Project Odst!

Status
Not open for further replies.
EvilDorito said:
Im finished with the torso and most of the front chest peices...Where can I find the elmers fiberglass resin???

walmart! isnt it where everything is. in NZ we have the Warehouse©.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your pepping looks good! just take your time with the helm... It's the most visable and recognizable piece

Thanks, I already finnished the helm. And trust me, I will make sure the helmet will look almost as good as one of rube's or link's.

Im finished with the torso and most of the front chest peices...Where can I find the elmers fiberglass resin

I got mine at Lowes.

I suggest that you get your respirator first if you haven't already.

I just bought everything today and it cost me a good 56 big ones not to mention I now have a small crush on one of the cashier chicks lol (gonna be going back real soon lolz).

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

Hello.

I have a new update.

The Battle Rifle build has begun!!!

I have finnished the clip and two layers out of eight for the BR.

Photo042.jpg

Enjoy the pic and be ready for more updates to come.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

I have a question.

Do I cut out the visor before or after resining it of after the fiber glass stage. I ask this because I already resined it and planning to add 2 more coats as well as the cloth today. If I do have to cut it out, what whould be great to use to do so?

The only good thing I have to cut stuff is my jigsaw saw and a switch blade(I think thats what you call it, not sure).

Any help would be hot.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

P.S. I'll try to get some pics later on 2 day if I can.

I suggest cutting out the visor now before the resin gets too thick to cut through. Use a Xacto knife or a wallpaper knife to cut the visor out.

Second option is to resin the helmet with another layer, but you don't resin the visor. That way the helmet will become sturdier and you won't have to worry about warping when the visor is not there. After the second layer has dried, cut the visor out with the Xacto/wallpaper knife.

A good way to do it is to leave the visor in while you fiberglass, just don't put any resin or glass on the visor. A dremel, razor knife, or X-acto all work well to cut out the visor.

Loess said:
A good way to do it is to leave the visor in while you fiberglass, just don't put any resin or glass on the visor. A dremel, razor knife, or X-acto all work well to cut out the visor.

Actually adding resinto the visor adds more structure and strength then having a piece of cArdstock that can bend and warp your piece already

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
Actually adding resinto the visor adds more structure and strength then having a piece of cArdstock that can bend and warp your piece already

But from what I understand, he does not have a dremel to cut out the visor. So he just needs to resin the helmet once more to give it enough strength so he can remove the visor.

Also, you don't need to fiberglass the entire helmet at once, mix small batches of resin and fiberglass small sections at a time and let it cure. Less resin needed to fiberglass = Less weight = No warping.

Well I saw this dremmel at Lowes for about $40. Going to have to get that so I can cut it out my visor.

I'll give my visor 1 more coat for stability and give the helmet 1 or 2 more coats, that way its sturdier when I glass it.

Thanks!!

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

P.S. Going to post a pic of my completed thigh peice later on today.

ACDCrockr209 said:
Well I saw this dremmel at Lowes for about $40. Going to have to get that so I can cut it out my visor.

I'll give my visor 1 more coat for stability and give the helmet 1 or 2 more coats, that way its sturdier when I glass it.

Thanks!!

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

P.S. Going to post a pic of my completed thigh peice later on today.

sounds good

A quick suggestion regarding the helmet visor. If you're planning on making a helmet as good as rube's or link's, you're going to want to vaccuform your visor. Assuming this is what you want to do, you could fiberglass the inside of the visor, making it very strong, then cut it out with a dremel (if you get one). Then, you could use that cutout to bondo over and get to the right shape, then use that to form the plastic over in a vaccuformer.
I'm working on my ODST suit and that's how I plan on doing my visor, but I've got a long way before I'm to that stage since I'm working from the feet up.
Anyway, just a suggestion. Can't wait to see more.

A quick suggestion regarding the helmet visor. If you're planning on making a helmet as good as rube's or link's, you're going to want to vaccuform your visor. Assuming this is what you want to do, you could fiberglass the inside of the visor, making it very strong, then cut it out with a dremel (if you get one). Then, you could use that cutout to bondo over and get to the right shape, then use that to form the plastic over in a vaccuformer.
I'm working on my ODST suit and that's how I plan on doing my visor, but I've got a long way before I'm to that stage since I'm working from the feet up.
Anyway, just a suggestion.

I don't plan on vaccuform my visor. I plan I buying one from rube or link but right now, it isn't that important.

Lookin' good! can't wait to see the finished suit!

Thanks! I am trying to get a wearable suit to the Halo 3: ODST launch so I have to speed it up a bit to reach my goal.

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

Hey guys I just wanted to bump this abit.

I haven't posted any update cause its been a miserable 2 weeks. My grandfather died so I didn't feel like building armor at all for those two weeks. I'm going to try to get the torso done so I can show you all some pics but who knows when that will be.

Your Friend,

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.... :( ....I hope nothing but the best for you and yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back