1st Build My First Armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
awsome job so far and the rubber neck seal is a great idea more comfort....
Yeah I knew it was going to be a problem before I started. There is a RVB behind the scenes for one of the few live action videos they did where Miles Luna is wearing a suit and said that they had to cut a wider opening to stop it from cutting up his ears.
I think it was for the "Wathog Flip".

IMG_20200718_210859.jpg

Suckit Blue

So, in all seriousness; two lessons from the gelling of the helmet. This resin really does burn you if you even get the smallest amount on you. I got what I would call a 0.5 degree burn on my arm just from a few drops that I rubbed against.
Second: the waterproofing step is really critical. I was about half way through before I realized I had skipped that step, and the resin was soaking into the paper. It held it's shape for the most part, but I had to be very careful with my brush.

Here is a shot of the inside of the helmet after the 5th run of Rondo.
IMG_20200725_164218.jpg

I put a bit of straight Bondo on those little roundlets on the bottom to give me something to carve into rather than depend on the silicone that I'm going to put there. Also put some on the larger holes that I didn't want to clean rondo spills out of.

And I thought, what the hell, why not show the back of those roundlets.
IMG_20200725_164752.jpg

It's absolutely hideous, but I also did it blind, so...

Also, I ran a super-liquidy mixture up into the "bill" of the helmet to get into all those little details and under the supports. I plan on going back over that with a thicker mix to get the strength up

Maybe a noob question but what is the gelling process? What are you gelling with?
"Gelling" is technically the layer of resin put down when applying fiberglass. You put down an initial layer of resin to get into all the small spaces before putting the resin-soaked pieces of fiberglass on top of it and then smoothing out the air pockets.

Here, I'm applying the same resin on the outside and letting it completely cure. I'm probably the only person who refers to this as a gel layer, but it's essentially the same thing, just without the reinforcement of fiberglass

Gotcha. I had never heard it referred to as gelling. In that case what do u generally use to "waterproof" the paper? U mentioned that in an above post.

My confusion is bc after I fold me paper, I apply layers of resin to it to harden it. Then resin soaked fiberglass inside for strength, rondo over that and Bondo outside. So, based on my experience, it sounds like the waterproof step and the gelling step are the same... Again I'm pretty new so just confused...

Gotcha. I had never heard it referred to as gelling. In that case what do u generally use to "waterproof" the paper? U mentioned that in an above post.

My confusion is bc after I fold me paper, I apply layers of resin to it to harden it. Then resin soaked fiberglass inside for strength, rondo over that and Bondo outside. So, based on my experience, it sounds like the waterproof step and the gelling step are the same... Again I'm pretty new so just confused...
The waterproofing is a separate step. I normally just use clear spray paint, the exact brand I use is in one of the pictures.
You should not be using fiberglass AND Bondo in a build, one or the other will work fine and be lighter and cheaper. The fiberglass route is not something for a new maker, as if you do it wrong, you wind up with a bunch of bubbles and gaps in your armor, which make it super fragile

The waterproofing is a separate step. I normally just use clear spray paint, the exact brand I use is in one of the pictures.
You should not be using fiberglass AND Bondo in a build, one or the other will work fine and be lighter and cheaper. The fiberglass route is not something for a new maker, as if you do it wrong, you wind up with a bunch of bubbles and gaps in your armor, which make it super fragile
Interesting. Most of what I read indicated that both is a good way to go to make it strong. The heaviness is a valid point but I feel like armor should b a little heavy (probably something I will regret about 1 hour into my first con). Thanks for the info. It would certainly go faster if I didn't do both fiberglass and Bondo...

@False Shepherd, using a bit of Bondo on the outside to clean up the shape is fine. When I first read your comment, I thought you were pouring Rondo over the fiberglass, which is unnecessary.

@False Shepherd, using a bit of Bondo on the outside to clean up the shape is fine. When I first read your comment, I thought you were pouring Rondo over the fiberglass, which is unnecessary.
I have been. Mostly to contain pokeys from the fiberglass. But your point is well taken that it's probably not needed for strength. So rondo would be good for reinforcing inside if I skipped the fiberglass?

@FalseShepard, yeah, the Rondo is plenty strong. It's about the same strength as fiberglass, but is quite a bit heavier. Rondo also has a tendency to crack more on impact rather than just punch through, but the gel layer and paper skeleton do help hold it together.

So here is everything on the suit so far (except for the right forearm).
IMG_20200806_130116.jpg

Due to the hurricane and subsequent storms, I haven't been able to go out and do any more Rondoing. I have removed the supports in the neck of the Helmet as well as some of the neck ring structure, which I am planning to replace with foam rather than rubber coated with resin.
15967335507267067004959893329034.jpg

I'm also planning on refolding most of the boots to try and get a better fit between the back two pieces.
15967337614297343097365480049838.jpg

Essentially folding them as one unit, hardening everything but the joint between them, and cutting them separate. It's unfortunate that I got this far before deciding to double back, as I actually ran completely out of that first can of resin. Fortunately, I bought an industrial size one awhile back

Furthermore, if you are building a helmet this way, I recommend making this back piece out of rubber or something else flexible, as it does get in the way of doning the helmet.
You could always make it our of foam.....it will give it the flex needed or you could go fancy. Make the piece detachable with magnets. It would keep the same rigidity, but ease of putting it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back