Grrr! We're freelancers! Red vs Blue WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
good job on the video sara, "you nailed it" lol.... no seriously you did. thats exactly how i do everything (for those who didn't know already) very informative for the people who need to see how its done. hats off to you my lady :)

i had no issues playing the video at all.

oh stupid weather, needs to go away and righten up so i can get back to painting and bondo work, my recon and scout helmets are not happy with me i imagine. I guess that means going back to pepping today :( oh god I hate pepping sometimes, especially when the pieces seem so small and impossible!

Must...own....cast!!! My want for it has increased just by watching the video!

OMG that helmet is down right amazing. just...AMAZING!!

Pleeeeeease tell me your gonna sell some casts. (and..maybe accept trades...i has no money right now...lol)

Grade A+++++++++++
A for awesomesausatasticallity (awesome sause a tactic allity)

Keep up the good work, i know you will!

Sara...damb fine video. Wasnt painful at all....didnt mind the Floyd at all. Video was great to watch, cool to see how you have done it. They only problem I can see is that we are all going to expect a video from now on:D Seriously great job. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my Nextbook 7

Thanks guys :) glad you liked the tutorial, I think I'll be shooting a few more in the future.

Update: I've pulled my first cast from the EVA mold! unfortunately it didn't go flawlessly, I thought I had all my registration keys in place but I guess I missed one :( otherwise for my first attempt as slush casting I think it went okay.

8422173369_70c9915d3e_z.jpg

Sorry about the bad quality photos, my dslr battery is flat and we're having rolling blackouts at the moment. Things have been a bit hectic here the past few days, we're surrounded by severe flooding, the occasional tornado and our town is cut off by floodwater :/ it's still pouring at the moment but the waters have peaked and are on their way back down, luckily my town is on a hill in the middle of a valley, everywhere nearby ends up underwater but we're always okay.

We didn't get to the vac-former this weekend and it may take another couple of weeks, hopefully none of the suppliers we were using have been effected by the floods but it's still going to take a bit of extra time getting stuff done around here for the time being. I just feel so badly for my state right now :( we're only just getting back on our feet from being underwater exactly 2 years ago, this is really going to hurt the small businesses around here.

So anyway, that's it for the time being, I won't have much more to report til the weather clears up a bit. I won't be ready to release any helmets for a couple of weeks yet but feel free to pm me if you're interested in grabbing one of my spare casts.

Sorry about the bad weather, heck, it's been raining like crazy all the way over in Arizona! The casts look great, cant wait to see what's next.

I don't see anything wrong with the first pull, it looks great to me! And now you have learned and can make self improvements on what you think needs fixing. It is going to look so awesome when you are done (not that it doesn't already).

So I'm guessing this is a picture of the master next to the first pull. Which is which? Looks like a great pull.

I'll +1 that cast looking great comment. And I'm also with Spencers. . . . If you don't like the outcome of the first pull. . . . . I'll definitely take it off your hands. :p

Great job on the cast. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys, but it's not very usable (the cast is the yellow one). One of the 'ears' is caved in, I had a registration key there and I think as it's fallen out of the mother mold it's pulled that area of the mold down with it. There's also some dimpling around the keys that are on the visor.

In short I've molded it too thin. I'm re-molding as we speak. I'm confident I can fix these issues though. In parts the mold is about 2mm, I had no idea it was that thin, working in patches because of the reduced pot life of the silicone I was using didn't help. I thought about pulling the old mold back over the master and adding some thickness but now that it's already been removed I'm concerned about warping any of the shapes.

Luckily I've traded it in for some Elastosil ow and it's been beautiful to work with. With any luck I'll be casting EVA 2.0 within the week.

can't wait. I haven't been disappointed by any of your work, actually your progression and skill has been quite amazing. Keep it up.

hi sara , hope your doing ok. saw your video about bondo detailing and its amazing! thank you so much for sharing sara really apreciate it. since you said that if we had some questions well my friend has one. he built a gladiator maximus helmet and its fiberglass on the inside with rondo and on the outside its hardened with resin but he told me if you could give hime some tips about the spikes that go on top since he says there dificul to pep and they dont look very good if he ended up pepping them. heres a pic of the helmet so you can see the spikes , there like coned shaped and i know theres a member here that made a mold of custom spikes. my friend doesnt have such materials for molding , he wants to make them with bondo since he saw and loved you tutorial. what would you recomend??? how can he achieve those coned spikes???

helmetleft-378x600_zpsafa1e921.jpg

hi sara , hope your doing ok. saw your video about bondo detailing and its amazing! thank you so much for sharing sara really apreciate it. since you said that if we had some questions well my friend has one. he built a gladiator maximus helmet and its fiberglass on the inside with rondo and on the outside its hardened with resin but he told me if you could give hime some tips about the spikes that go on top since he says there dificul to pep and they dont look very good if he ended up pepping them. heres a pic of the helmet so you can see the spikes , there like coned shaped and i know theres a member here that made a mold of custom spikes. my friend doesnt have such materials for molding , he wants to make them with bondo since he saw and loved you tutorial. what would you recomend??? how can he achieve those coned spikes???

I know this is for Sara, but you could get modeling clay and make a model of the spike. After that you could cast it with almost anything (smooth cast, resin, ultra cal, hot glue, maybe even silicone caulking etc. . . ) and then pour the bondo or a rondo mix into the mold you made of it. Doing that would ensure that all of the spikes are identical. I've made similar molds out of hot glue and just straight fiberglass resin. You just have to use vaseline or some other type of release agent so your casting agent won't stick in the mold.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back