Grrr! We're freelancers! Red vs Blue WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so excited to see how this turns out!!!! I can't wait to see how the visor for that helmet comes out. It should be great!!!!! I know you wont disappoint with any of these projects.

I honestly dont think i will stop being amazed at the detail you gals bring out in everything. Keep it up :)

holy smokes. How is this the first time I've seen this thread?! This is INCREDIBLE.

sara that eva helm is fantastic work! can't can't wait to see your whole suit

This is going to be elite worthy once this whole project is done. Nice work!

I honestly dont think i will stop being amazed at the detail you gals bring out in everything. Keep it up :)

:D Thanks guys, might be a bit corny but it means a lot to be able to share the project that I've lived and breathed for months (and a few more to go) and hear such nice things about it, I really appreciate it.

I am so excited to see how this turns out!!!! I can't wait to see how the visor for that helmet comes out. It should be great!!!!! I know you wont disappoint with any of these projects.

Fingers crossed eh? I've been studying up on vac-forming, I'm ready to tackle this thing!

Anyway, small update on the EVA bucket;
I finished the other 'eye' part:

8320484577_b371c959db_c.jpg

Also, as you can see I've covered the whole thing in spot putty to try to smooth it all out perfectly. In reading about vac-forming I've seen people mention that surface imperfections will lead to further impaired vision, so I really need to get it as perfect as possible. No one wants to see Meta getting led aroud by the hand coz he can't see, that's just not META!

To try to get rid of any finger pressure dips in the surface I've been hitting it with a really fine sanding sponge, you can see all the old finger imperfections where the pink blotches are, and I thought I had it smooth! I feels so nice now, almost like glass... not that I sit there and rub it, or carry it around the house with me or anything odd like that, and I DEFINITELY don't suffer from separation anxiety when we're apart...

Anyway it's smooth is what I'm trying to say. It'll get a super-fine wet sand before it gets primer and then sanded again.

More pics:
8320484949_791c72c1f7_c.jpg

8320485273_6e38d854a0_c.jpg

'til next time ;)
Sara

Been following this for abit now, and I have to say the level of detail in this build is just astonishing, keep up the amayzing work here. Epic seems like a lesser word for this build, its more then epic.

That looks so great! Im glad you are going all out for these guys. Its th small details that will make the true fans geek-out haha. And I already am!!!!!! Keep it up!

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll finish this visor soon and have a more substantial update/video to share. I'm still trying to decide what to show, I don't want to just go over the same thing that other, better tutorials (like Cereal's) have already covered.

Its th small details that will make the true fans geek-out haha. And I already am!!!!!! Keep it up!

If Kristian suited up as Meta doesn't manage to startle at least one RvB fan for even half a second, I haven't done my job :p Of all the characters, I'm most looking forward to seeing the Meta come to life.

Thanks everyone :)

Update:

I'm still working on smoothing out the visor, I'm not going to wet sand it until the rest of the helmet is done though. I figure it's going to get a bit knocked around when I sand the rest so I'll just finish sanding off the spot putty and spray a coat of primer to protect it a bit for now. I'm also going to mask of the visor and pad it a bit so it doesn't get hurt too bad.

In the meantime, I needed a break from sanding spot putty so I've laid down a couple of coats of bondo on some of the other faces. I've built up the height on the back piece and mostly rounded off the back/top of the helmet. I've also put down one layer of bondo over the strip that goes over the top of the head. On the weta helmet this is a straight band with rounded edges but to give it a bit more shape I'm going to taper the edges a bit, you can see the beginning of that in the photos.

It's all very rough at this point.

8333195842_7cc88a9826_c.jpg

8333195498_54b1a38381_c.jpg

Honestly I'm feeling a bit defeated by this helmet at the moment, it seems like everything I add looks wrong from at least one angle. I'm worried I'll end up with a sloppy asymmetrical mess. I'll keep pushing forward though, I'm pretty happy with the visor at least, even though it's not without it's issues :/

Honestly I'm feeling a bit defeated by this helmet at the moment, it seems like everything I add looks wrong from at least one angle. I'm worried I'll end up with a sloppy asymmetrical mess. I'll keep pushing forward though, I'm pretty happy with the visor at least, even though it's not without it's issues :/

Well you did chose a pretty damn difficult helmet :p Your skills are amazing and I'm sure you'll get it to meet your standards lol...I'll take it off your hands if your fed up with it ;)

lol I didn't choose it, Kristian did! I'm still liking the helmet, it's just frustrating me a bit. With a build like this it really pays to think ahead and then think ahead some more. Now I've noticed that I may have put the 'eyes' too far over to the sides, when I add the lip around the jaw I'm worried it's going to cover a bit of them up. Grrrrrr....

I could just not add the lip but I really like that detail on the WETA lid, I definitely don't want to re-do the visor though. I might be able to get away with making the lip less deep, I just don't want it to make the visor look silly. What to do, what to do... smh, Oh well.

lol I didn't choose it, Kristian did! I'm still liking the helmet, it's just frustrating me a bit. With a build like this it really pays to think ahead and then think ahead some more. Now I've noticed that I may have put the 'eyes' too far over to the sides, when I add the lip around the jaw I'm worried it's going to cover a bit of them up. Grrrrrr....

I could just not add the lip but I really like that detail on the WETA lid, I definitely don't want to re-do the visor though. I might be able to get away with making the lip less deep, I just don't want it to make the visor look silly. What to do, what to do... smh, Oh well.

First off, Awesome job. Second to none!! :cool

As for the eye placement. . . . I know you don't want to move them with all the hours you have in it at this point. IF worse came to worse and you had to, you can make a template of the eyes since you have the size down and just fill it in and move them up a bit. I'm sure that with where you have them though, you could adjust the lip that you want to add to the jaw line to make it look great. I wouldn't sweat the eye placement right now. Play around with the jaw line you're thinking of using by using card stock or something to see if you can make it work first. Thinking ahead is definitely a great thing when doing these projects, but I wouldn't over think it too much. Sometimes, if you take a couple steps back and a breather, the answer presents itself.

I know that whatever you have to do you'll turn out a great finished product. Keep up the Awesome work!

Aww man! I see what you mean about the lip. You could fill the line of the eye running close to the lip and just carve another one further away. That way you are only changing one small piece rather than the daunting task of making the lip work to fit.
Still, this helmets looking really nice so far Hun.

Tom.

@ drack & Spartan_127 thanks for the encouragement guys :)

I haven't given up just yet :p I took Spartan-127's advice and mocked up the jaw detail, thanks for the tip, it worked out okay and stopped me from having a bit of a melt down lol.

I've been working pretty hard on this helmet since my last update and (I think) I've got a fair bit done on it. To start with I've put down a base on almost all of the surfaces of the helmet. This meant changing the shape of the jaw from being rounded at the bottom so that instead it came down and formed an angle (like the weta) I built up the back of the helmet so that the face around the back is taller now, so I'll have room for the detail that'll live there eventually. The band around the top of the head is nowhere near finished but it's more or less the final shape it's going to be.

And that's just the basic shaping I've done...

Detail wise I weant ahead and added the jaw lip that was the case of my anxiety earlier, I think it looks pretty decent and it's not covering up too much of the visor. The rim around the jaw was on a downward angle anyway so I just built up the lower, outer edge to the height of the higher, inner edge and I didn't lose any visor. Problem solved :) It doesn't show up well in photos but should be more obvious once it's got a coat of primer.

Then I added the small face on top of what I'm calling the 'ears' of the helmet, the boxy parts that form the widest part of the helmet. Earlier this afternoon I started the two rectangular-ish details on the chin of the helmet. One is pretty much finished. Bear in mind that ALL of the body work still needs a lo of work, I was just concentrating on getting certain faces read for detailing. Much of the helmet still needs hole filling, fine sanding, spot putty and more sanding, so don't judge too harshly :p

Photos of the helmet as it looks now:
(click to view larger)

8349265770_2a7ccfcc9a_c.jpg

8349265362_2014e44946_c.jpg

8349265052_3d94e692aa_c.jpg

8348206273_3fc49f07b4_c.jpg

8348207059_7884f64dc1_c.jpg

8348206599_e44dafac46_c.jpg

Sorry I don't have any progress photos to share, I recorded it instead :) I still have to review most of the footage but hopefully I'll be able to edit it together and post a tutorial some time within the next week :)

Cheers
Sara

Your attention to detail is so great! It will make all the difference in the end. The helmet looks amazing!!!! I love everything about it!!!!! I cant wait to see more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back