My hand at ODST build. Codename: [Daisy] Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODST 21

Ok guys and gals of the 405th this is my latest attempt at an armor build after some drunk roommates destroyed my cqb helm.(long story) I decided to start an ODST helm for my niece, So I started off with Rundowns pep file and have gotten the fiber glassing all done. I now seem to be stuck on the bondo faze I just can't seem to get the detailing down to were I like it. So any tips from all you pro's out there would be greatly appreciated.

Picture Time
DSCF7804.jpg

DSCF7805.jpg
DSCF7806.jpg
DSCF7807.jpg

DSCF7808.jpg

So thats where im at its still not close to done but its on its way.
Heres a couple of spots i got a little crazy with the dremel
DSCF7810.jpg

DSCF7811.jpg
DSCF7811.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

To me it looks as if you are going a bit too hard with the dremel and causing those curvy lines on the edges. I'd try to use a flatter sander like a mouse sander and go at the edges, like the visor area and areas you were previously dremeling on with low grit sandpaper instead of a tool. I my personal opinion the only real places that need more than minor touch ups are the back area shown in your last pic and the area around the visor. Good luck! Coming along really nice so far.

I should also add, that I am nowhere near pro but I do have lots of experience sanding stuff with dremels and sanders so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents in case it helped ya out. ;)

Its looking pretty nice! Theres a few spots that could use a little more touch up with spot putty or whatever you choose to use. But overall, it looks good! Also, what do you plan on using for your visor? Will you vacuform it, or try some other method? Just curious.

thanks for the tips and comments guys. Yeah I don't care for the dremel i'm using so im going at it now with good old fashioned elbow grease with sand paper. I still need to get spot putty not sure were to get it from tho. Not sure on the visor I have no clue how to vacuum form but I may try that.

Not sure on the visor I have no clue how to vacuum form but I may try that.

Theres some really good videos ive seen on it, I cant remember who theyre by, but just search "make a vacuformer" on youtube and you should find some good stuff.

http://youtu.be/hGBRiYhxRTM

I found this one to be useful, it just doesn't cover how to make the table but you can find other videos on that..

Your helmet seems to be coming along great but like others before me have said, could use a little more work and touch ups. Hope to see this finished and keep up the good work :)

Thank you Spektrum for the Info seeing how easy that was deffinently makes me feel more confident about making one. I just have to see if HobbyLobby has sheets of plastic. Update on the helm I've done a lot more sanding to the ear areas on both sides and shot a light coat of dark primer on there to see the imperfections a little better. that and I got a gallon of bondo from my work (good ol' Harbor Freight... Oh how its made this build cheaper) so I can get some more of the peices ready to go.

I highly recommend a vacuum former, they're cheap and easy to make, and can give great results.

This is the video I followed. It shows how to make the table and everything.

Also, if you saved the cut out from the visor, you can just use that to make the mold, just make sure its really smooth.

yeah I've still got the visor I just need to do some work on it to get it smooth enough for my liking, I deffinently plan on going the vacuum former route. If I will probably be molding the helm when I'm done and keep the master for myself because I don't think my niece would want to wear this heavy behemoth for very long.

Sorry for the double post, but I've been busting my butt and working some late hours on adding detail, I did a lot of work on the right ear section and the top right of the visor. let me know what you guys think.
First is the left side were I did some minor guide lines to work from and you can see how rounded the whole section is.
DSCF8016.jpg

And now the right side
DSCF8011.jpg

I know that its not quite game accurate with how flat it looks and doesn't blend into the top But I'm really pleased with how it looks I plan on doing the other side the same. Let me know what you all think.
DSCF8012.jpg

and a shot with primer to see if I have anymore major flaws in the area.
DSCF8020.jpg

Its still not perfect, and I still plan on giving it alot of TLC. I just wanted to get some opinions on the top section of the ear. Its deffinently different. Just not sure if its the bad sort
Stay tuned... More Updates soon

looks good so far if u need any idea's check out my build. its in my SIG. but glad we need even more and more ODST in our ranks........

yeah. you were able to clean that helm up quite nicely.
while a dremel is good for small craxks, it can be quite hard for some bigger areas, so try to get a snding block or a mouse sander

Thanks spartan005 Your odst is looking amazing, and thank you 0235 I've put the dremel on the back burner and have been going at by hand and to easily etch on detail lines I picked up a nifty little electric engraver from my work. its about the size of a sharpie and really light so it makes it really easy to control. Progress is on hold for a couple of days since I have to help my dad move. But I'll be back at it soon.

Not much of an update yet but good news none the less. I did a bunch of shopping today. got my order of magic sculpt on the way. bought the plastic to make a few visors. and the hardware to mount them. still doing alot of smoothing and sanding. I talked a guy at my work into doing some airbrushing on it when its done. I'll post picks once I've got more substantial progress made. also drew up my own image for an odst platoon patch that I plan on putting on the back of the bucket. Thats all for now. And thanks for everyones support on this build its really motivated me to keep at it. Keep building 405th

Wow your helmet reminds my a lot of my first helmet. You used rundowns helmet file right? LOL its what I used my first time too before I ended up modeling on whole new HD Pep file for it. LOL I left if pretty much at the stage your at, before moving on to my new model. LOL Good look though. I hope you have a palm sander it will save you a lot of time. LOL Keep up the good work.

yeah Kirrou I used rundowns file. I have a palm sander and picked up a black and decker mouse at a flee market for 5 bucks and it ended up not working. But for all the small detail I just go at by hand. Your Odst build looks great. I've got big plans for this one but alot of work still to be done.
Here is what I drew up to go on the back of the helmet its about 2 inches tall about 1-1/2 wide. the top banner I was thinking of putting in " FEET FIRST " let me know what you guys think.
DSCF8152.jpg

and a pic of the visor, I still have a couple of spots that need touched up but very minor so I figured I'd go ahead and share. I'll be waiting on my magic sculpt before I can finish the visor.
DSCF8154.jpg

I am impressed ! Keep it up and you will have a nice, clean, smooth helmet! Great work!

Jacob

Thank you Thorn and Jbetts for your compliments, I've been pretty busy but I managed to get some work done. I managed to get the front nearly completed. just some minor touch ups left. I ended up making a dam across the area of detail and added the bondo to create the raised area,and used my micro engraver to do the details. I'm pleased with the out come. Let me know what you guys think.
DSCF8450.jpg
DSCF8447.jpg

My magic sculpt arrived so I was going to do some work on the visor. when I put the visor in the opening however There are some very large gaps were I assume I cut in the early stages with the dremel. I plan on using the magic sculpt on this area to make it right... but we'll see how it goes. Heres a pic of what I'm talking about.
DSCF8440.jpg

DSCF8442.jpg

DSCF8441.jpg

more to come 405th. Keep up all the good work out there. :cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back