Model portfolio (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are really good! Someone referred me here for the SPI forearm because I'm trying to do a build. Is there any way other pieces will be available in the near future? I'm trying to do a build for Lucy B-091. Thanks. :)

wow. soo far you are a modeling god. You are doing a great job, your fixing the gaps where a file is needed...which is greatly appriciated :)

I searched the thread and saw that there was mention of a halo 4 scout helmet but no file. I was wondering if any of that had changed. I would love to see it done so I can build one.

Hey Satchmo, i'm sure you have been asked alot but i will ask on behalf of a lot of people, could you model some Halo 4 Helmets, for eg. RECON ;) ;), hazop, Scout etc. i reckon that quite a lot of people would love whatever helmet that you model next from Halo 4.
i would be happy to attempt to unfold them, and i will definately make foam edited templates of the best unfold, for all the eva foam peoples.
:D

I dont know about the rest of you guys, but i need some H4 oceanic helmet files in my life. I think you may be the man for htis. whatcha think?

Wow i love the concept helmets! im doing my own spin on a few things myself and would love to try one im a noob at this!

I dont know about the rest of you guys, but i need some H4 oceanic helmet files in my life. I think you may be the man for htis. whatcha think?

I think you might need to not be so demanding, direct your attention to the Halo 4 Modelling thread, and actually read the rest of this one while you're at it. Satchmo is taking a break and isn't working on any more requests currently.

That goes for the rest of you too - I'm sure Satchmo appreciates the attention, but it's obvious that work on models has stopped for the time being. Show some respect and don't pester.

I think you might need to not be so demanding, direct your attention to the Halo 4 Modelling thread, and actually read the rest of this one while you're at it. Satchmo is taking a break and isn't working on any more requests currently.

That goes for the rest of you too - I'm sure Satchmo appreciates the attention, but it's obvious that work on models has stopped for the time being. Show some respect and don't pester.

i agree with you, people shouldnt be so demanding. but sometimes people dont read the entirety of a thread. so not to be mean or rude, but cut people some slack (unless their just being rude in the first place)

i agree with you, people shouldnt be so demanding. but sometimes people dont read the entirety of a thread. so not to be mean or rude, but cut people some slack (unless their just being rude in the first place)

Absolutely not. If people can't have the patience to read a thread through from start to finish before asking questions, they're probably ill-equipped for this hobby.

I refuse to cut people slack for laziness and pestering behaviour, and it tests the limits of my tolerance when I see talented modellers swamped by people demanding or requesting files without doing research or taking the time to consider how much work actually goes into each.

Absolutely not. If people can't have the patience to read a thread through from start to finish before asking questions, they're probably ill-equipped for this hobby.

I refuse to cut people slack for laziness and pestering behaviour, and it tests the limits of my tolerance when I see talented modellers swamped by people demanding or requesting files without doing research or taking the time to consider how much work actually goes into each.

@ pagemaster -take a deep breath and exhale, noobs will be noobs
@ all noobs- with regards to asking for pepakura files and models you have to ask nicely and not be demanding, currently satchmo is taking a massive break from the modeling side of things ( what i heard from him) and hes a really nice guy, so dont upset or annoy him with requests, youl know when hes modeling again when he posts the next batch.

jeez i sounded like mod then....

just respect everyone and do unto others as youd done unto you.

@ pagemaster -take a deep breath and exhale, noobs will be noobs
@ all noobs- with regards to asking for pepakura files and models you have to ask nicely and not be demanding, currently satchmo is taking a massive break from the modeling side of things ( what i heard from him) and hes a really nice guy, so dont upset or annoy him with requests, youl know when hes modeling again when he posts the next batch.

jeez i sounded like mod then....

just respect everyone and do unto others as youd done unto you.

I agree with the Croc on this one, seriously everyone, pepakura isn't the ONLY way to make costumes... the little thing called 'scratch-building' and 'sculpting' have existed long before pepakura and will stay long after. And if you still don't want to do either, then try modelling YOURSELVES.... stop thinking modellers are your slaves, they do this because they -WANT- to, not because they owe you any (unless you have paid a commission then they technically do :p ).

p.s. REALLY take a deep breath Paige, your head is going to explode if it doesn't.

-Seth

I agree with the Croc on this one, seriously everyone, pepakura isn't the ONLY way to make costumes... the little thing called 'scratch-building' and 'sculpting' have existed long before pepakura and will stay long after. And if you still don't want to do either, then try modelling YOURSELVES.... stop thinking modellers are your slaves, they do this because they -WANT- to, not because they owe you any (unless you have paid a commission then they technically do :p ).
-Seth

I really didn't want to get involved in this discussion, but I'd just like to reinforce positive treatment of modellers and alternate methods than pep to building. We've already lost several great/amazing modellers due to some reason or another, but a big one is often the treatment of modellers and the (sometimes) demanding nature/tone of (some, but not all) members.

Also, Paige, while I can understand being annoyed at the noobs for not reading all the way through a thread for an answer, especially when it's only a page back, but some of the model threads can be hundreds of pages long (not all, only a few - mostly the main ones). We're only human, except for the bots.

Honour, Armour, Unity.

ADD UPDATE...

It's been quite some time since I've uploaded any work. Halo 4 Warmaster helmet has been added to the beginning of the thread.

I hope everyone's doing well. Thanks all for your continued support.

Halo4helmetwarmasterrefpic_zps651e02f4.jpg

Wow that is really nice man. I may have to make one of these in the future.

I've been wondering when the warmaster was going to be modeled. Great work as always! Now only if we can clone you times a thousand to take care of all of our models :p (jk)

-Seth

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

COMMUNITY REQUEST...

I will be setting aside some time in the next two to three weeks to model the following helmets.

1) Halo 4 helmet operator
2) Halo 4 helmet defender
3) Halo 4 helmet oceanic
4) Halo 4 helmet air assault

I am requesting the help of a scouter (or scouters) to collect reference image source material to assist me in doing this. Since I will be making these models available to everyone once completed I think this is a good opportunity for those members looking for a way to contribute to the community.

I would like to model the helmets in the order identified above but I will skip around based on availability of source material. When I model I typically go through and grab screen-shots myself because screen-shot quality is an important factor toward creating accurate models. Shots that I typically try to grab include the following.

1) Orthographic (straight-on) front
2) Orthographic (straight-on) side
3) Orthographic (straight-on) back
4) Orthographic (straight-on) top
5) Close-up and detail shots at various angles/perspectives

Below are a few notes on how I approach collecting good quality screen-shots. These are the types of best-practices I will be looking for from scouters in order to effectively work up the models.

1) With Halo's theater mode I've found it's best to position the camera further from the character and use the zoom function when taking photos as this cuts down on any perspective issues caused by the camera's proximity to the character.
2) For each of the four orthographic shots (front, side, back, and top) I try to avoid any tilt, pitch, or roll between the camera and a character. I try to keep the distance from the camera to the model the same. These things minimize distorations when later creating a model.
3) In addition to the shots that are straight-on, detail and close-up shots at different angles and perspectives help to get a sense of how things are shaped. It's important to get shots at perspectives that aren't typical so the model is accurate as viewed from all areas. An example would be something like looking up from below...which really helps to make the neck opening and shape the bottom of a helmet.
4) Sometimes character arms, shoulders, weapons, and especially the torso armor's back-fins (for Halo 4) get in the way of good helmet shots. Try to catch a moment where these things aren't in the way by doing things with the character like moving, jumping, sprinting, holding different weapons, and looking in different directions. The lowering weapon ability is also handy in this regard (
).

Interested scouters should upload zipped folders to a file sharing site (like 4shared) and provide me with a link to download (preferably via a private message). I enjoy collaborating with other members and am looking forward to your responses.

As always, four-oh-five, thanks for your interest and support. Keep building.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back