Grrr! We're freelancers! Red vs Blue WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
this just gets better and better! Id also be interested in the vac former. Im currently getting very creative in materials for making one haha, no idea how itll work, find out tomorrow!

I cannot believe how utterly amazing this is, i mean seriously its crazy awesome!!

Everything looks absolutely stunning. By far the BEST work i have seen on a suit of halo armor yet!

Heres only hoping that i could get myself a cast of that EVA xD

How did u do the detail lines in the visor ? They look so symmetrical and perfect

I started by tracing the shape on n pencil then I used a rotary tool to etch it in a little, from there I shaped it entirely with needle files and the folded edge of sandpaper. You can see a couple photos of that on page 16.

Looks wonderful!
And yes please document the Vac-former!

Will do! I'll be using X-robots plans for the vac-former.

Thank you so much everyone, I'm very flattered now XD I'm glad you're liking the build, it's coming out even better that I'd hoped it would. I'm really excited to get started on my own helmet now as well as the brute shot.

I've decided I'm going to hold off on the MkVI helmet for now, I've got a lot of pieces to do so I need to save some of the fun stuff for last.

Thanks again for continuing to look at our build and leave feedback, it's still a long road ahead of us. Also, 100 posts! yay!

wow sara. you do not disappoint whatsoever, that EVA looks AMAZING! It has been awhile since i have looked at your thread and the amount of work has been nothing but great! Keep up the awesome work !!!!!!!

I hate this thread for one reason..

Looks at your work...looks at my work...wants to throw my work in the bin and start again :(

Great job on the EVA, absolutely amazing skill in shaping the bondo..just amazing.

Every time I look at that helmet I think,"There is no way she can make it look any better." and yet every update you do!! I applaud you for this amazing work of art that you are making. Truly and inspiration. I look forward to your next update!

Thanks so much everyone :)
I'm soooo close to having this thing done, it's a blob-ular mess of spot putty at the moment but all the detail is done, I've just got to smooth out all the putty and make it all pretty. All going to plan I should be molding it by the weekend at the very latest, hopefully we'll get time to start on the vac-former on the weekend too.

Here's today's progress:

8382038835_c178b4bd83_o.jpg

I hate this thread for one reason..

Looks at your work...looks at my work...wants to throw my work in the bin and start again :(

Great job on the EVA, absolutely amazing skill in shaping the bondo..just amazing.

Whaaaaat!? yours is coming out really well! If my MkVI lid comes out as nice as yours I'll be pleased. Thanks though :)

Hey Sara. Just wondering how did you do the "Q" shaped detail on the back of the helmet. I have been looking at builds and working out how people do all their random detailing but I can't figure the "Q" out.
Its looking soooo good btw :)

The Q detail was pretty fiddly. I started that detail when I was smoothing out the back. When I had the first coat of filler down I put down a circle of craft foam and built up the height around it. While I was building up the height I would carve out the little tail part.

To fill in the circle on the inside I wrapped a 2ml piece of craft foam around the inside edge to act as a spacer. Then I filled the inside of the foam circle with bondo. Throughout the process I did some tweaking and shaping with a blade.

I've made good progress sanding down the spot putty this afternoon and I'm pretty sure I'll have it finished tomorrow. I can't wait to paint and weather one of these casts, I think it'll really make the detail pop.

Thanks for the reply Hun. I thought that must have been how you did it but wanted to check you hadn't found some handy little tool that made it easier.

Edit. I just ordered my filler, resin and glaze this week so might have to start one of my new lids :)

i pulled out an ODST helmet i'd been working on. deciding whether with bondo work, it's salvagable, or to cut my losses and start again.
Seeing this thread gave me hop for the bondo..... till i remembered i cant bondo like you =P
back to square one... pepakura!

Thanks for the reply Hun. I thought that must have been how you did it but wanted to check you hadn't found some handy little tool that made it easier.

Edit. I just ordered my filler, resin and glaze this week so might have to start one of my new lids :)

I'm really looking forward to your bondo work, I bet you'll nail it :)

i pulled out an ODST helmet i'd been working on. deciding whether with bondo work, it's salvagable, or to cut my losses and start again.
Seeing this thread gave me hop for the bondo..... till i remembered i cant bondo like you =P
back to square one... pepakura!

Don't give up :) if there's ever anything I can do to help feel free to message me. I'm still editing that video tutorial, I can't promise that'll help but it might.

Okay, update time...

IT'S DONE!!!!!! WOOO!!!!!!!

I finished the body work on the helmet today and now it's ready to be moulded. Honestly, it's not perfect, there are still some bit that I'd like to give a bit more attention but I think they'll be easier to work with on the cast, it's only very minor stuff. Sorry about the stack of photos I just wanted to show it off now it's done. I'll start the print coat of silicone tomorrow night and if everything goes to plan I'll have a completed cast by the weekend.

8388433823_ee2206672d_z.jpg

8388408189_7263a2d20a_z.jpg

8388409525_3bd941de3f_z.jpg

8388409765_f26b2f90e5_z.jpg

8389495550_e77a8b45e8_z.jpg

8389495778_29251de470_z.jpg

8389495898_00eeee1ef1_z.jpg

8388409979_c97a2bb8d9_z.jpg

8388409349_c70a18f8c0_z.jpg

It's looking like we've got a busy weekend ahead so I don't think we'll get to the vac-former this week :/ I don't have the PET for it yet anyway.

Cheers :)

OUCH!!! Just cracked my jaw on the floor at how...........just can't express how awesome this is :)
Such a big fan,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back