Grrr! We're freelancers! Red vs Blue WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um... Why isn't this in the elite section yet? SERIOUSLY WHY NOT!?!!?... well you have my opinion :p

-Seth

Um... Why isn't this in the elite section yet? SERIOUSLY WHY NOT!?!!?... well you have my opinion :p

-Seth

People that deserve it don't get in any more. I have tried to encourage an elite move on some one else's thread that also deserves it through getting people to post and I contacted the mods but I guess they are too busy for such things due to combatting the spam bots, haven't enough time to do it or just aren't bothered. Shame really cause this is such an awesome forum full of the best, both as people and artists. like I have said before its not about notoriety but would be nice to see these kind of builds hitting the big time .

I guess these days getting the attention and comments we give makes a sort of elite status and Sara has definatly got it :)

I was toying with idea of starting some sort of petition threads so that people can post on them saying that a build should be moved to elite. Dunno if this might annoy the mods but not sure what else can be done to get their attention.

Anyways off topic a bit so rant over :)
Tom.

wow, thanks guys :)
As much as it would be nice to see this go elite, bublycarolina wouldn't be able to post updates on it and there's still so much work to go on it.

As for the tut, I know I keep saying this but it's still coming. I've been pretty busy lately and I'm making this mould my first priority right now, as soon as it's down I'll finish the editing. Again, thanks so much to everyone that's commented on this build, Nicole and I can be pretty shy sometimes so we're really encouraged by and appreciate every kind word. You guys are the best!

Hey Sara, just wanted to share some advice on vac forming the visor. Ive been doing it today and found that the back all needs to be sealed like a box so its completely flush with the former. Otherwise an air pocket gets created behind it and it all goes abit funny :S course im a noob and probs messed it up somehow haha but just wanted to let you know! saves wasting materials etc :)

I am so excited to see that video! But even more excited to see how the first helmet comes out!!! Good luck with the vacuum former, I hear they can be tricky. Especially with the visors and stuff. You have a stellar model though so you will be able to try many times ahha.

Thanks guys :D

I've had a really busy week but the mold is done. I picked up some casting resin today and I should be pulling the first cast tomorrow night. To everyone that has pm'd me about getting a cast I'm sorry about the delay but I promise I haven't forgotten you.

I've found a new petg supplier as the last one was dragging their feet, I'm getting 1.5mm stuff now and should have it within the week.

It's been raining non stop for days now though so I don't think we'll be building the vacformer this weekend. Should be good weather for finishing that video though :p

Hey guys, sorry for the double post but I've uploaded the bondo tutorial.
Hopefully it's useful to somebody and not too painful to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned in the video about wet sanding. I highly recommend it if you haven't already. I did a bit on mine to see what it's like and it becomes super smooth. I asked my wife to feel how smooth my helmet was and she was impressed :p (sorry couldn't resist)

Oh only 3:30 in to the vid so will comment how usefull, awesome, inspiring it is when I watch it all after work :)

I gave the helmet a wet sand before I cast it, soooo smooth. I think I'll be wet sanding everything before it's painted.

Great tutorial and very useful! i've been watching Dave's (cereal killers) before I get started on my own bondo project, and your video has filled in some gaps so great stuff!

Ok, for starters awesome tut video. Kind of got mad that the vid said it was around 30 minutes and cut off at 14:43, and I had to reload my webpage to get it to play the full vid. Secondly, your roommate is both a punk and awesome with the "that's what she said" jokes. I will definitely be using your techniques when I get to that part of my build. You are also very brave not using gloves. I use nitriles (aka surgical gloves). Most auto parts stores sell them for this type of work. Outside of carbon cleaner used to deep clean parts of an engine, I haven't found anything that will eat through them.

Keep up the awesome work and I hope the casting goes just as amazing as your master has been.

Thanks, glad you like it, the first 'that's what she said' was Nicole (bubblycarolina), she'd been saying it all day before I filmed that bit and it just kept popping into my head while I was editing this afternoon, couldn't help myself lol

It's weird that it cut off at 14 minutes, I don't seem to have that problem with it, it's meant to be 35 min long, has anyone else had this problem? If so please let me know.
If needs be I'll re upload, maybe with a different file extension or something, this is my first youtube vid so I'm not sure what could be going wrong sorry :(

I finished the mother mold yesterday afternoon and then decided I didn't have the silicone thick enough :/ I've put a few more layers on tonight to be safe and I'll re do the mother tomorrow while Nicole is at my place again. To clear up any confusion, Nicole often works on the armour at my place. All going to plan I should be able to pull the first cast tomorrow night, at the very least we'll have a few hand plate casts.

edit: would the quality settings have an effect? maybe it's worth trying a lower res.

yeah, sorry. I edited the post and it went through after you responded. Played fine the second time around. I'll just blame it on the super awesome internet I have right now. Which decides at it's own leasure to be rediculiously fast as if to know what I want to do before I know, to so slow I'd be better off communicating with Pluto through smoke signals. Can't wait to see the first pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back