TurboCharizard's Halo Reach CQB Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's bad when the Halo builds are starting to seem like side projects. Here's some new goodies!

Who here remembers what was going on way back in that first post? Honest answers only! There's been one major piece missing from my armour somewhere in this area.
Capture.PNG

A few things have changed slightly with the build such as visor colour but I want me my Tactical Bracer! Reference photos for it in relatively high definition were rather hard to come by but thankfully with the powers of Google Image Search there was an HD screenshot of the punching animation which I'd never have been able to snag easily on my own. The First Person arms are higher definition than the if you look at another players model so using a few different images I was able to piece together a fairly close approximation to the wrist mounted computer.
Tac_Pad.png

When building the original left gauntlet I left a convenient flat section to mount the bracer to at some later point and that time is now(ish). The TacPad is a flat mounting plate which pressure fits into the cover and has recesses for eight 5mm diameter 2mm depth N35 magnets. There is two transparent covers for the green indicators and four button posts to extend to the internal electronics.
Tactical Bracer v4.png

Everything was printed using a mix of eSun PLA+ from filaments.ca between the two printers for the body pieces and and Spool3D Transparent PLA for the diffusers. Inside the TacPad is a FN-BC04-TB MP3 board, four momentary switches to act as triggers and a EBL 6F22 9V rechargeable battery. Also powered by this battery will be two 5mm green LEDs for the indicators and two 5mm blue LEDs for the display panel back light.
Untitled.png DSC_1419.JPG DSC_1420.JPG DSC_1421.JPG

Once everything is painted and wired up I'll post a video of the silly sound effects in action. If you go back into the depths of this thread there's hints to at least one of them. Happy hunting!

I'm currently working on a few different projects so things being finished up is a bit of a pipeline process meaning that you'll likely get a whole whack of posts once paint gets slapped down on all the shiny new parts. Anyone who is paying attention to my Instagram knows how much hype I've had for one very shiny new part and I can't wait for that novella of a post in the near future.

That is absolutely awesome! Is that a model of your own creation? I've hoped that someone would make a print-ready TacPad for looong time!

-Matt

That is absolutely awesome! Is that a model of your own creation? I've hoped that someone would make a print-ready TacPad for looong time!

-Matt

Yessir, everything printed in this thread aside from the M6G is personally designed. The M6G was a Thingiverse find that was a very simple print.

You know, it would be cool if somebody just took their smartphone and mounted it into their wrist guard. But you would need touch screen gloves.

[REQUIRED LISTENING WHILE READING THIS POST]

I was wanting to hold off on this post for a little while but
maxresdefault.jpg

This project has been taking the long road due to commission work but I'm on the home stretch with the prototype/proof of concept M45 Tactical Shotgun which I'll be taking around to conventions with me because I love it so much and I've been waiting for almost four months to have it at a stage where I can hold it all in one piece. That post was more about making something digital that looked pretty, let's get physical. I apologize if you combined that with the Warthog music but lol.

This shotgun may have been the excuse to justify getting a Tevo Tornado. Because of basic math a 300mm x 300mm bed just narrowly fits a 420mm long printed part across the diagonal. I could have broken the shotgun into more pieces but 15 rather large pieces plus a bunch of PVC seemed like enough aligning and careful gluing for me. Not to get promotion-y but this machine is awesome. I've had it running for about a month and a half straight and have only had one failed print, getting the settings dialed in was simple and if I had to give one negative it's that the bed adhesion is really good and I've had to sharpen my scraper to get a fine enough tip to get under pieces. IT'S TOO GOOD. If you want a budget friendly beast of a printer, get a Tevo Tornado.
Untitled.png DSC_1324.JPG DSC_1321.JPG

It was a bit of a slog getting through all the pieces since the average was ~17 hours in print time so scheduling your day around a print queue can be fun. For the eagle eyed viewers throughout some of the photos in this thread and on my Instagram you can also see that I was changing up the setup and was building a bunch of workstations for the Cosplay Bunker to hopefully keep the cosplay chaos in the basement and not spread out over all three floors of our townhouse. The good news there is that I have a more permanent building area than the kitchen table! Any suggestions for workspace organizers or helpful equipment is appreciated!
IMG_20180704_195110.jpg DSC_1330.JPG DSC_1365.JPG

Sanding as I went was the way to go to minimize layer lines and remove any trace of Z-axis wobble while getting the printer settings right. XTC-3D was used to add a hard shell to the piece and further gap fill and save my sanders elbow. I highly recommend covering your work surface in butchers paper or a disposable cover so that resin getting everywhere doesn't make you have to sand your table top down.
DSC_1400.JPG

Embedding LEDs is always fun and terrifying at the same time, for this build because of difficult areas such as in the iron sights it wouldn't have been possible to create a jig or pull LEDs into place with fishing line easily so it had to be done in halves, place and glue the circuit in place permanently. Everything is then closed up and body work is done to fill gaps. For LED math it's pretty easy to do a quick calculation for matching an LED and resistor load on a battery but for people who are lazy and want to get answers while doping around on their phone LED center is the answer. Most retailers will supply a forward voltage for an LED and a current draw (usually 20mA so it's sometimes omitted) so it's just a matter of knowing that you need more voltage from your battery than your LED forward voltage and how many LEDs total you want in the circuit. If you have different colours of LED use the highest forward voltage and add a fudge factor to your resistors. Always test your circuits though! bad soldering can be the bane of any well thought out project, especially when things are being closed in forever.
DSC_1440.JPG DSC_1439.JPG DSC_1441.JPG DSC_1443.JPG DSC_1444.JPG

I still need to buy more clamps. 5 minute epoxy is a gift from the gods though. Especially in 35°C heat. It cures to working hardness quickly and is easily stronger than the base material that it's holding together. How's my clamping game?
DSC_1445.JPG DSC_1446.JPG DSC_1447.JPG

One low profile drawer slide installed and a few lengths of PVC inserted and it was time for some body shop work. Bondo and glazing putty were champions here, especially around the upper rail which could be spread in lazily with a popsicle/stir stick. A bunch of sanding and cleanup later and we get this beauty.
DSC_1453.JPG DSC_1454.JPG DSC_1456.JPG

HALO
received_10156618502352372.jpeg

Turbo that shotgun though! Holy crap you did it.
I recognize that drawer slide. ;) But, I am very jealous of how much better your boomstick is.

Funny story, I may have a third one printing by accident, want an update to your shotty?

Code word: Dirtbag
Password: Password
TC: Awesome!!!

View attachment 257642 View attachment 257643

Thanks man, this post is just a drop in the water for the booklet that's going in your care package. I've got little baggies of electronics and a set of instructions on how to build the thing just about wrapped up and ready to mail out.

Yee

*applause* very epic work! And your post with the YouTube link made my morning. Spent half an hour watching RvB clips, lol

So the second YouTube link didn't throw everything off for you? That's a shame.

Holy crap dude, seriously?! Absolutely amazing work! I'm guessing that is a file of your own design as well? So much awesome! Haha

-Matt

Thanks, the work isn't quite done yet but we're getting there! The file is my own design, I'm tempted to go back and do a bit of a rework. The other day I had one of those "AHA" moments in the shower and figured out a way better system for powering the circuit in the forward grip but everything was installed at that point so c'est la vie.

There are a couple like it, but this one is mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back