... repost what you want... just give credit when you do to the correct 405th user who created the tutorial you are reposting.

I think this is one of the more organized sites that I visit. I have nothing to complain about.. Only tight part is the space for attachments. But I can live with it just fine. :D

I just wanted to check in and note that I wasn't brought on as a moderator due to my armor skills. When I was first brought on, it was for my efforts to improve the place. Real life pulled me away for awhile and I lost my mod status. Then when I returned, I was given mod status again primarily to work on the charter, but also to help out.

Several mods have previously initiated discussions regarding clearing away some of stuff on here, and reducing the sticky load, but more often than not, we were either too busy chasing/discussing someone becoming problematic to truly address the issue, or were tackling the charter issues (which WAS a huge issue, but has now become more structured which is helping us deal with the more difficult areas we're facing now).

Anyway, I think Sean adequately discussed that situation. However, probably the largest issue we've faced regarding taking a stand to clean-up the stickies and suchlike is that we feel we have to answer to you before we can just go ahead and start deleting posts. There have been many contributions from ALL OF US (mods and members) that contain things that are no longer useful, or smaller posts that never WERE really useful, stating things like "Yeah, good one! thanks!".

Or perhaps two tutorials discussing the same thing. One orderly and concise.. the other, spread out over a period of time, with many contributors posting their thoughts.

I had this happen very recently. I was contacted by a member who suggested that their post should be made into a sticky. Upon reading the post, I agreed. Unfortunately, it wasn't the first thread on the topic. What bothers me, is that, logically, the clear /concise single post was more useful, but it ignored the community contributions over time on the very same subject. To make it more difficult to make the decision, it was already being contested by Weyland, stating that he'd already made such a post.

I went to Weyland and asked him to clean up/update his first opening post in the larger thread because it had been there first. I told him I'd sticky it for him if he could do that for me. Honestly, I doubted my decision, based on discussions I'd had with Weyland in the not-too-distant past and recent history of direspect to mods and members alike, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, hoping that his claimed desire to improve the forums would direct his actions.

I had three other options... One was to go through and edit the crap out of his thread, and be called a nazi moderator (which, by the way is exactly what some of you are here asking us to do). Another, was to simply Pin the shorter/clearer thread, ignoring everyone else's contributions and attempts to make more information availible. The last, was to simply Rewrite the whole thing and pin it.. thereby not showing favoritism, but essentially stealing everyone elses ideas and presenting them as my own.

To me, I made the best call I could, despite the disappointment of the member who had initially contacted me, and the possibility that Weyland might not carry through on his promise to consolidate the thread into a single post.

Who's right, who's wrong? Depends on your position, but the point is, that's a decsion regarding two simple threads, not an entire sub-forum full of "But listen to me! My ideas are the best ones!", and "You guys are Nazis, you don't like my ideas so you censor them!".

It makes "clean-up" a daunting task when there are so many people who swear that THEIR way is the only way.

So what do we do about it? Erase everything and start over? Let's talk about other options first.

So as most (or many) of you know, I've been doing a lot of Wiki work lately. Specifically, with regards to the Reference pictures. Vrogy turned me on to the Wiki thing, to check it out.

When I took the plunge, and decided to work on the Wiki, I discovered quite a bit about it. The Wiki is neat and allows you to do quite a bit in terms or organization and structure. It's all user created/maintained/edited information. It exists solely on the contributions of it's members.

I suddenly realized that that's exactly what the forums were. The only difference is that clean-up is maintained by everyone who wants to participate, rather than just by the post creators and mods. The constant flow of ideas helps shape and maintain it.

The other significant difference is that rather than popping in little posts that get lost in the mix, everyone moves towards creating articles, and adding links to them wherever it seems appropriate.

In fact, for all of you clamoring for action, the power lies in your own hands to fix things.. either on the board, or through the Wiki. If you made a new thread that covers the existing ungainly pinned topics, then we can break the old ones off and pin yours, as long as the attempt is made to give credit where it's due.

Or..
Make a new version and put it straight on the Wiki.. Let us know it's there, and we'll change the stickies to links that lead to the article(s). THe only real catch is that you need to share credit and allow others to add their two cents when they want to. I'm sure this will lead to arguments every now and then, but that happens HERE too.

Or both?

Personally? I'd love to see WIPs /Tutorials /Builds end-up on the Wiki. Use the Forums as a discussion area, but use the Wiki articles to post the facts in an organized way so that they don't become cluttered, and can stay connected to the other articles that are important to the subject. For example, a WIP connected to the Pep files used, material lists and sources for purchase, Techinques utilized, Safety measures used, etc.

For example, I'm aware of two sniper WIPs on the forums, only because the second one had a post by the author of the first one in it. I haven't FOUND that other WIP, but I guess it exists SOMEWHERE in the Pepakura forum, unless it's been deleted or made before the forum was set-up, or moved somewhere else because it was used to create a mold, or the first half of the WIP thread was a secret project, or named something like "Ryan's new project". I COULD use the search function and find every post on here that uses the word Sniper, but I'm guessing that would contain a LOT of results. There might also be an incomplete wip on another sniper pep.. Was that the second one I was looking for, or does that mean there's a third sniper pep wip thread floating around on the forums.

On a wiki, I'd know because there'd be a link to WIPs from the pep files, or perhaps a link to one of them from a current discussion in the current forum.. A link to all sniper pep WIPS would be availible on a page somewhere, probably on the directory page that's linked to the WIP I found. Done.. there's a certain amount of efficiency and effectiveness there, ya' know?

Get on the Wiki.. check out the small offering that's there now.. Sign-in, create a user page, Go to the "Sandbox" link.. Use it to figure out how to add stuff to your user page. Add stuff to your user page. When you've done that.. Perhaps we could consider a gameplan for moving stuff over there, or just do it and sort out the details later.

It's up to you though. A moderator on a forum plays housekeeper to assist you in keeping topics on track, stop the kids from attacking other kids, and to maintain a sense of fairplay for those that feel wronged by various situations. Beyond that, there's general housekeeping, ensuring that folks follow the rules in-order to keep the place nice for everyone. (Which is the only purpose of the rules anyways).

When you limit a moderator by getting upset over deleted/mopderated posts, you not only call the moderator's judgement into question, you hamper their ability to do their job. The only recourse is to block you from venting your frustrations, and move forward. Two things happen as a result. #1- we can't do our cleaning jobs without inciting specific folks to riot. #2- we can't NOT do our job without inciting specific folks to riot. What's really interesting/frustrating is when those are the same people!

As a result, we often have to walk a fine line that we can't even always see. As a result? Abrasion all around and no one feels like they're getting what they want. Or, we ignore some folks, and help others. Obviously, the way that makes the most sense is to focus help on those folks that help back, rather than the ones that want to fight the moderation system. However, there's no answer that makes EVERYONE happy, so we figure we'll take the options that make the friendly folks happy, because that's what any community does.. hell, that's what a community IS.

So taking Vrogy's advice in "Calling it as I see it" what is the point of this thread or any other that snowball because it is more about harping on others then helping. If you wish to worry about the actions of other that usually means your just try to cover up your own work and anti-efforts. The armor you make is YOUR armor is YOUR project, so what does it have to do with coming down on the mods or anyone else. If you need help ask, that's why where here and the mods too! If you want to be better then others go set on your roof and look down at the world why the rest try, help, and make awesome armor.

*facepalms and sighs*

The point here isn't people harping on at others for a lack of work, or trying to be better than anyone else. It's about trying to ensure people CAN help themselves, and more EFFICIENTLY.

Only the staff have the power to clean the stickies up and make them more accessible. And they haven't doe so, so we still have people coming up going HOW DOES I SHOT RESIN? or words to such an effect. If things were clean, we wouldn't have this problem.

So kindly, please quit with trying to make anyone here out as higher than anyone else. We're all equal here - some just have more power.

Primal Weyland said:
So kindly, please quit with trying to make anyone here out as higher than anyone else. We're all equal here - some just have more power.

Respectfully I don't see that happening though. We solely respond to member requests, making the changes that you guys ask for. This is a difficult request and there are issues regarding making fair decisions about what information stays and what goes, and how it should be represented. Elitists would just snap their fingers and make the decision without your wanting your input.

We're going to act on this, quickly, but we'll need to first agree on a democratic way to do the clean-up so that no one feels slighted. Thanks for helping us figure out how to better serve you.

somehow, i missed the whole storm, but im glad in a way.

These moderators are above everyone else because they can be trusted to help the betterment of the forum, not because they have armor, not because their career helps, but because they are progressive, and can get things organized.

yeah, the wiki has no real moderators, except the owners, but its an open environment. The only thing it dosent have is people that can give advice in the form of posts.

wow......i fear an epic battle is going to go down....and im not gonna be dragged into it, but rather, stand on the sidelines.
we need to get things organized. Im sure the 501st had these same arguments when it got started, and they are all right at the moment.

lets argue about this somewhere else, not in the pepakura forum, because this brings off a negative energy.

Primal Weyland said:
The point here isn't people harping on at others for a lack of work, or trying to be better than anyone else. It's about trying to ensure people CAN help themselves, and more EFFICIENTLY.

Only the staff have the power to clean the stickies up and make them more accessible. And they haven't doe so, so we still have people coming up going HOW DOES I SHOT RESIN? or words to such an effect. If things were clean, we wouldn't have this problem.

Going off topic is one of the biggest housecleaning issues we have here. If it's one post, I'll delete it.. if another answers/quotes/or starts going, it becomes difficult to do that. Especially when we meanwhile have to contend with those that would call us overlords, etc..

Cleaning up stickies require us to delete your posts... plain and simple. This has been looked upon unfavorably by you in the past, nearly earning yourself a ban for the way you acted in responce. It's been this way on more than one occassion.

Keep it civil and let's discuss options, please. If we are "not allowed" to censor you, and/or get rid of your off-topic detracting comments, how can we do our jobs?

rvb4life said:
yeah, the wiki has no real moderators, except the owners, but its an open environment.
Actually, Deadguy and I are sysops on the wiki. I had it by default, because I started it, but he's done a LOT of work recently, and I know he's trusted, so I gave him admin access- he can protect pages, block IPs, etc if we ever get any rogue edits.
rvb4life said:
The only thing it dosent have is people that can give advice in the form of posts.
Every wiki page has a Talk page, where people can discuss the content going into that page. We've made extensive use of it recently to coordinate the content of the reference packs: http://halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:References . There are even pages dedicated to overall community talk, we just haven't used them yet.

Ok... let me get this straight..

The forum is too cluttered to find good info... so take the info to the wiki.
But come to the Wiki to discuss whats been moved from the 405th.... but the discussion are hidden... so now it will be harder to find people actually discussing whats posted.

How long will it be before the Wiki is cluttered? And what will you do to prevent it?

If there were a way to keep the information organized as it is in the Wiki... but keep it apart of the 405th.. would you be open to this?

Spase said:
Ok... let me get this straight..

The forum is too cluttered to find good info... so take the info to the wiki.
But come to the Wiki to discuss whats been moved from the 405th.... but the discussion are hidden... so now it will be harder to find people actually discussing whats posted.

How long will it be before the Wiki is cluttered? And what will you do to prevent it?

If there were a way to keep the information organized as it is in the Wiki... but keep it apart of the 405th.. would you be open to this?

Are you joking? Wikis are designed from the ground-up to take LOADS of information and organize them into easily-browseable forms. Forums are designed for threaded discussion- stickies are a hack.

Vrogy said:
Are you joking? Wikis are designed from the ground-up to take LOADS of information and organize them into easily-browseable forms. Forums are designed for threaded discussion- stickies are a hack.

If there were a way to keep the information organized as it is in the Wiki...
but keep it part of the 405th..

Would you be open to this possibility?

I mean this literally... keep it as it is presented in the wiki... but still connected to this site..

would you be open to this possiblity?

Literally... if it were possible to have the Wiki, still part of the 405th, instead of branching it off, so as to not split the community... would you be open to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back