405th.com -- Costuming Wiki -- Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah that's a big discussion.

But I agree with both of you. and I disagree with somes of your opinions.

If we remove the stickies from the forum, and keep them only in the Wiki, people will google and find the wiki. They probably won't suscribe here. And maybe they will found another organization.

But I agree with the fact of hiring temporary moderator to help cleaning.

Spase said:
If there were a way to keep the information organized as it is in the Wiki...
but keep it part of the 405th..

Would you be open to this possibility?

I mean this literally... keep it as it is presented in the wiki... but still connected to this site..

would you be open to this possiblity?

Literally... if it were possible to have the Wiki, still part of the 405th, instead of branching it off, so as to not split the community... would you be open to this?

IMHO this is the best solution. Wikis are really not good for long discussions. They are good for closely related articles. If a tutorial, once flushed out, could be moved to the wiki that would be great. When folks have questions/comments/concerns.. they use the forums. Then... the forums could be aged off. This also solves the issue of necro-posting.

-- bk

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody's talking about removing the stickies at all. What needs to happen is that perhaps ONE sticky remains, that contains links to the Wiki and the particular part of it that deals with a subject. For instance, it would go like this:

TOPIC: THE 405TH WIKI

EASY TUTORIALS

*link* - PEPAKURA FOR BEGINNERS
*link* - HOW TO USE PEPAKURA DESIGNER TO SCALE YOUR FILE
*link* - HOW TO PRINT YOUR FILE EFFECTIVELY
*link* - HOW TO ASSEMBLE YOUR FILE

NORMAL TUTORIALS

*link* - THE HOT-GLUE METHOD
*link* - WHAT RESIN TYPES TO USE
*link* - HOW TO RESIN YOUR FILE
*link* HOW TO FIBREGLASS YOUR FILE

HEROIC TUTORIALS

*link* - HOW TO BONDO YOUR PIECE
*link* - DETAILING YOUR PIECE
*link* - PAINTING YOUR PIECE

LEGENDARY TUTORIALS

*link* - ARMORTECH FOR YOUR MJOLNIR ARMOR
*link* - UNDERARMOR

And so on and so forth. There doesn't need to be a removal of the stickies - merely, the content needs to be posted on the Wiki and referenced properly.

All I wish to say on the matter is the community that you get 90% or more of your data didn't ask to be copied to the wiki. I personally wish nothing I do on the wiki ever, however if there is a wiki based here inside the forum that the wiki got it's information I would love to offer my help, my info, and any data that might be useful. I know it has been said that wiki is part of the group by some and by other that it is a wiki for all halo costuming, but if it's info is mostly from the 405th then without everyone agreeing how is it right to copy info over and just site that you got it from the 405th?

The opportunity for you to participate is here... The information you took from here, and reorganized there, as hard as you thought it would be to move and integrate back here, took less than one night to do. In fact the idea to keep the information under the 405th.com address is what was shot down. Not the idea of the Wiki. So we are working with your ideas... you are not working with ours.

So if the only argument you have left is that it would be toooo hard to move, then thats mute, because thats been proved to be easily done. Picture links need a bit of adjustment, a few files need to be re-hosted.... other wise... done.

Any more reason why you are against moving the information back to the 405th?

*grits teeth*

I'm rapidly losing my patience in this debate, having to go over the same points over and over again, so I'll point it out quite clearly for those who were either not listening or just too dense to get it the first time.

You're incredibly good at putting words into people's mouths, Spase, and this has to stop. Let me explain this one last time, for you in particular, at the risk of being rude and/or irritable.

The information isn't getting 'moved' as such away from ANYTHING. The people working on the Wiki aren't taking ANYTHING from the forum - in fact, if anything, we're the ones contributing to the place by cleaning up the clutter and making things more organised and efficient. We're taking information people want and need, we're organising and concentrating it, and we're putting ALL of that knowledge into one, easy-to-access place. We're crediting the people with the original content, and where applicable, we're linking back to the 405th. This is about as integrated as things can get without having the URL changed.

So in the end, all you have to stand on is the fact that the web URL isn't 450th.com/wiki, which I find extremely confusing. Things are fine as they are, there's no NEED for change. The Wiki is as part of the community as this post is, only it has a different URL. And if that's all you're concerned about, I'm going to find an oversized palm to put my face in, if you don't mind.

I think perhaps the current status regarding the wiki is due to a misunderstanding of what that wiki actually was. It was the belief of most people concerned that it was to be part of the forums, not a separate entity governed/controlled by anyone other than the 405th itself.

In speaking of "the halo costuming community" I think there are some that would say that's a description of the 405th, and some that would suggest it's not. Some would say that the 405th is a separate PART of the Halo costuming community.

This is where the miscommunication lies.. In the definitions:

The 405th club is separate from the 405th forums.

The 405th forums is a repository of information on Halo Costuming, accessbile to those that join, AND to a lesser degree, those that don't. Participation is restricted to those that know how to behave and be respectful of other members. Much of the information on it was put there under the impression that that they were giving to a community that they belonged to.

The concept of the Halo costuming forums is that it encompasses all Halo costuming. This isn't to say that other Halo costuming communities might exist on their own, but this is the one that has all of the information that it's members/mods/creator put into it. Derivative works made from any of the contents/ tutorials /etc, are considered to be 405th works, but not actually owned by the forums, merely owned by the members that made them.

Again, the Club itself is a separate entity. I state that again, because if folks show up at a convention or something, wearing something they created from here, they'd be thought of as 405th forum members. The 405th club is a group that recognizes that they have costumes fitting canon (or as close to canon as is realistically possible), and wish to be with other people that have the same thing and are willing to travel with (or meet up with) each other at events, and/or work together on club projects. In theory, a member of the 405th Club doesn't have to be a member of the 405th forums, though it wouldn't make sense to avoid forum membership... Other folks from other Halo costuming groups are welcome to join the 405th club if they want to, and are willing to go by the club rules.

A wiki was formed to lay-out the 405th information in a more logical/concise way. In joining the Wiki, the concept was that you were a 405th member enjoying a portion of the 405th's repository of information. It was never intended that 405th information actually LEAVE the 405th, nor be shared to non-405th members as part of an entrnal resource. The folks that created these works, are trusting the 405th forums to be a haven for sharing this information with others in that community. It's therefore implied that they trust the moderators to remove members that would either capitalize on /sell their works, and/or abuse other members, etc. Plus, continue to make the information availible to them in the foreseeable future.

The formation of an internal 405th wiki would follow the direction of the growth of the 405th information/resource base that was given to the 405th forums by members of the 405th forums.. FOR the members of the 405th.

An external Wiki is something formed from the 405th information/resource base that is availible to anyone, regardless of their intents, or regardless of how they treat anyone they come into contact with, or regardless of what they want to do with the information they gather. If they wanted to, they could publish a book using the information provided for them. They wouldn't even necessarily have an interest in Halo, or the community at large.

Should there become a problem with someone using information gleaned from an external wiki, there's simply nothing that can be done about it. If someone mass produced the cardboard pepakura files and sold them, there would be no way to do anything about it because there's a general license release involved.

By keeping the information property of the 405th forums, it means that there's legal recourse if recourse is required, there's bans to stop offenders that are discovered on say.. ebay.. doing things they shouldn't be.

Most importantly though is the basic concept and premise. The information created for the 405th forums is maintained as a part of the 405th forums, for the 405th forum members, by Adam and his staff. As owner of these boards, the transmission of this information is simply up to him. He's trusted by all of those that post information here, or quite simply.. the information wouldn't BE here.

It's a matter of perspective; These aren't pictures of trees that are catalogued for the anyone going out to look at trees, they are more like personal creations that are catalogued for other like-minded folks that join the group of the 405th group to share in as part of the 405th halo community forums.

My own contributions to the Wiki are reference pics that may or may not be availible for anyone who wants to look at them. That's quite different from a Tutorial creation made for the 405th forums.

My own vote is that we do an internal wiki. I also suggest that rather than discard the time/effort that Vrogy has put into the current Wiki, we recognize his efforts by allowing him to have a moderating position on that internal Wiki. I think that not only does he have the most knowledge about how to set-up and use the wiki, but that he's simply got a good head for this kind of thing in general, and would be an asset to a newly formed Internal wiki.

It should be noted that with 14 articles, moving the wiki may not be that big of a deal, except in terms of re-routing links.

If the existing wiki continues separately from the 405th, I think that it's up to the 405th forums to determine what 405th information remains on it. Quite frankly, the information wasn't made for that wiki, nor given to the wiki as a way to build-up the wiki's ability to support itself independently of these forums.

I feel that an internal wiki is the way to go, and will help to facilitate this goal in any way neccessary.

So thats settled then... there is no problem, it works as well as a part of the 405th as it does under the umbrella of all of wikipedia. With the only difference being that it's not under the 405.com domain.

So...

Information comes from the 405th.com....
All the links point back to the 405th.com....
The users that contribute are from the 405th.com...

Comments about face palming...

I am just giving you the ability to bridge the gap, to come back into the fold of the community. I just fail to see the significance of if it can be moved, why you wouldn't help. So please, try to explain to me why you wouldn't help if it were moved back.

Oh, ffs Spase. Yet again, you're putting words in my mouth. Stop it.

I never said I wouldn't help, if it came to having to relocate the Wiki. I just find the idea ill-advised and pointless.

And as far as I see, I'm still IN the community. You guys haven't booted me out on my furry little backside JUST yet. Same goes for the wiki.

Vrogy said:
We've already moved the wiki once, I don't see any reason to move it again, especially given all the work that's been done since that move.

I like the current state of affairs- the 405th gets credit for all content transplanted to the wiki, but it's just a source. Halo costuming is bigger than just the 405th.

BTW, can somebody fork this thread already? The only one pretending to be on-topic anymore is tlither.

Vrogy said:
The 405th is a forum populated by some people building halo costumes. Halo costuming in its entirety is not the 405th- which is the subject of the wiki.
Example: I'm working on two costumes right now which probably won't be documented here. They'll be halo costumes, but they won't be 405th halo costumes, not immediately, anyways. You might be able to find the files for them on the wiki, or anywhere else that wants to rehost them, though.
The only division so far has been what hasn't been transferred to the wiki yet, and what specifically has either denied permission to re-host files (a few people back when I first started the pep index), and projects which aren't allowing their stuff to be posted anywhere else from the get-go(SKG's 'Landfall' ODST).

Vrogy said:
I have never sought to create a barrier between the 405th and the wiki. The barrier, if there is one, is much more akin to a gradient- in favor of the 405th. 405th tutorials and content are quoted as such on the wiki, and much of the communication for wiki matters happens here- the updates thread, the sticky about it, PMs between editors, etc. For you to state that I have created a division between the two is ludicrous.

That aside, what do you suggest we do to "integrate" the wiki and the forum? Host it here, move everything? No thanks, for many reasons.

The wiki is for everybody. That's one of the fundamental idea behind wikis- everyone gets a say, and it's going to stay that way.
405th information will get credit for their content, and, accordingly, more members and traffic. Most people want to make a progress thread once they start building- they can come over here, become a member, and make one. That's pretty fair.

How is Spase putting words in someone's mouth. The quotes above speak volumes of the wiki's independence and the unwillingness to move back under the 405th.

I apologize if I seem to have put words in your mouth. I took the attitude and negativity as meaning that you didn't want to help if it was moved back. Moving things isn't that hard... we can get that setup... and the community would have the same edit rights to this wiki as the would the separated by web address wiki. So you would help, thats great. Deadguy would help. Vrogy is reading it... wonder if he would help.

I hope this isn't about self importance, or being a moderator of the wiki? The wiki moderators are the whole community. I don't think it is, I hope it isn't.

I think it's good to open a dialogue about this, though I am more in favor of the info being placed here, more of a loyalty,, info in one spot. The wiki is neat in theory, but kinda debunks the "centralized" info, as you have to leave 405th to get to it.

My two cents is perhaps to strip down the excess comments (similar to what Primal suggested) on the original Tutorial threads, perhaps something like this with sub-threads:

Pepakura Tuts:
Materials Needed
Scoring/Folding
Gluing

Reinforcing/Smoothing Tuts:
Resin 101
Fiberglassing 101
Non-toxic Alternatives 101

Halo1 Armor:
Mjolnir

Halo2 Armor:
Mjolnir(Low-Res)
Mjolnir(Hi-Res)
ODST
Elite

Halo3 Armor:
Mjolnir(Low-Res)
Mjolnir(Hi-Res)
ODST

I also think that no matter how "easy" you make it, some user may still whine for spoon fed info. it happens, none of us have mind control powers. It will be a bit of work, hell imagine how much work Adam and the mods have already put in and are putting in. If we're to be THE Halo armor site, then we need all the info here, and a pseudo Coup De Tat' needs to be put to sleep.

Spase said:
The opportunity for you to participate is here... The information you took from here, and reorganized there, as hard as you thought it would be to move and integrate back here, took less than one night to do. In fact the idea to keep the information under the 405th.com address is what was shot down. Not the idea of the Wiki. So we are working with your ideas... you are not working with ours.

So if the only argument you have left is that it would be toooo hard to move, then thats mute, because thats been proved to be easily done. Picture links need a bit of adjustment, a few files need to be re-hosted.... other wise... done.

Any more reason why you are against moving the information back to the 405th?

The problem with the wiki being hosted here is the lack of faith and trust I have with the current staff here. There are a number of outstanding ethical issues that pretty much make me think they're untrustworthy. I've brought them up in the past, and I didn't find their equivocation enough of an explanation.

While the wiki is hosted at Wikia, if I suddenly decide to deface and lock the whole wiki, someone can complain to Wikia administrators. They serve the greater interests of Wikia, Inc- which happens to align with good wikis. They'll revert any defacement, ban me, and appoint a new bureaucrat. It's very safe hosted at Wikia- nobody's hard work is going anywhere anytime soon.

If it was hosted here, it would be subject to whoever administered the site. They'd be free to play games with the database; you can do terrible things with a search and replace function and write access. Not to harp on it, but maybe when there's a Charter in place which will guarantee some semblance of a democracy where injustices are swiftly righted, and the domain and FTP access is a bit more secure than one or two self-appointed administrators(no sarcasm intended),this will be a good place to have it, but right now as a contributor and bureaucrat, I don't want to write or organize for the 405th.

What confounds me is that you still want it hosted here, and are, from what I can tell, already moving forward with plans of your own.

We all know the wiki is valuable. No one is arguing that. But, why shouldn't it be part of this site? You could still be admin of it.

If you don't trust us, why even bother being on "our" site?

Well.. everything we have done has been for the community. We create props, and share what we've done. We answer questions and give advice based on experience we have. The lack of faith in the staff that you have is centralized around yourself, as you have been the center of many arguements, debates, name calling, insinuations, and you generally undermine the work we have done to help everyone and to keep this forum running without incident.

I am glad that you have finally made it clear to me that you want the wiki off site, because you don't trust the 405th staff and moderators. Well to be put bluntly, we don't trust you, but we have allowed you to remain, despite our better judgement, even with the negative attitude and problems in the past its hard to say that you would work toward helping everyone here. And now you want to take this communities information, and move it to where people trusted by many can't keep watch over it?

We are attempting to include you, and you just don't want to be involved? We have always said that if people want to leave thats they're choice... just please try not to burn the house down on your way out ok.

i dont know why you base vrogy. Sure he in the center of things theres nothing wrong with that. If the status quo never get challenged then nothing gets done

And you do seam to be in a loop hole if you ban vrogy he might inturn destroy the wiki since he is the creator

I think vrogy should allow the website to host it and have vrogy be on "staff" to edit the wiki

The existing wiki is a property of the Halo costuming community, not the 405th. When we ban members, they are no longer a participant in the 405th, and therefore shouldn't have access to the 405th information/knowledge base any longer.

With all the information on the Wiki.. we wouldn't have that control which our information contributors expect us to have when they shared their knowledge with us.

Should anyone wish to share your information outside of the 405th, feel free, there are other places for you to share your information. Should you wish to share in ours, you'll need to join us first.

This is how communities operate, and how 'banning" a problematic member actually causes them to lose something that they can't wander off to the Wiki to replace. Otherwise, who cares about bans and stuff? If someone wanted to ban me, I wouldn't want to be here in the first place.

Spartan 051 said:
i dont know why you base vrogy. Sure he in the center of things theres nothing wrong with that. And you do seam to be in a loop hole if you ban vrogy he might inturn destroy it since he is the creator

I think vrogy should allow the website to host it and have vrogy be on "staff" to edit the wiki

I just detailed how hosting on Wikia is better because things can't be screwed up.. o_O

You all need to calm down(especially you, Weyland...) I know you want an excuse to boot me, but, sorry, I'm only here to foster the community, spread knowledge, and build armor. I merely think in terms broader than whatever the 405th is or thinks it is right now.
If you're going to move the wiki here, you're going to move the wiki here. Have at it, just make sure you preserve credit to everyone who's contributed to edits on it- I'm not the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back