Model portfolio (Satchmo III)

Asgardianhammer

Identity Officer & RCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
Satchmo III I am glad to see you back active on the forum and knocking stuff out. As always your stuff is great as is your commitment to contributions on the forum. I can't begin to tell you how many of your files i have used and referenced over the years!

If you have not already it would be great if you could post these files in the armory discussion threads for each set so we can update the downloads in the future as well.

SPEIGHTY this is some really good stuff to answer your specific unfolding questions!

oh and Art Andrews! Look!

Asgardianhammer

Identity Officer & RCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
ADD UPDATE (SOMETHING A BIT DIFFERENT)...

I came to find the 405th back in 2011. After learning how to use Pepakura Designer and assembling a bunch of paper, I wanted to understand more how these model assets were created. I spent time in Pepakura Designer learning how to unfold and I came upon the free and awesome Blender modeling software with the intent of making and sharing models with the community.

Over the years my time and interest has waxed and waned in this pursuit. I've always enjoyed 3D modeling (even at the beginning when it was a major struggle) and I've actively tried to make simple and straight-forward models to ease the paper assembly process.

My modeling process was largely just to put a bunch of triangles and squares together in a (hopefully) recognizable shape. I think I've done respectably via this process but at the beginning of this year I started to make a concentrated effort to improve and better understand modelling principles, primarily the ideas of edge flow and effective topology, and trying to think through the process more so than just making shapes. I'm still very much an amateur, but I've made some good strides since January.

That said, below are some images and notes for the first high detail helmet model I've put together. I share a 3D-printable STL file below (and at the beginning of the thread).

Earlier this week I worked with the Halo 5 intruder helmet game asset with pepakura in mind. Since it's an asset for a video game, the makers obviously have given no thought to the paper-crafting process. There are instances where polygon faces are way too thin/numerous and certain pieces aren't really connected up (things that don't matter in-game). In order to make the game asset pepakura-friendly, these things needed to be resolved. So I set about simplifying and cleaning up the topology (then made an unfold for Pepakura Designer).

After having done this I was left with a pretty clean model. Now, although the game asset can have overly-complicated structures, certain details are commonly not part of the actual 3D model mesh but are just simulated with normal and diffuse flat images that are laid over the model (which look great in-game). Adding actual mesh info is a lengthy process (for me) but fortunately starting with the clean model I made was very helpful. A simple model makes it easier to add edge loops/cuts from which detail can be added/extruded.

All that said, this is what I cam up with for the intruder (AKA air assault) helmet. Depending on your web-browser, OneDrive (where the link below navigates to) displays an interactive preview of the STL file I'm sharing. For reference, below is a rendered GIF.

Halo 5 helmet intruder 3D print (Satchmo III) 2018-05-26.stl

View attachment 255700

The model is made up of six or eight individual parts (though, those parts get merged together in the STL file). One of the realizations I made this year was to break things into individual parts instead of trying to model entirely of one mesh (which get crazy complicated quickly if you're doing very detailed work). This doesn't work for pepakura, but is fine for things like animation (which I've become interested in) or 3D printing. Below is a few still images from Blender including one that shows the mesh.

View attachment 255701

I have a Lulzbot TAZ5 printer and I wanted to see if the model could be printed. I printed it small but it looks great. Below are some print stats, a time-lapse video of the printer process, and some still images of the completed print.

> Printed dimensions are 50mm (W) x 64mm (D) x 46mm (H).
> Printed with HIPS at 0.22mm layer height.
> Walls are only 0.35mm wide (very thin).
> Time elapsed is 2H 55M.

View attachment 255702

View attachment 255703

View attachment 255704

View attachment 255705

If you've read this far, I thank you for your interest. Let me know if you have any questions or found any of the info-dump above helpful. I'd love to see any air assault projects using either the PDO pepakura model or the STL 3D print model. I wonder if HaloGoddess still checks the forums.

Keep it tight Nobles.
I have not seen HaloGoddess in a very long time. Great Work!!!

Satchmo III

HOUSEKEEPING UPDATE...

Arsenal images at the beginning of the thread have been updated with more colors and a setting (images copied below). I tinkered with simulating detail on the individual models via smooth-shading and surface-subdivision but axed the detail and kept the hard edges...I've worked hard on all those polygons and I didn't want to obscure them too much.

untitled25.png

untitled26.png

Satchmo III I am glad to see you back active on the forum and knocking stuff out. As always your stuff is great as is your commitment to contributions on the forum. I can't begin to tell you how many of your files i have used and referenced over the years!
Thanks for the response Asgard! Happy to hear I've helped. I'll look into the armory business.

SPEIGHTY

405th OBJ Master

If you have not already it would be great if you could post these files in the armory discussion threads for each set so we can update the downloads in the future as well.

SPEIGHTY this is some really good stuff to answer your specific unfolding questions!

oh and Art Andrews! Look!
Thank you Asgardianhammer hope to post some more files soon in the armory discussion, I've had to slow down ATM as I'm back looking after my intellectual Disabled Son.

Satchmo III

WIP UPDATE...

I've been working on a full set of SPI armor on and off for a week or two. I'm not done but I wanted to share some renders of the WIP before I take a break for a bit. Like the helmet I posted a while back the armor set is primarily based on art by Tekka-Croe at deviantart (Semi-Powered Infiltrator). Intent is for pepakura development but once I'm done I may detail it out more. III out.

suit-wip-01-01.png

suit-wip-01-00.png

xtrem1275

WIP UPDATE...

I've been working on a full set of SPI armor on and off for a week or two. I'm not done but I wanted to share some renders of the WIP before I take a break for a bit. Like the helmet I posted a while back the armor set is primarily based on art by Tekka-Croe at deviantart (Semi-Powered Infiltrator). Intent is for pepakura development but once I'm done I may detail it out more. III out.

View attachment 256466

View attachment 256467

Excellent model of the Spi armor, is in .obj format? could you share the model like this?

Satchmo III

WIP UPDATE (SPI armor)...

Thanks for the feedback mkshane81 and xtrem1275!

I spent time this weekend reshaping/refining and am happier with most of the parts. There are a few more things I plan on cleaning up before completing/sharing. For the pepakura release I intend on omitting the buckles and straps (except the main shoulder straps) and the ab/groin plates will be one part that is separate from the rest of the torso.

Below is a turn-table of where the model is as of now. Take care four-oh-five!

SPI-WPI-00-0.05.gif

xtrem1275

WIP UPDATE (SPI armor)...

Thanks for the feedback mkshane81 and xtrem1275!

I spent time this weekend reshaping/refining and am happier with most of the parts. There are a few more things I plan on cleaning up before completing/sharing. For the pepakura release I intend on omitting the buckles and straps (except the main shoulder straps) and the ab/groin plates will be one part that is separate from the rest of the torso.

Below is a turn-table of where the model is as of now. Take care four-oh-five!

View attachment 256694
It looks excellent as it is, I asked if you could share it as is and if you can .obj format because I would like to make a papermodel with your model to do it in 1/6 scale thanks for your prompt reply good afternoon

Satchmo III

ADD UPDATE (SPI ARMOR PEPAKURA)...

I'm pleased to say that I've completed the remaining SPI armor parts along with unfolds. I've been wanting to do this since 2012 when I first made a different version of the SPI forearm. Download links are below and at the beginning of the thread. Please remember to check scaling and modify to suit your needs. I hope to see an SPI build someday!

At the bottom of post I've inserted a rendering emulating a portion of the Ghosts of Onyx book cover with a slightly more detailed version of the armor set.

Halo onyx ab-plates SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window ab-plates.png

Halo onyx bicep SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window bicep.png

Halo onyx butt-plate SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window butt-plate.png

Halo onyx foot-plates SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window foot-plates.png

Halo onyx forearm SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window forearm.png

Halo onyx hip-plate SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window hip-plate.png

Halo onyx knee SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window knee.png

Halo onyx shin SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window shin.png

Halo onyx thigh-left SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window thigh-left.png

Halo onyx thigh-right SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window thigh-right.png

Halo onyx torso SPI-TC (Satchmo III) 2018-07-04.pdo
Pep window torso.png

Keep it tight, Nobles.

suit-wip-02-11.png

Sean Anwalt

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
I've been looking for this thread for a long time! *tears up* I can build me an SPI suit now!... after my Mk V is done.

Asgardianhammer

Identity Officer & RCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
I'm still around. ;) I just dont come here often, but I do have a large following on instagram. Thats where I've been a lot lately. :p
Please come back moreoften. I have been so encouraged by the recent activity of prominent veteran builders returning to the forum! We have so much going on!

Satchmo III

ADD UPDATE (LEGENDS HELMET JOHN PEPAKURA)...

I wanted to have a go at a Master Chief helmet so I dug back into The Package from Halo Legends for reference to make John's Mark-IV bucket. Modifying game assets is cool and all but I like developing models that are not otherwise available. I hope someone out there has been jonesing for this and will attempt assembly...if so good luck!

Legends helmet john (Satchmo III) 2018-09-02.pdo
Legends helmet john pep window.png

Oh my goodness, absolutely killed it buddy!!

-Matt
Thanks Matt, hope your projects are going well.

I've been looking for this thread for a long time! *tears up* I can build me an SPI suit now!... after my Mk V is done.
I had been looking to finish the armor and put it into a thread for long time. Dry those tears and continue forging.

fabulous model since I read onyx ghosts wished to see that armor thank you for the excellent model
Thanks xtrem1275!

I'm still around. ;) I just dont come here often, but I do have a large following on instagram. Thats where I've been a lot lately. :p
Glad you're still around sometimes. Have you built anything recently? Take care!

Satchmo III

ADD UPDATE AND COMMUNITY OPPORTUNITY...

An H5 deadeye helmet model has been uploaded to the beginning of the thread and below. The PDO file (intended for pepakura) hasn't been unfolded yet and I'd like to see if another person wants to work up an unfold for the community. If you'd like to participate please download the file, open it in Pepakura Designer and click the [undo unfold] button to start. Keep in mind that Pepakura Designer only lets you save if you've purchased a key for the full version. When you're done post a link to your unfold in a PM to me or in a post below and I will revise the beginning of the thread with the updated file and credits.

If you're new to unfolding and would like to give it a go, but don't know where to start...you could check out my unfold tutorial or others on youtube. Mine is pert long but it shows the full process for how I perform unfolds.

Thanks in advance four-oh-five!

Halo 5 helmet deadeye asset mod (Satchmo III, XXX) 2018-10-24.pdo
Deadeye pep window.png

Last edited:

Satchmo III

ADD UPDATE AND UNFOLD REQUEST...

Since no one has stepped forward yet to unfold the H5 deadeye helmet there is but one course of action...uploaded to the beginning of the thread and below is an H3 recon helmet that needs an unfold. Are you willing to take on this challenge in order to haz recon? If so, please PM me or post a link to your unfold below and I'll upload it to the beginning of the thread (and share it with the armory). Later Nobles!

Halo 3 helmet recon asset mod (Satchmo III, XXX) 2018-11-04.pdo
Recon pep window.png

whereisdanielle

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
ADD UPDATE (SPI ARMOR PEPAKURA)...

I'm pleased to say that I've completed the remaining SPI armor parts along with unfolds. I've been wanting to do this since 2012 when I first made a different version of the SPI forearm. Download links are below and at the beginning of the thread. Please remember to check scaling and modify to suit your needs. I hope to see an SPI build someday!

At the bottom of post I've inserted a rendering emulating a portion of the Ghosts of Onyx book cover with a slightly more detailed version of the armor set.

View attachment 256918
Any chances you'd think about providing the more detailed files? I'm looking to build SPI super soon, and your files are by far the most useful resource available, however in my own projects I find the more detailed the base file the better. Files with the straps and extra details would be beyond useful even just as a 3D reference.

Having just tackled the iconic ODST
1L2A9384-Edit-Photographer-Bouncelight.jpg pixelflaregfx edit.jpg0EAE48A5-8A50-4D68-8CE0-F975BBD3C58F.jpg IMG_2722.JPG
and also just having read Last Light and Retribution, I'm really hyped to make SPI and hoping to make it the most detailed and accurate costume as I can.

Last edited:

SI3RRA 117

Any chances you'd think about providing the more detailed files? I'm looking to build SPI super soon, and your files are by far the most useful resource available, however in my own projects I find the more detailed the base file the better. Files with the straps and extra details would be beyond useful even just as a 3D reference.

Having just tackled the iconic ODST (See images) and also just having read Last Light and Retribution, I'm really hyped to make SPI and hoping to make it the most detailed and accurate costume as I can.
View attachment 262616 View attachment 262618View attachment 262622 View attachment 262623
I haven’t seen this build anywhere? Where’d this come from? Last thing I saw you build was the red reach set.
This is awesome I’d like to see more.

whereisdanielle

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
I haven’t seen this build anywhere? Where’d this come from? Last thing I saw you build was the red reach set.
This is awesome I’d like to see more.
I've been a bit naughty and not posted anything about the build on here, I did however post a few bits and pieces on facebook and instagram, and you can find me under the same handle on both.I might see about making a retrospective write up however.