Another noob enters the fray..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMagicNumber

Hi All,

New member here hoping to join in the fun :D

I found the site recently and a lot of the work here absolutely blew me away and the more time I spend here the more impressed and inspired I am. I've always been a Halo fan so to see the possibilities of what can be achieved with Pepakura, attention to detail and a bit of hard work I thought I'd jump in and give it a go.
I've never tried anything like this before so I'm on a steep learning curve at the moment so any help or (constructive) criticism is welcomed.

Ok, my goal is to build a Mark VI HD armour set with attention to accuracy to the Halo universe and games as I can, but with a little unique touch here and there to make it my own (yeh that's the cover story for when I screw up). Other than that it's all a long way away and to be honest I don't even know if I have the skill to complete this project, so I'm not counting chickens just yet.

Anyway, what I done so far? Well I spent a few days cruising the site and found the 405th Pep pack and grabbed that, bought the software and decided to start on the helmet. I bought my supplies (as best as I could source locally) and set to work on the printing, cutting, folding and gluing. I didn't run into too many problems, but I certainly learnt a few tricks on the way ;)
So after a few evenings spent cutting and folding I then spent a couple of days gluing and managed to complete, all be it somewhat sloppily, a mark VI helmet pep build..and if I'm honest, I'm quite proud of myself for a pep virgin.
Here's some pics, see what you think:

1_001.jpg

2_001.jpg

3_001.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Hi All,

New member here hoping to join in the fun :D

I found the site recently and a lot of the work here absolutely blew me away and the more time I spend here the more impressed and inspired I am. I've always been a Halo fan so to see the possibilities of what can be achieved with Pepakura, attention to detail and a bit of hard work I thought I'd jump in and give it a go.
I've never tried anything like this before so I'm on a steep learning curve at the moment so any help or (constructive) criticism is welcomed.

Ok, my goal is to build a Mark VI HD armour set with as much attention to accuracy to the Halo universe/ games as possible, but with a little unique touch here and there to make it my own. I'm going for the skunkworks prototype before the fall of Reach so the biggest point of difference from most peoples armour that I would like to achieve is the matte black finish...other than that it's all a long way away and to be honest I don't even know if I have the skill to complete this project, so I'm not counting chickens just yet.

Anyway, what I done so far? Well I spent a few days cruising the site and found the 405th Pep pack and grabbed that, bought the software and decided to start on the helmet. I bought my supplies (as best as I could source locally) and set to work on the printing, cutting, folding and gluing. I didn't run into too many problems, but I certainly learnt a few tricks on the way ;)
So after a few evenings spent cutting and folding I then spent a couple of days gluing and managed to complete, all be it somewhat sloppily, a mark VI helmet pep build..and if I'm honest, I'm quite proud of myself for a pep virgin.
Here's some pics, see what you think:

-snip-

-snip

-snip-

Thanks for looking in

No edge ID? Impressive for a first try, from the pictures I can't see any mistakes at all, great job.

Your helmet looks great!! I hope you continue to build the rest of the suit and I look forward to seeing everything come together! :D

Wow, no edge ID. I never would even try and do that, especially on the helmet. Great job, your pep work looks excellent.

Pep virgin ? You gotta be kidding me .... :) it looks very nice and you have clean folds as far as i can see.... and impressive that u do it without numbers...

Welcome to 405th ... i hope you enjoy it here :)

spes256

"all be it somewhat sloppily" - Not at all! In fact, from what I can see... It looks perfect.

Welcome to the 405th. :D

Dang and your off on an Epic start:
+1 Epicness for No Edge ID's
+1 for Clean crisp edges and folds
+1 for no wrinkles or warping
+1 for excellent outlook and attitude towards your goal.

I feel that if you keep up this quality of work, you will have a super good looking (Epic) Spartan.
(Subscribed)

:) :)

Wow. Guys thank you so much for the responses - I'm happy to say the least :D @LongShot-X: To get that comment from you is really something, I feel humbled lmao..your Mk VI thread is THE thread that convinced me to give this a go, your work, explanations and most of all your pictures are like a bible to someone like me (expect to see me steal most of your ideas), so thank you for reading and taking the time to comment - I appreciate it - I appreciate everyone else's comments too guys.

Thanks for the welcome to 405th - happy days.

Thanks for looking in

Just a quick update on my progress... got stuck in with trying to get some progress on the next part - the chest piece..tricky is the word, defiantly deep ends being jumped in here :D Reasonably happy with the outcome of the build but I am a little uncertain of the sizing, the piece has a finish height of 460mm which I feel may be a little big for my stature (I'm a shorty of 5'7") so after an entire evening stint of building I'm praying I haven't messed up and will have to rebuild...if anyone could leave a little feedback on that I'd be very grateful.
But anyway enough of the blah-blah-blah..here's a pic or two

3_001-1.jpg

4_001.jpg

Thanks for looking in

epic job so far +1 sub :)

looking foward to the end result =]

Awesome to have you onboard :D
I had to scrap the chest piece I made as I was unhappy with the size I made it so I've had to take a step backwards in progress unfortunately but hopefully I can catch up and get back on track over the weekend with a better revised build.

Thanks for looking in

I'm loving your build so far, Your pep work is really smooth and clean!
It sucks that you messed up with the chest but you're bound to have some issues with something this complicated.
Good luck with the rest of it! I'll definitely be watching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back