Rosh's odst build wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosh

Rosh's odst build wip. UPDATE! pics on page 3!

2010-09-08_22-03-01_521.jpg

I have been working on this build for some time now, might s well post some pics . The helm is kirrous odst and is probably at about 65% complete currently. Nothing like knowing the guy making your models to motivate you to get moving. If you haven't checked out his work, seek out his 3d model thread. More pics!
2010-09-08_22-03-11_882.jpg

2010-09-08_22-03-33_328.jpg

Wow man this is looking pretty sweet. I Am about 70% done with my new pep. I really want to see what you come up with using the mat foam though. Great work Rosh

Rushed finish for the reach release, not done yet, but much closer. Here we go.

2010-09-13_23-40-28_447.jpg

2010-09-13_23-33-14_927.jpg

2010-09-14_11-03-13_141.jpg

The last one is me and kirrou, we both finished in a marathon build and went to a lame best buy release. I still have a lot of work to do, but there's the basic paintjob at least.

The release may have been lame, but the helmets aren't those are awesome! I'm currently pepping one of Kirrou's helmets also, with his FLIPPING SICK!!!!! forearms after that. Good work, guys, those helmets look awesome. two thumbs way up!

Looks really sweet Rosh. Just have to add the last few details and you'll be %100. Any word on any of the other pieces of the armor?

havent made any progress this week, wont be able to even get started on anything until monday at the soonest. my sean bradley visor showed up and poses the same cahllenges to fit into my helmet as the custom ones we made. it's very high quality however, and will look great once its fitted in there, but it will take some doing to make it fit.

i also thought of another way to make the plexiglass ones like we did, but with a single piece instead of double. i'll show you soon.

Built my torso armor, learning how to work with eva foam so I'm not totally happy with it, but I'm learning and on a strict time and monetary budget. Incoming pics.

2010-09-26_23-35-48_247.jpg

2010-09-26_23-36-34_452.jpg

Now that I'm posting pics I can tell that I need better pics. The harness needs to be dyed something other than yellow, but I like the look of it overall. Comments and critiques are welcome as always.
092710003524.jpg

This is looking amazing Rosh! You are nailing the proportions for sure.

I really can't say anything until there's more to see, obviously. But this is great.

If you don't mind me asking, in regards to that EVA foam you are using; is that the kind that snaps together? Like floor matting? How about the light gray part, is that just the backside of the patterned foam?

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this.

*steals pics for video*

NICE! that looks great! Soooo~ what did you learn? Got any tips for us? :D

HOLY CRAP. Thats so awesome rosh. Its looks freaking amazing. I want to see it in person! That EVA foam is working out great.

My tips would be, use scrap to practice your dremel skills until you are an expert. Only then make cuts on your piece. Next, finish your edges before you join them. I have some untested ideas regarding rubber cement over hot glue. I think joining edges before heat forming is the way to go, but I imagine hour glue wouldn't hold up to such abuse. Having a duct tape dummy is a must. This foam is incredibly workable when heated and will conform perfectly to your own body type when heated. Always use sharp blades when cutting this stuff or you will regret it. My biggest sin, as always, is moving Too fast. Take your time and do your layout, develop your plan, them make your cuts.

And yea hugh, this is the foam floor mats from harbor freight. I'd like to get ahold of the thinner gauge mats that I've heard walmart sells, but so far I can't find any. The light grey parts are just the side that's not rubberized. I'll have more to show the group when I get home from work on wednesday. Thanks for the kind words guts, its a huge motivation.

And yea hugh, this is the foam floor mats from harbor freight. I'd like to get ahold of the thinner gauge mats that I've heard walmart sells, but so far I can't find any. The light grey parts are just the side that's not rubberized. I'll have more to show the group when I get home from work on wednesday. Thanks for the kind words guts, its a huge motivation.

Very cool man, and thanks for the info.

Are you just doing a rough guess when doing the patterns for these parts?

I'm wondering if duplicating faces on a 3d model and flattening them out will give you a nice template to cut from. I think that would make layering your work quicker and easier maybe? I haven't worked with EVA foam personally, but it seems like most of the artists using it for costuming are just kind of guessing shapes as they go.

Thanks again and good luck!

I really am just guessing. I make my layout with masking tape on n my duct tape dummy and then transfer it to the foam. I am not working near enough to my reference photos, so I have a strange feeling il re do this after halloween. Just starting on the forearms using kirrous files as a reference. The rough plan so far is to use the pep as the pattern. We will see how this turns out though.

2010-10-06_12-52-43_974.jpg

Got one gauntlet done, now on to the next! Still learning the process but getting better.

Rosh you are making so much progress. This looks amazing. I really need to get my butt into gear and catch up to you man. Wow great work.

already got the other gauntlet done too. The second one went much faster than the first. Next step is the shoulders using your peps as the template. The chest and center plate are out in my garage waiting for bondo currently too. Making progress fast, I love this foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back