Soft Parts Interesting cooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.
ryno said:
500watts i seriously dont think you need to remove that much heat also were the fin like area on the back of the armour is well large enough to mount most radators.

i also thought of mounting an 80mm fan in each shoulder ridge (on an angle so that it fits ) and venting air down to the back, ive prototyped it and just by the air movement through the vents ive felt notacibly cooler hooking it in with the watercooling you can get very very cold. ive been personally creating my radiator from aluminum fins and a copper pipe system running inside the armour, not the under armour, and i have to say itis a very effective system. ( i use an underarmour which is made of a material similar to a wetsuits except lets heat pass through it , have to look name up)

(

Hey, nothing wrong with over-engineering. Better to have excess capacity than not enough, I say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the 500 watt figure from a research paper about how much heat a person will generate. This was how much heat had to be removed so that divers swimming at an easy pace felt comfortable, so I figured that it would be a good target to shoot for. If I can't hit 500w, any amount of cooling should help make the armor more tolerable. Since I've had heat exhaustion a few times, it's really easy for me to overheat again, so this cooler is fairly important for me to be able to troop in the summer.

Loess said:
I got the 500 watt figure from a research paper about how much heat a person will generate. This was how much heat had to be removed so that divers swimming at an easy pace felt comfortable, so I figured that it would be a good target to shoot for. If I can't hit 500w, any amount of cooling should help make the armor more tolerable. Since I've had heat exhaustion a few times, it's really easy for me to overheat again, so this cooler is fairly important for me to be able to troop in the summer.
ok i see where your going with this and just have too add this
when scuba diving underwater you give off more heat due to the greater heat conduction of water
mostly resulting in getting very cold (im just sad that neither idea can really be justified because they never mentioned a temperature)

I agree with the idea of making a system more powerful if any but i please look at this page http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=448894

Ahh, that thread had some nice info. I think the divers in that study were wearing insulated suits, so that all the heat they generated had to be dealt with by the cooler, but more data is always good. I'm still working at setting up a test rig for determining comfortable water temps, and actual energy output from myself at rest, and eventually walking around. I'll post more of that as it happens.

Loess said:
Ahh, that thread had some nice info. I think the divers in that study were wearing insulated suits, so that all the heat they generated had to be dealt with by the cooler, but more data is always good. I'm still working at setting up a test rig for determining comfortable water temps, and actual energy output from myself at rest, and eventually walking around. I'll post more of that as it happens.

I think that the fact they were wearing insulated suits makes the study that much more relevant. Armour and an undersuit will definitely not allow heat to escape.

Hmmm, now that I've read through that more thoroughly, there are arguments that a person doing light work might only generate ~250 watts and spike to ~500 watts during fairly strenuous work. That makes me think that I should try for ~300w capacity in my eventual prototype. Enough to handle normal trooping, but (hopefully) small enough to fit into the back plate of the armor.

In my cruising the net I came across something interesting on the Natick website. I remember seeing this before, but it didn't mesh until now. It's part of the Future Force Warrior program.
Micro-climate Conditioning Subsystem
The Micro-climate Conditioning Subsystem, built into the Life Critical Layer, is a network of narrow tubing that would provide 100 watts of heating or cooling to the soldier.

Currently, the Future Force Warrior Cooling System (FFW-CS) being developed, circulates chilled water through a special heat-transfer garment. The cooled circulating fluid pulls metabolic heat from the soldier's body and transfers it into the environment through its condenser. The main condenser unit can provide 120 W cooling power in a 95 °F (35 °C) environment, with an average power consumption of 35 W and weight of 3.5 pounds (1.6 kg), excluding the power source. A fully functional demonstration prototype is expected to be exhibited in 2008.

Pretty much right along the lines of what we're talking about.

sorry to bring up an old topic but if anyone has had a lay out design i would love to see it this is very interesting to me since im going to school for heating and ac. i hd thought of creating a sys out out surgical tubing and water but thought it would be to heavy if any one has any input i could post what my blue prints was for any thoughts and tweeking and the idea might only work for odst suits cuz of the back pack

-Blue

You could put a radiator and a pump inside the backpack of the suit and use the shirt to make a compact cooling system for the suit!

I suppose you could make a cheap version of this using household junk. Hot glue a length of pvc tubing to a T-shirt, add small electrical pump from a fishtank, add a reservoir of water (IE half litre bottle of water) and perhaps the cooler from one of those small desktop fridges. Im no electronics genius, but it looks good on paper. Not sure how "cooling" it would be though.

hellfire said:
I suppose you could make a cheap version of this using household junk. Hot glue a length of pvc tubing to a T-shirt, add small electrical pump from a fishtank, add a reservoir of water (IE half litre bottle of water) and perhaps the cooler from one of those small desktop fridges. Im no electronics genius, but it looks good on paper. Not sure how "cooling" it would be though.

The cooler from a desktop frig would be too big and would consume too much power. I would go with a small water cooling radiator that runs on 12v.

and don't forget:

the smaller, the better.

The MJOLNIR Mk VI torso piece can possibly house two cooling systems under the cover of the two exposed conduits on the back, which i beilive are normally meant to be the exhaust valves for the fusion reactor.

i don't mean to rant on, but if you can find a small, but poweful system, and compress it so that it One: won't be visible enough to point out the flaw and Two: can actually be used to the point of cooling off.

...or...

you can always try to build a system tiny enough and suffer from the deductions in your bank.

i've got plenty of these ideas in my head. any questions and i'll do my best to think 'em up, dream 'em up... and possibly watch them fail until i get the idea right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back