Occupy Houston Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

project003

tomorrow, (Monday, October 17th) me and a friend are going to document the historic "Occupy Houston" protests here in the City of Houston. I will post the video when it has been fully edited and ready to be uploaded. In the mean time, discuss your thoughts on the matter.

wish me luck!

no, the Occupy wall street protests are not affiliated with the Tea Party in anyway, this video should help what "we the people" of the Occupy Houston protests want in demand...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll aid in this thread. Some of the camps across the US are being broken up, I'm not sure what their legal reasoning's are but like the Cincinnati one they are going to court to do it. In my opinion this movement is good but with the addition of specific groups of people causing confusion it isn't getting that far.

no, the Occupy wall street protests are not affiliated with the Tea Party in anyway, this video should help what "we the people" of the Occupy Houston protests want in demand...
Flea Party, dude. Not Tea Party.

I'll aid in this thread. Some of the camps across the US are being broken up, I'm not sure what their legal reasoning's are but like the Cincinnati one they are going to court to do it. In my opinion this movement is good but with the addition of specific groups of people causing confusion it isn't getting that far.
Without turning this into a flame war, convince me why I should support this movement. What are its goals and how will it help the country? Sell me on the idea of the Occupy "Insert Random City" a.k.a. the Flea movement.

Without turning this into a flame war, convince me why I should support this movement. What are its goals and how will it help the country? Sell me on the idea of the Occupy "Insert Random City" a.k.a. the Flea movement.

Dude, that's a question that most of the protesters can't even answer for you.... I saw this interview with a Wall Street billionaire today where he mingled with the crowd, none of them knew who he was, asking questions about their protesting and he said most of them didn't know lol

It started out as a movement to get rid of corporate greed, but with the addition of all these different types of people it's become harder to understand unless you've been following it. The way the corporations can affect our government and economy is to much. You know some of them have had to do the "I'll scratch a politicians back so you scratch my back later" deal.

*Shakes head in disbelief* I see a bunch of "occupy" fools who didn't pay attention in Economics or History class. And please don't insult my intelligence with Kieth Olbermans mindless dribble.
What's interesting about history is that history is also predicts the future (you all know the old saying: Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.) Something big is happening right now and it isn't a bunch of idiotic protesters vainly trying to change the goverment's or corporations view. This is something that's been going on for the last eighty years and it's finally reached a climax. We are on the edge of a blade and the course of the next year will determine if we are royally screwed or not. Hopefully not, I still have big plans to visit B.C.

*Shakes head in disbelief* I see a bunch of "occupy" fools who didn't pay attention in Economics or History class...

I am with you. I don't intend to start a flame war, but to express my opinion. First off, as a disclosure, I work for one of the big banks but I can tell you I don't make that kind of money that the protestors think I make. I could hardly pay my bills as is. All employees in my company are working our ass off just to earn a few bucks. Granted that some of the execs may earn in the millions, but that could be 2 percent of the entire company.

Second, I was involved in a grassroot activity in my community. I spent almost 2 years organizing, protesting for a cause. The community I was involved in is a small neighborhood in NY. I can tell you that the effort was fruitless. 10 years later, nothing has changed. My only regret was I should never have gotten myself involved. I could use those 2 years doing something better for myself. Perhaps an internship or volunteer in a community to make a better life for everyone.

Third, if you take a mic and ask the protestors in OWS. I can bet half of them are there because they don't have a job and lost everything in the economy. They have credit card debt (blame the bank) and their unemployment have ran out and they are looking for someone to blame. With that in mind, I don't believe they have a unified goal.

If these people have gone to college and learn micro and macro-economics, they would have understand that protest like this is unlikely to change anything. While they are protesting, billions of dollars had changed hands beneath their feet. The Donald Trumps and Warren Buffets of the world or smiling and said "whatever".

Third, if you take a mic and ask the protestors in OWS. I can bet half of them are there because they don't have a job and lost everything in the economy. They have credit card debt (blame the bank) and their unemployment have ran out and they are looking for someone to blame. With that in mind, I don't believe they have a unified goal.

If these people have gone to college and learn micro and macro-economics, they would have understand that protest like this is unlikely to change anything. While they are protesting, billions of dollars had changed hands beneath their feet. The Donald Trumps and Warren Buffets of the world or smiling and said "whatever".

I agree whole-heartedly. I don't want to start a flame war, and these topics are typically good at developing into that. That being said, to go along with what you stated above:

Most of the people DO NOT have any idea why they are there, other than to say that it is unfair for "rich people to be rich, and poor people to be poor". They agree to a whole new level about "redistribution of wealth". What they don't understand, is that this already taking place, with us taxpayers paying for their unemployment benefits for them to stand there and complain that they aren't getting enough.

To go along with them going to college: I've heard some of them complain of that being another reason for them to protest, "college education should be free to anyone eligible". Correct me if I'm wrong, but it already is.......it's called a scholarship.

I don't agree one bit with what these people are trying to accomplish, or demand for that matter, but as a supporter of the constitution, they really do have the right to do this without question, as long as it is in a unified, civilized manner. Just my 2 cents anyway.

-Matt

I normally don’t get involved in these sorts of discussions, because it really only leads to one thing. Flame wars…lol. With that said, this is getting a little one sided. If you truly believe that the people down there or the people supporting this movement have no idea why they are even there/supporting it, then you really haven’t been paying attention.

I believe their message is clear. They are fed up and tired of the politicians being in bed with the corporations or the super rich. This leads to bad Policy. They are Fed up with the big bailouts for Wall Street. While Washington was writing checks to the big banks, the big banks were foreclosing on Main Street. How’s that fair?

You may disagree, but it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to see the signs. When a company can basically pay off a politician to get tax code changed in their favor, or special subsidies for their industry, then things are wrong. People complain day in and day out about poor people receiving welfare checks, but you rarely here people complain about the checks corporations receive in the form of subsidies or tax breaks.

The bottom line, without some sort of significant change the top 1% will continue to garner more and more of the nation’s wealth and the gap between the poor and rich will continue to grow. This gap has been allowed to grow unchecked for long enough due to bad policy (Written by bought & paid for politicians) and will eventually lead to bad things for the nation. When the American dream is gone, what do you have to work towards?

-Tony

Here is a solution. Let's take this discussion out of 405th. Let's focus on armor building.

With that being said, please don't respond to this thread or flames will fly.

I normally don’t get involved in these sorts of discussions, because it really only leads to one thing. Flame wars…lol. With that said, this is getting a little one sided. If you truly believe that the people down there or the people supporting this movement have no idea why they are even there/supporting it, then you really haven’t been paying attention.

I believe their message is clear. They are fed up and tired of the politicians being in bed with the corporations or the super rich. This leads to bad Policy. They are Fed up with the big bailouts for Wall Street. While Washington was writing checks to the big banks, the big banks were foreclosing on Main Street. How’s that fair?

You may disagree, but it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to see the signs. When a company can basically pay off a politician to get tax code changed in their favor, or special subsidies for their industry, then things are wrong. People complain day in and day out about poor people receiving welfare checks, but you rarely here people complain about the checks corporations receive in the form of subsidies or tax breaks.

The bottom line, without some sort of significant change the top 1% will continue to garner more and more of the nation’s wealth and the gap between the poor and rich will continue to grow. This gap has been allowed to grow unchecked for long enough due to bad policy (Written by bought & paid for politicians) and will eventually lead to bad things for the nation. When the American dream is gone, what do you have to work towards?

-Tony

It's like I'm right there in the MSNBC news studio

It's like I'm right there in the MSNBC news studio

Nice, thats why we can't have a discussion about serious issues. It always turns to this. It's sad really, we should be able to come together and meet in the middle and move this country forward.

-Tony

P.S. I'm a Financial Analyst & Certified Public Accountant, I work in the Financial Service Industry for one of the largest Financial Service firms in the south. Just saying.

Nice, thats why we can't have a discussion about serious issues. It always turns to this. It's sad really, we should be able to come together and meet in the middle and move this country forward.

We can make this happen if we are one state one country nation, like Singapore. We are talking US, made up of 312,466,808 (last census count), bi-partisan party system, 50 states, gazilion local governments. Not going to happen. Being a so-called "capitalist" country, everyone is in for itself.

Ahh, here's where everyone is forgetting thier history. First of all, the US Federal Goverment is NOT the supreme power of the land. The states administer to the peoples needs, not the Fed Gov.
The problem we have now is check and balances isn't working, and we have a bloated goverment thats becoming centralized. The Federal goverment is making decisions for the whole country, instead of the states who represent the people and the decisions they want. Oh yes, there are a lot of corporations in bed with the feds, this is where check and balances corrects this problem. Also, isn't monopolies illegal? A lot of these big business are just that. Where are the states and fed gov to correct this problem? They're in bed with these corporations. Once again, check and balance.
Years ago people were freaking out because these businesses that were too big to fail were failing because they mismanaged thier money. What would've happened if they did? Other, smaller, businesses would've stepped in to fill the demand. That's the beauty of capitalism, these problems will correct themselves without the goverments help.
In a nutshell, to fix these problems isn't to punsih wall street, nor the rich and big corporations, it's to reduce the fed gov to it's normal operating size and restore check and balance, from there the problems will begin to correct themselves. No amount of stimulus money or tax increases will fix this. Stimulus money usually finds it's way back into politicians pockets and higher taxes is more money for the goverment to squander.

@ Brandon
British Colombia all the way, man. Alberta is just way too flat for me. I'd go crazy there, or develope some kind of horizon related phobia.

JMnV8.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back