A general warning to those attending Comic Con on the 22nd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cortana I'm terribly sorry if my first statement offended you. I couldn't tell if you were quoting me to state how not to converse, or how to converse.

@Shade These people must really cut you deep dude. Two major parts of your life these people are terrorizing. Sheesh. :p

@Hugh Holder Yeah you're very right dude. All religions started off as a "cult" persay. By definition, a cult is any kind of religious following. Where the line divides the two (Religion and Cultism) is where personal belief comes in.

Clearly we have a diverse population of people here on the 405th. It seems obvious that religion is a sensitive subject, in that it has a tendency to spark unwanted debate. This topic I think has done a good job of keeping things focused and on topic. I hope we can keep it open a while longer. :D

Well thats weird doset the bible say were all made in Gods image? well that means God is probally Gay and a Nerd ad a lot of other things. Btw im a devout Catholic dont be offended.

Thes are my belifs you do not have to belive as i belive. I also respect any one elses religious belifs.

I don't think that the WBC shouldn be classified as a church or a cult.
I see them more as a domestic terrorism group hiding behind the cover of religion. Looking back at all the major religions, even though they may have been considered cults at the time they began, each religion had similar beliefs and basic principles.
If I remember right from World History in High School, Islam is also a descendant on Christianity. Islamics believe that Muhammad is a prophet that came after Jesus, and the Qur'an was written by Muhammad for believers of Islam to follow.
Christianity is the same way. The creation of different denominations was caused by a difference of belief on how Christians should worship and interpretation of the Bible. I don't remember the exact pattern of splintering of Christianity, but i do remember that Roman Catholic came first, Protestants split off from them (I think), then (I'm fairly certain) Lutherans and Baptist separated from Protestants and went different directions. Pentecostal pops up somewhere after that but I'm not sure where.

When compared to the other major religions (I realize that I said nothing about Judism, Budhism, and many others)I believe that WBC appears less like the beginnings of a new religion, and more like and organized scam and terrorism group that specializes is twisting our basic freedoms into weapons of harassment and terror, all while defending themselves with the very things they condemn.

With that all being said, I would totally make a sign and counter protest them ALL day long if I could make it to ComiCon this year. I almost hope that they are dumb enough to return on a year I will be able to attend. Because I would do the same thing to them as they do to everyone else.

Actually, I'll give someone 5 dollars if they hold up a sign that says "God hates WBC" right next to them when they are protesting. That would sure do wonders.

Done. If I could go to comic-con that is. (mom.....)

Looking back at all the major religions, even though they may have been considered cults at the time they began, each religion had similar beliefs and basic principles.
If I remember right from World History in High School, Islam is also a descendant on Christianity. Islamics believe that Muhammad is a prophet that came after Jesus, and the Qur'an was written by Muhammad for believers of Islam to follow.
Christianity is the same way. The creation of different denominations was caused by a difference of belief on how Christians should worship and interpretation of the Bible. I don't remember the exact pattern of splintering of Christianity, but i do remember that Roman Catholic came first, Protestants split off from them (I think), then (I'm fairly certain) Lutherans and Baptist separated from Protestants and went different directions. Pentecostal pops up somewhere after that but I'm not sure where.

History fail. There was a monotheistic religion started by the persians before the jews. Then the Jews (could have and most likely did) took the idea and started western religion maybe 5000 +/- years ago, and christianity was a jewish sect (that the mainstream jews said "wow jesus, you isn't teh messiah bra!") that became indipendent apprently 2010 years ago.

Then in circa 600 AD the prophet mohammad showed up and did stuff that escapes my memory until 636 when Isalm was officially founded in Mecca. But Islam was a break off from Judism because of Abrahams love child named Ismael. Something like that.

The christians went from a small band of deciphles to a large minority in the roman empire. Then came Imperator Constantanople who recognized Christianity as a legitimate religion (the Edict of toleration in 313) and converted to it on his death bed. Then the council of nicaea happened that changed christianity and basically turned it into Roman Catholosisim. Then some people got pissed during the council of nicaea and broke off from it, thus creating the Orthodox Christians. Then the middle ages showed up and the church became a political player and converted the "sinful pagan masses" of western and central europe. Then the high middle ages came and the crusades happened and such. The chuch was corrupt and the popes had orgies and parties and stuff. Then the late middle ages happened and the popes were still having parties and selling bishop positions and indulgences.

This brings us to the Renissance!!! YAY!!!! In 1517 Martin Luther posted his 95 theses on a chruch door, mainly complaining about the indulgences being sold. Nobody really cared until about 4 years later when people started to print his theses on pamphlets and books and stuff. S**tstorm ensued. There was a pesant revolt in germany and the chruch broke apart after a Papal Bull was burnt. Thus Protestantism emerged. Then a bunch of stuff broke from that and it gets really, really complicated and I don't feel like explainging it so here is a pretty graph I found on Wikipedia that makes some sort of sence:
500px-ChristianityBranches.svg.png

Buddism was a tottally seperate thing started in India that was the first major Eastern religion.

Wow. I certanily do love history. Yes, most of this was from memory.

This turning into a pretty good thread I think. There is not fighting, everyone is respectful and open. This really shows how great the 405th is. I don't know any other forum that would be this great.

Also, is anyone actually on WBC side? lol

This turning into a pretty good thread I think. There is not fighting, everyone is respectful and open. This really shows how great the 405th is. I don't know any other forum that would be this great.

Also, is anyone actually on WBC side? lol

lol I dunno, but I was kind of worried about that possibility. Though I am pretty sure if there WAS anyone on their side they'd already be banned by now.

As resolutely atheist (in fact, I slightly despise religion, though I don't hate on people for their religious beliefs) as I am, even I admit that real Christianity is indeed about love and compassion, and that WBC is about the polar opposite of Christianity as far as those two terms go.

Sadly, I live in Missouri (though thankfully on the other side away from Kansas) and we almost had them picket at my school for some reason or another, except it started thunderstorming like none other. It was quite possibly the funniest sh*t I had ever seen, it was like even whatever Creator you may believe in was against them. Everyone had a field day with that one, some people had "God hates WBC" signs and whatnot. It was great.

As for my suggestion as to what to do, just ignore them. Better yet, stand right next to them, photobomb, or whatever. But, as stated earlier, don't do anything that they could use as an excuse to sue you, since I'm pretty sure the entire goal of their movement is to make money for themselves by suing people who take offense to their freedom of speech.

I know I'm new to this website but I figured I'd chime in a bit. I'll try to keep it civil, which I don't see a problem. First, My opinion. Like many have already stated, this group is not doing thier job as a Christian Church. We, as Christians ( I am one), are not supposed to hate people. Hate the Sin, not the sinner.

There are plenty of groups that actually stand up to these guys, especially at Military funerals. Usually they are Bikers and just sit in front of WBC with Flags and rev thier engines to drown out the noise of the Hatred. I've also heard of them getting school buses involved. Something I would be the first to Volunteer for (as I am a School bus driver). What they do is wrong. Plain and simple. How many real warthogs do you guys know of? Park those bad boys in front of them. :D

IF they listened to other Believers they would have stopped by now. They should, according to the bible, listen to others in faith. In fact, Christians are supposed to Judge other Christians That they have regular Fellowship with. This is an act of Love though, to make sure that person does not fall into a temptation. Not out of hate.

On the side of the WBC: We have a group around here (at MSU) that are called "the wells hall Preachers". They basically do the same thing. When one of our Campus ministers sat down with the leader of the group he explained thier position like this. They do what they do to start conversations in hopes that the Christians in the dorms can answer or debunk thier efforts and bring that person closer to God. It's a bit odd and doesn't fit biblically, but it works sometimes. I don't agree with it.

Proverbs 12:15 Fits quite well.

Done. If I could go to comic-con that is. (mom.....)

History fail. There was a monotheistic religion started by the persians before the jews. Then the Jews (could have and most likely did) took the idea and started western religion maybe 5000 +/- years ago, and christianity was a jewish sect (that the mainstream jews said "wow jesus, you isn't teh messiah bra!") that became indipendent apprently 2010 years ago.

Buddism was a tottally seperate thing started in India that was the first major Eastern religion.

Wow. I certanily do love history. Yes, most of this was from memory.

Hehe, thanks for clearing all that up for me. :DLike I said I was going from memory on a class I had around 4 years ago. My main point was that most major religions are branches of a common point, and can't really bee put on the same "cult" level as WBC

I did know that Buddism was the first major Eastern religion, thats why I admitted that I hadn't mentioned it. :cool

Like I said though, thanks for clearing all that up

These "hater" guys have got some serious issues. Im a christian and im embarrased to be assosiated with them. no where in the bible does it say "God hates nerds". i pretty sure the assumptions about them using religeon as a cover are spot on.

Does anyone remember the funeral of Matthew Sheppard (US Soldier). Another group outsmarted them and dressed as angels and blocked their view of the funeral. I think it may have been the Patriot Guard Riders that did that for the funeral, but what I suggest is they only plan to picket the convention for 45 minutes, I say get the 405th and 501st involved have a standing line blocking thier view of the convention, if I was going I would definatly do that.

Does anyone remember the funeral of Matthew Sheppard (US Soldier). Another group outsmarted them and dressed as angels and blocked their view of the funeral. I think it may have been the Patriot Guard Riders that did that for the funeral, but what I suggest is they only plan to picket the convention for 45 minutes, I say get the 405th and 501st involved have a standing line blocking thier view of the convention, if I was going I would definatly do that.

It very well could have been the Patriot Guard that I was talking about in the earlier post. If I lived closer to this Event, and had a full suit of Armor, I'd be all about that.

Wow it's people like this "church" that make Christianity look bad. Someone should tell them God hates sin, not people. I take offence to them saying they're christian because christian broken down means Christ-like and honestly they aren't. Jesus wouldn't protest comic-con. Then the deal with the soldiers funeral. Jesus would most likely give the eulogy. I say we protest them protesting.

I'm glad I'm Catholic so I cant be caught up in that crap! I'm not dissing Baptism, my best friend for life is Baptist, I'm just saying that those dudes just make Baptism look horrible and they arent! There is nothing wrong with nerds, gays, mentally ill people, crippled, and people who are just different! The only one to judge someone is God... and Peter the angel, the one that stands at the gates of heaven allowing people to enter.

I say Those going SDCC, bring Airsoft guns. Those who aren't, troll their website and spam it with various nerdy content, start a Facebook page called "WBC is [insert something extremely insulting here]" It's legal, isn't it?

I say Those going SDCC, bring Airsoft guns. Those who aren't, troll their website and spam it with various nerdy content, start a Facebook page called "WBC is [insert something extremely insulting here]" It's legal, isn't it?
Yea but we'd be sinking to their level. That's what they want so they can say they r martyrs for their unbiblical beliefs.

I stilkl say a Spartan and Stormtrooper line blocking them from the convention would sound perfect, no threatening moves just blocking them.

If you are going to SDCC, don't bring airsoft guns, don't go disrupt their demonstration, don't stand next to them and mock them, don't go simply to rant to them. Definitely don't trolll their website and spam it. Don't you hate it when people troll our site and spam it because they don't like us? Why would you do that to others?

They have a constitutional right to do what they do. I may not agree with or support it, and I think it's in very bad taste, but I will support their right to demonstrate in public areas (now if a cemetery should be designated a private space is something I support).

If you are going to SDCC, then go and enjoy SDCC. They shouldn't be on the center grounds so you can ignore them easily. If you absolutely, positively cannot live without interacting with them, then do so in a civil manner as an individual and with an open mind. While I have not dealt with the WBC, I have dealt with a similar groups at other conventions and at my school. They are individuals and vary in their own thoughts and feelings, and many do truly believe that what they are doing is to try and help people, twisted though it may appear to the rest of us.

It is not against the law to be where no one wants you to be. Their freedom to demonstrate does not infringe upon the attendees freedoms in any significant manner, and they do have the right to insult, just as you have a right not to listen.

Again, I urge 405th members to take the high road and do not engage, do not interact, do not get provoked. Just like the issue with the CCE, just leave them alone unless something illegal actually occurs.

You may only be partially kidding, though from what I've had to deal with working security at Fanime, it's not unreasonable to expect people to act on that. Half of the problem with protesters showing up is trying to control the crowd that shows up on the other side of the fence. Help the organizers, police, etc. by just going on about your day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back