Hi, here is my first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasimiv11

Here is my quick introduction
I'm single mother of 2 and love to play halo game with my sons and love to make halloween costume for them after looking around the net finally found this site and love what I find so far. It's time for me to start and here they are
photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

and I hope to be able to make whole costume for me and my sons.
please tell me what you think

cheer
sandy

sorry this post above is not under my account (under my friend account) but the next one will be under my account

cheers
sandy

btw: I am no longer have the 2 mc helmets in my avatar because I just sold them to my friends at work to cover the cost of smoothcast.

Wow really good work, if you can build those helmets you can build the whole set of armor, but great job so far

thank you, Me and my sons love papercrafts. I think the hardest part is to detail our helmets and the whole suits
and right now we can't do much of detailing because too cold up here in edmonton. Is there any non toxic detailing stuff that I can use indoor?

thank you, Me and my sons love papercrafts. I think the hardest part is to detail our helmets and the whole suits
and right now we can't do much of detailing because too cold up here in edmonton. Is there any non toxic detailing stuff that I can use indoor?

There are some options you can use but you would have to search the forums, you can use Smooth Cast to harden the paper, Its not as toxic and the smell it creates is nothing like fiberglass resin, you can also use resin when its cold just have to find some way of heating it up, there is a thread on the 405th it explains how to build a hotbox, hope this helps some

Yes, I did use smoothcast 300 to harden my helmets but I couldn't find any thing that work for fine detail on the outside for my eva helmet. I think I saw one thread that someone made very good very detail eva.
I wish I could find that file so I don't have to do much detaling.

thanks you all I will start from the bottom up with eva foam mats that I got from liquidation store.
I'm going to start with jorge suit for my older son (with his help) and then eva for my younger one so I will keep you all posted

cheers
sandy

wow this is very good work we need you a nickname like the crafty moma or something =] welcome to the 405th, if you have any questions just feel free to ask

Thank you for warm welcome from 405th members. I have to go to work soon and tomorrow is my day off so I will start print out boots template for foam build and this is my first time using this foam mats. What should I use to make a clean cut?

Very impressive work you have shown above, I am jealous!

As for a material you can detail with, you may want to try Apoxie Sculpt. I get it here:
http://www.sculpturesupply.com/detail.php?id=236332&sf=searchtext&vl=apoxie+sculpt

But there are a number of retailers selling related products in Alberta (Viking in Edmonton) that may have it or can get it for you.

Again, thanks for sharing your work, very well done.

As for cutting foam, I picked up a utility knife from the dollar store for $1.50, it came with spare blades. It works fine if you lay it against a metal ruler and make one good hard cut.

as for cutting mats i suggest the X-acto brand, especially the one thats black and has the adjustable blade length (sorry cant remember the name) it just doesnt seem to dull.

as for nontoxic detailing, its brittle but multi-compound wall putty sands pretty well

I'm back after work and a couple hours of sleep, I got up and send kids to school and have done all chore now it's time for me to start looking for files and reference pictures and try to finish 2 suits before Halloween and thank you for all your suggestion. I will try to use that and see how it goes.
Wish me luck
Sandy

I just want to say that you rock.

Its funny, I thought the exact same thing.

Great job on everything so far. I will say this: when starting to work with the foam mats, work on something small, that can be easily redone if necessary. Just like with every medium that we work with, there is a learning curve with the foam. Knowing when to make cuts at an angle was the part that really got me at first. It takes some time with the construction, but it is definitely worth not having to go through the smoothing process.

-Matt

I agree with everyone that you've done some good work.

I am a father of 3 and finished 2 MK VIs last year. Now I'm working on 2 sets of ODSTs. I can understand how you feel on working on the costumes. I almost gave up last year because I was so exhausted and feared that I couldn't finish on time for Halloween. I did finsih and received many positives feedback that I decided to continue working on costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back