I'm officially starting my halo armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrin

Well technically I have already started it, but this being my first post on this site, thought I might get some pointers on how it looks so far.

And before I get to the pictures just want to go over the process I'm using to make the complete armor.

First I'm using foam for the base material. Then I'm going to spray coat it with truck bed lining to give it impact durability and remove any small imperfections on the foam. Then I'm going to sand it semi smooth and paint it.

IMG_20121004_011055_zps9b4daee4.jpg

IMG_20121004_011120_zps9e571b82.jpg

This was a pain bec i have long skinny arms, so when i scaled it, my hand couldn't fit through the end, so i had to add a piece to make it wider. But the overall look stayed the same so I'm happy

IMG_20121004_011145_zps2fab1656.jpg

IMG_20121004_011220_zps8aa1bfbf.jpg

The thighs are next to get done. And i only have 3 1/2 weeks to get this and one whole other suit done.

After looking at some of the awesome work that roxyroo did on her foam, I almost feel obsolete. Oh well I learned a few things and tomorrow I'm finishing up my second thigh piece. It's actually coming along faster than i thought. Both arms and starting on the second thigh all in about 3 days.

Update
Had some sizing issues, fixed out now just getting ready to actually start the second one now

IMG_20121006_011849_zps3009d121.jpg

IMG_20121006_011833_zpsd180c2c6.jpg

Ya it looks sloppy now, but when i get sprayed down with the truck bed lining then all the little things will smooth them selves out. And after I've sanded it will have a pitted metal look so i won't have to weather it except by black/brown washing it.

Off to a good start mate. One thing if I may, the section of the actual shin plate could be made out of one piece of foam to minimise the amount of seams. When getting your templates together really make sure you think through the piece on where seams are needed and not needed. This will also save you time cause rather than cutting out 3 bits of foam you would have only needed to cut 1.

Anyways looking forward to seeing how you get on with the build,
Tom.

I thought about making it one piece but by the time i got it cut, i was in a hurry and didn't even look at my notes. The next shin is going to have the three bits just to keep it even now. But on my wife's armor I'll for sure use only one

Btw this is my first build so if anyone has any constructive criticism. PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I do have one more suit to make for my wife and between both i would rather hers be the better one.

I thought about making it one piece but by the time i got it cut, i was in a hurry and didn't even look at my notes. The next shin is going to have the three bits just to keep it even now. But on my wife's armor I'll for sure use only one

Btw this is my first build so if anyone has any constructive criticism. PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I do have one more suit to make for my wife and between both i would rather hers be the better one.

Well as I have a good bit of knowledge in foam building if you have any questions just ask away as I have done a full MC suit (ok I have a boot and undersuit still but that shouldn't take long to get done). The original reason I signed up here was to just show off what I was doing but now it's all about helping others out.

Tom.

Sorry about slow updates. I swear this hasn't become a dead project. I work 2:30 to midnight and only get a few hours after work to REALLY work on my armor. I an how ever almost done with the second shin and the Other thigh. I will post pix once they are done.

Sorry about slow updates. I swear this hasn't become a dead project. I work 2:30 to midnight and only get a few hours after work to REALLY work on my armor. I an how ever almost done with the second shin and the Other thigh. I will post pix once they are done.

I know how you feel about the work hours. I did work 3 pm - 1 am and now I work 9 pm - 7 am. LOL! Those hours aren't conducive to having a lot of time left to work on things when you have other things to do and family to be with. Anyway. . .

It looks like you're off to a good start. Drack pretty much summed up what I would've told you about trying to make larger pieces instead of several small ones when you're dealing with the foam. So I won't beat that dead horse anymore. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more when you able to post something.

Btw i have seen your rouge helmet build and i plan to build that helm out of foam, but my question I'd do you have a link to the visor you got so i can buy one for my helmet?

UMMMM i can see if i can find it again :) if not then maybe i can ship one to you. i bought 5 lol. PM me later :)

EDIT: Here try this link. I just looked up motorcycle visor on amazon and found a silver one. here ya go. http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Chrome...d=1350722458&sr=8-4&keywords=motorcycle+visor

If that doesnt work then let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back