Gencon '09

Status
Not open for further replies.
HaloFreakX said:
You know you misspelled LeeKegan's name.

Oops, sorry, Lee. Changing...

LeeKegan said:
I'll bring the M6G and will see about the BR.

Alright, I'll edit that too. Glad to hear we're gonna get to see those!

And I have a final-ish response from the GenCon staff regarding our weaponry.

Gencon Staff @ June 1 said:
Our show policies are available online, and I’ve copied the section on costuming and weapons below for your reference.

In brief, though, it would be best to err on the side of caution with your weapons. Props that that are obviously futuristic should be OK, but borderline items should be clearly marked as such. In either event, you’ll want to go to the Info Desk to get an official OK (and peace-bond, if necessary).

I also want to say that those are some impressive replicas you have. I’m glad to see Halo getting some of the same attention as Star Wars J Hopefully I’ll see you at the show!

Costumes & Weapons
Weapons and items that appear to be weapons are not allowed at Gen Con. Self defense, recreational and utility items such as knifes, tazers, pepper spray, BB guns, cap guns, air-soft weapons, paintball guns, water guns, etc, are not welcome, even if it is lawful to own and carry them. Off duty security, law-enforcement and military personnel are not allowed to bring their weapons to Gen Con. Items resembling futuristic weapons, fantasy weapons and non-projectile boffer weapons may be allowed provided they are not used in a threatening or destructive way against person or property.

Questionable items can be brought to the Information Desk in the convention center during operating hours to be checked for compliance with this policy. Some events may provide exceptions to this policy under strict circumstances defined by that event. Items purchased in the Exhibit Hall that violate this policy must be wrapped and immediately removed from the convention premises.

20th & 21st century uniforms may not be worn as costumes. These include any uniform that can be construed as a military uniform from any country or a uniform worn in an official capacity, such as security guard, police officer, deputy, fire marshal, paramedic, etc. Active duty military personnel are permitted to wear their government issued uniforms.

Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel may inspect any item or costume at any time during the convention. Failure to comply with these policies and/or the instructions of Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel may result in immediate removal from the convention without refund.

If you have any questions about these policies, please contact Gen Con Customer Service before the convention or visit the Information Desk in the convention center during operating hours.

So it sounds like our plasma weaponry (the Lasertag Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol) are definitely fine. They look more like a toy from Mattel then a real weapon. The ARs, BRs, M6s, M90s, etc might need to be checked by the staff, but I wouldn't bet on it. They are definitely iconic to the Halo franchise. The Splasers, Gravity Hammers and SPNKrs should be fine as well.

Things like the Smick6 Spiker, spike grenades of anysort, Vrogy's Legendary knives, and anything like that isn't gonna be allowed without some heavy modifications. Spikers would need new blades, probably with orange tips, same with the spike grenades.

I don't think we have any UNSC Naval Officer uniforms, but in the event that there is one, it might not fly with the Staff. It might resemble 20-21st century uniforms too much.

Be careful, 405th, I don't want anyone getting thrown off the premises when we get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is GenCon?

UNSC Naval officer uniforms don't look like USN uniforms.

EDIT: I have seen people in actual military uniforms at Anime Central, and I was also pondering on wearing my uniform to it. Just don't act like a tard, and you should be fine.

Loess said:
D'oh! I can't bring my Smick spiker...... :cry:

Looks like I'll need to find something else.

Yeah... and our Smick6's are some of the best looking and coolest props we've got, too.

Here's their response to the Spikers.

GenCon Staff @ May 29 2009 said:
Based on the photos you sent, our Operations Manager will approve your props for Indy 09. They are clearly futuristic weapons from a recognized genre. Though he does have one concern. There appears to be metal blades/fins on the weapon in the third image. These blades/fins cannot be sharp, pointy, or dangerous in anyway. Or the prop will not be allowed.

It scares them.

Queen said:
Where is GenCon?
UNSC Naval officer uniforms don't look like USN uniforms.
EDIT: I have seen people in actual military uniforms at Anime Central, and I was also pondering on wearing my uniform to it. Just don't act like a tard, and you should be fine.

Normally, yeah. However there are some rules (read: laws) regarding dressing up as US Army, Air Force, Naval, and Marine personnel. Impersonation of a US military soldier/officer is illegal.

UNSC gear is based loosely on the dress uniforms of the USN.

T628760A.gif

1577764849_15135bb85c_b.jpg

It's different to the trained eye (us) but to most civies, it's a tad harder to distinguish with out both being placed in front of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that clears things up a bit about the uniforms.

Haaaa. You civilians can't cosplay Lord Hood.

No spikers, that sucks. Cant there be one with card board blades or mdf non pointy or sharp instead? That would be easy to do. I have seen plenty of people carrying around fake swords so this kind of confuses me. The main blades could easily be changed out.

Actually most people only have plastic or mdf blades anyway, the aluminum ones are not that common.

Cortana and I were talking, and she's going to enter the Costume Contest. Her check-in time is at 2:00 (I think) on Saturday.

I'd like to suggest we set the time for the gathering at 11:00am, since I also have another event I'd like to attend in a different costume, thus I kinda wanna hang out a bit before I go throw off the Arbiter. Haha.

But anyway, that way it's not too early in the morning if you're only driving in on Sat, and it's also not too late so as to interfere with some of the bigger events.

Sound good?

As far as meeting place goes, it might be best to get some exposure where we meet. If I remember correctly, heading towards the exhibition room, there's a roomy space where I remember seeing a lot of Stormtroopers hanging out. (501st, I'll bet). People were lining up to get pictures, ask questions, etc.

Looking at the floorplan, it's that open-ish space in the southwest corner of the diagram. (If you're looking at it landscape).

But if we wanted somewhere a little more quiet.. well, it's GenCon. It's packed with people. It'd be hard to find a not-so-busy space, hah.

Hey guys, the official 405th gathering will be on Sat @ 11am, and it will be held at the food court in front of the exhibition center.

Here are some pic from when I was there.

Taking parts around to show how pep is done.

[media]
Picture001.jpg
[/media]

Winner of drawing on Rube's helment.

[media]
Picture002.jpg
[/media]

Sorry for the double post, but it will only let me put 2 pics in a post.

I thought the event went off great. Between Drakku and Loess explaining pep and Cortana explaining how she made up her costume. The attendee's had had a lot of questions and after it was over they came up and said they really enjoyed it.

Group that did the Demostration minus Cortana, she had to leave.

Picture013.jpg

Drakku, Loess wife or girlfriend?, Loess, LeeKegan

Here is a pic of Loess holding my SMG ODST.

[media]
Picture012.jpg
[/media]

I have more pics, but I will stick them in my gallery.

hey guys sorry i couldn't make it to the work shop, the registration line was insane, took over an hour and a half. i did meet up with loess and he said when i got to the westin i missed you all by 5 minutes :( and i didn't see any of you guys there other then loess in the exibit hall. guess i learned that i need to will call next year instead of waiting in line. btw it was funny i was wearing h3 odst with h2 helmet and loess was wearing h2 odst with h3 helmet lol i will post some pictures of me and him in armor and a vid of me tee baging an invisle elite

hey heres my stuff from gen con with loess

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1De21TO4Nrc[/media]

P8040009.jpg

I just got back, and man was it a blast!

Myself, AlyxOokami, Loess, }Cortana, and Drakku were all there, and we spent a fair amount of time talking and passing out 405th info cards. Loess and }Cortana were caught up with a lot of pictures.

Unfortunately, being the idiot that I am, I forgot my camera. But Drakku has a bunch on her iPhone (or iTouch, I wasn't really looking), so we should be seeing those pretty soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back