Drawn away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the 405th has lost any of its "wow" factor. It's just we've become accustomed to beautiful armor. We've just grown used to the wow factor.

Maybe you should have only certain periods of time when you can join, like the RPF.

Quoted for Emphasis.

Not trying to tell the Admins how they run the forum but I think thats a great Idea, if someone is serious about wanting to contribute they will come back at registration time.
As well as maybe, culling older accounts that have less than 5 posts.

Enforcing the rules a tad more in regards to new posts would be good, my pet peeve is the ones that say.
"My [insert name here] build/WIP" and then there is nothing but text saying "i plan on doing this, pictures soon" and then nothing happens.

I also think that we should disable the PM function until a member has made a set amount of posts.
I don't know how many times I have recieved requests for files, from someone who has just registered to send a PM.

In regards to the original post:
I come here everyday, I just don't post a lot because I don't feel the need to comment on every build.

I agree with Tactonyx on this, I even talked with Adam on Facebook after I decided to start communicating with whoever is running the 405th these days besides the noobs of the forum and told him what could be done to fix it, but he's not listening to anything there I guess especially since there was no reply. It took forever to even get rid of the E3 section of the old site let alone fix anything on the site these days, face it the staff are just flat out lazy I'll say it plain and simple a few of the moderators know what to do but some of them are first timers being the moderator or admin of a website. Put someone in control even for a short time that is here frequently and knows how to work on a website and can actually do good for the forums. Not someone that seems like they don't have a clue what they are oing or they are too busy with real life issues to work on the forums. Tactonyx the moderators cannot do anything to improve the forum besides police it and watch for useless theads and spam bots, which that does'nt seem to be happening much either with controling those two things. I think the only way a moderator can do something to work on the forums is if they close a thread like this and ignore it from there or just ignore it altogether and not give a damn about the people of the forum which is not the way a forum is supposed to be run. Heck I've run 3 websites, I've been the moderator of 5 forums and I have to admit when I first became a moderator I did'nt have a clue what to do, which is what half of the mod team on here seems to be doing. Here's what I have to say to the staff of the forum, straighten up and fix the forum, get help to do it if you need to from someone that knows how to work on forums or just close the currently useless 405th forums and don't look back on it because right now the other two Halo style forums seem to be doing better than this one. If a member of the staff does not like what I have said in this post do what you usually do look the other way and ignore it like you do with most of the rest of the site. Hell within 30 minutes of running this site with controls to ajust the forum sections I could turn it around so don't tell me you don't have enough time or you'll work on it when you get the time. Frankly this whole site needs to be remodeled but I don't see that happening in the future anytime soon and be glad I did'nt catch the Admin status on my name when you did the April Fools joke because I would have fixed the forums then.
-end rant

Honestly....I think the intense flow of unproductive convos and not quite bickering, but debating about future projects, claims on doing something big.......in the future, and flat out threads that show awesome pep'd stages, and a dead thread after that are what's making the wow factor go away. I feel like there's more talking than prop making. Also, I see way more non halo related props being focus'd on that I believe should on a site that is built around halo props. Just seems like people don't wanna build halo anymore. What's up with that?

I agree with Tactonyx on this, I even talked with Adam on Facebook after I decided to start communicating with whoever is running the 405th these days besides the noobs of the forum and told him what could be done to fix it, but he's not listening to anything there I guess especially since there was no reply. It took forever to even get rid of the E3 section of the old site let alone fix anything on the site these days, face it the staff are just flat out lazy I'll say it plain and simple a few of the moderators know what to do but some of them are first timers being the moderator or admin of a website. Put someone in control even for a short time that is here frequently and knows how to work on a website and can actually do good for the forums. Not someone that seems like they don't have a clue what they are oing or they are too busy with real life issues to work on the forums. Tactonyx the moderators cannot do anything to improve the forum besides police it and watch for useless theads and spam bots, which that does'nt seem to be happening much either with controling those two things. I think the only way a moderator can do something to work on the forums is if they close a thread like this and ignore it from there or just ignore it altogether and not give a damn about the people of the forum which is not the way a forum is supposed to be run. Heck I've run 3 websites, I've been the moderator of 5 forums and I have to admit when I first became a moderator I did'nt have a clue what to do, which is what half of the mod team on here seems to be doing. Here's what I have to say to the staff of the forum, straighten up and fix the forum, get help to do it if you need to from someone that knows how to work on forums or just close the currently useless 405th forums and don't look back on it because right now the other two Halo style forums seem to be doing better than this one. If a member of the staff does not like what I have said in this post do what you usually do look the other way and ignore it like you do with most of the rest of the site. Hell within 30 minutes of running this site with controls to ajust the forum sections I could turn it around so don't tell me you don't have enough time or you'll work on it when you get the time. Frankly this whole site needs to be remodeled but I don't see that happening in the future anytime soon and be glad I did'nt catch the Admin status on my name when you did the April Fools joke because I would have fixed the forums then.
-end rant

Couldnt of said it any better myself

Just seems like people don't wanna build halo anymore. What's up with that?

I just think its the time of year . I am not sure, but you are right. I think people will come back to halo once somthing nwe is released

Oh boy huzzah, I love these threads!
I especially love the parts where everyone lumps all of the Mods and Admins together in one big group that just doesn't give a crap!
Or when everyone assumes that because nothing has changed, the Mods (who are not the same as Admins, btw) must be ignoring everything that you're saying. Or that we don't want the same changes you do.

I'm going to leave this open until another staffer decides to close it. I know once these threads turn into the inevitable Staff-bashing that I love to read, like this has, they'll just pop up again and again with different titles but all say the same thing. I'll let the venting be in one place until someone else decides otherwise.

And the RPF now has open registration too and has for months, so referencing that as a model for closed membership is no longer relevant.

I rarely visit beyond the gen chat or classifieds section anymore. I might go back to the other sections when I have more work to post, but more than likely I would probably just post it on Youtube. I don't ever find a need to go to elite section because I've seen plenty of work in the last 2 years that should be in there but isn't and work that is in there that shouldn't be. I feel too much good, new work gets overlooked here by overbearing children asking the same questions over and over, or the guy that constantly spams his thread with pics of the same suit that's been done for months and months and months just to attention whore.

Honestly if it weren't for gen chat which I rarely post in anyways I would probably log in maybe once a month if that.

And the RPF now has open registration too and has for months, so referencing that as a model for closed membership is no longer relevant.

True it has, but I can still use it as an example. My point was, if they had to wait a few months, those who actually care about joining would stay. Without being able to post questions, they would have to look up the information themselves.

I think that the stickies should be cleaned up and be more accessable to the general public. There should be one thread for scaling, with different types of scaling in it, and lock it unless a new method is found.

I'm going to leave this open until another staffer decides to close it.

Hi Ruze789. Before I say anything I want to say that I think this site is the bee's knees (simply stated). I would hope though that the admin/mods don't just blindly lock or delete these threads because I think some of the suggestions are valid and are coming from people who genuinely want the site to grow and flourish. While some ideas can and probably should be dismissed by the higher-ups like yourself I think they should at least be considered.

As far as mod-bashing, I don't know if there are old feelings/battles concerning this but it does sound like there is at least a perceived lack of admin/mod activity. I won't pretend to know much about it but I imagine there is much that goes into maintaining a site like with the amount of users and posts/threads but perhaps there's a way for the admins/mods to let others know what they're doing (like maybe status/news updates for the site right on the home-page). I think everyone's wanting to know that someone's behind the curtain calling the shots, perhaps those curtain-calls could be more effectively communicated to members. Maybe the intent is for the direction of site to move towards having a minimum of leadership, if that's the creator's wish I suppose then that's that, but I think there are many wanting to have a leader(s) to look to.

Rooting around the site there does seem to be a few dead general projects that would be awesome to work on or reinstate. The Top 25 links on the home-page or an iteration there-of would be cool to see. The pepakura files page would be awesome to see (I can imagine it'd be taxing to start but if under one or a few people's detailed care it might be easier). Small stuff like updates to banners and a news feed on the home-page would show people that there is some direction out there. I think I really like the news feed idea. Maybe things like these are being worked on or maybe they're beyond resuscitation/repair but, right now at least, no one really knows.

That's just my opinion may you take it or leave it. All I know is, I've much pepakura to assemble so I'm going to go do that. Thank you for your consideration.

Oh boy huzzah, I love these threads!
I especially love the parts where everyone lumps all of the Mods and Admins together in one big group that just doesn't give a crap!
Or when everyone assumes that because nothing has changed, the Mods (who are not the same as Admins, btw) must be ignoring everything that you're saying. Or that we don't want the same changes you do.

I'm going to leave this open until another staffer decides to close it. I know once these threads turn into the inevitable Staff-bashing that I love to read, like this has, they'll just pop up again and again with different titles but all say the same thing. I'll let the venting be in one place until someone else decides otherwise.

I never intended this to become a staff bashing thread. I just wanted to know if I was the only one who felt like they were being drawn away from the 405th. From the looks of things I guess I got my answer... Guys do not take everything out on the staff. They have lives just like everyone else, and therefore cannot be online to constantly cater to each individual's needs. If this thread becomes a problem, please close it down. I guess I should have known this was going to happen when I posted this thread.

-sean

Discussion like this has happened before and will continue to happen. While I don't defend the mods/admins in this forum, I also don't disagree with what Nintendude views. All of us have to keep this in mind, the mods/admins are not doing this for the money. They, like us, have jobs that bring in the money that support their own family. They are mods because they want to contribute to the forum. We should not expect them to do anything extraordinary to 405th unless they are being paid full-time.

We all can say what we want, but if I'm the mod, I would feel the same like Ruze. Instead of worrying what the members do, I would be worrying if I have any milk in my fridge for my kids. My point is the mods and admins are not going to view every single thread and do every improvements to bring 405th back to life.

What we need is sane people with the right mind to join 405th. We need to self-police of what is going on in the forum. There are threads that are utterly irrelevant to the original goals of 405th. And there are solutions to them: we report them to the mods to shut these down or we just ignore them entirely.

Here's is what I suggest. From now on, when we see threads started with "I have a grand plan and I want to do these...", or "Hi! I'm such and such..." or any threads without any work in progress, all of us are obligated to reply to the thread as below:

"Welcome to 405th! Please read the stickies in the noob forum to learn how to make armor. There is a thread to introduce yourself. You should start a thread only if you have photos to show. This thread will be closed and deleted by mod."

Let me know what you think.

Discussion like this has happened before and will continue to happen. While I don't defend the mods/admins in this forum, I also don't disagree with what Nintendude views. All of us have to keep this in mind, the mods/admins are not doing this for the money. They, like us, have jobs that bring in the money that support their own family. They are mods because they want to contribute to the forum. We should not expect them to do anything extraordinary to 405th unless they are being paid full-time.

We all can say what we want, but if I'm the mod, I would feel the same like Ruze. Instead of worrying what the members do, I would be worrying if I have any milk in my fridge for my kids. My point is the mods and admins are not going to view every single thread and do every improvements to bring 405th back to life.

What we need is sane people with the right mind to join 405th. We need to self-police of what is going on in the forum. There are threads that are utterly irrelevant to the original goals of 405th. And there are solutions to them: we report them to the mods to shut these down or we just ignore them entirely.

Here's is what I suggest. From now on, when we see threads started with "I have a grand plan and I want to do these...", or "Hi! I'm such and such..." or any threads without any work in progress, all of us are obligated to reply to the thread as below:

"Welcome to 405th! Please read the stickies in the noob forum to learn how to make armor. There is a thread to introduce yourself. You should start a thread only if you have photos to show. This thread will be closed and deleted by mod."

I like the idea of "self-policing". I guess the only way to end or at least control the "*Derp Noob pandemic" is to do what you have just mentioned. I'm not saying that all noobs are like this though. I have seen some new members who show promise with their work.

*Derp Noob: A noob who does not want to take the time required to make something awesome.; A noob who expects instant results on an epic level as quickly as possible.

I think this is a good idea. There only needs to be one person posting that, and then it can be closed.

I do feel for the Mods, they get criticized in pretty much every forum I've been a part of. I will say that recently, if I report an indecision/planning/no photos thread, I've noticed it gets closed rather quickly. So thank you for that.

Remember guys, the mods can't be checking every single thread all the time. It's our responsibility to help out by reporting any useless noob threads.

What are the requirements for becoming a mod?

Obviously some of us are pretty motivated to try to get this forum looking great. If more of us became moderators we could each be in charge of a certain section. I love this place, and I would love to help get it back on track and looking great.

I also have to agree with Nintendude, someone just needs to take the time to get the rest of the website working again. One person could work on the web pages while a few people gather the content (pep files, top 25 projects, etc). I don't know anything about websites, but I could gather some info, and I think Nintendude does way too much for this place as it is.

I like the idea of "self-policing". I guess the only way to end or at least control the "*Derp Noob pandemic" is to do what you have just mentioned. I'm not saying that all noobs are like this though. I have seen some new members who show promise with their work.

*Derp Noob: A noob who does not want to take the time required to make something awesome.; A noob who expects instant results on an epic level as quickly as possible.

i konw what you mean. i organise an aircraft modeling club, and so many people expect results in days, not months.
but i fee that there is still quite a bit of inovation going on, especialy with foam, and the detailing that can be put in, but why fix somthing if it isnt broken?
i do try and encourage other member to make stuff more personalised, personalise paint schemes, and try to work on an undersuit (which im guilty of making a horrible set).
but self policing. i wish there was a button at the top of a thread of mine so i could personaly close it, instead of having to waste a mods time asking them to shut down a thread that was going no-where.
but i think the reason why there is little innovation is that we have reach a kind of enlightened state where we have found the most efficient and simplets way of making good armour, with foam being a more comfortable option, sp wh fix it if it aint borken, though when i joined the 405th i think about a week later the 405th was first mentioned on Halo waypoint, and i got a tad annoyed as u just kenw that that would bring in other nooblets like myself, but ones that hadnt spent months trawling threads and realising how much of an undertakement it would be.

Roadkiller already made the Noob Reading List, I think that follows the same line of thought. Minus the harshness of course - posting "will be closed and deleted" as a reply to someones first post sounds like "go away you idiot", and that is a message I wouldn't want to put into a canned copy&paste response, because people tend to pay less attention when opening up cans.

I think I've seen pretty much all kinds of people join:

1. Productive, helpful members with ongoing WIP threads.
  2. People with grand plans who in the end lose the debate they start and usually never come back after that.
  3. People who want to learn but who are genuinely confused.
  4. People who have no intention to learn and want everything said, summarised, explained and done for them. Cheap. Now.
#1 and #2 aren't really the people anybody should worry about I think.

#3 is where the actual problems start, and the problem doesn't lie with the new members here, but with the site. I have to agree with those who say that the tutorial/sticky situation needs improvement. Spase was collecting constributions for an "official" FAQ to counter this problem a while back, and I assume that there is still something being planned or going on behind the curtains. If you read this, Spase: No rush, but you could really please the crowd with a little update every now and then :)

#4 is probably the one that many people are (again) thinking of here, thus all the harsh ideas for solutions. But in contrast to #3, this time the problem really is the noob: some people are simply lazy. So what can you do about it?

• You can try to funnel all these people into a separate room where they hopefully don't bother anyone and lose interest soon (-> Noob Forum) - Obviously that's not enough, because people are still complaining.
  • You can try to just delete everything you don't like, and when that doesn't work blame it all on the mods (who actually have a really good response time, anybody who occasionally reports stuff should have noticed that).
  • You can contemplate how the 405th is going downhill, but do nothing about it, sit on your own elitist hill instead and ignore their questions. This is certainly the most unproductive thing you can do, because it helps absolutely nobody.
  • You can have people solve a quiz before giving them certain privileges. Problem: I doubt that the forum software supports this, so lots of manual work would be involved. Aside from that, the 405th is rather popular and I have no doubt that the right answers would sooner or later pop up in some Youtube comment in the forum of "check these to get in: ABCABADECBAF". Learning effect in that case: none.
  • You can try to actually help them. Either by answering their questions, which will certainly help now but not in the long run (giving a fish vs. giving fishing lessons, remember?), or by pointing them to wherever they should be asking or looking, if the question is common. - That one is my personal favourite.

What are the requirements for becoming a mod?

Obviously some of us are pretty motivated to try to get this forum looking great. If more of us became moderators we could each be in charge of a certain section. I love this place, and I would love to help get it back on track and looking great.

I also have to agree with Nintendude, someone just needs to take the time to get the rest of the website working again. One person could work on the web pages while a few people gather the content (pep files, top 25 projects, etc). I don't know anything about websites, but I could gather some info, and I think Nintendude does way too much for this place as it is.

I salute you for taking the initiative to make 405th better. However, it is not as easy as it seems. I work for a several multi-national companies in my lifetime and I can tell you how difficult it is to come up with a consensus, even on a simple subject. All of us in 405th are probably live in different parts of the world. That in it self is a challenge.

I'm willing to help if the mods/admins allow it. Here is what I propose:

1) We initiate the "self-policing" the threads in 405th and lock-down new memberships.
2) We start a focus group of volunteers what are willing to help.
3) We identified the projects that need to be done in 405th. We also need to identify web-experts.
4) Each project is given to at least 2 volunteers, but no more than 4. Each team has the autonomous authority over the contents, with mods/admins input.
5) Web-experts take the contents and update 405th.

If there are enough volunteers, we maybe able to revampt 405th within 3 - 4 months.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back