WinterHuntsman’s ODST build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very excited to hear the progress you make! I'm about to (re)start a build of my own and it's very nice seeing all of these posts on this site with everyone's hard work on display.

Ok sadly I have to stop working on the helmet for awhile as I’m moving into my dorm in 2 days for the school year and can not bring the supplies to work on the helmet further. I’ll still be able to work on it at home on weekends I decided to come home for though. So here’s the current status of the helmet.
4626BDCD-37F3-44E2-8451-D583D2AAF724.jpeg

7FBD100A-009F-48C9-BE84-33EB4ED5F6FD.jpeg

With the helmet I know there are some small divets and low areas. I’m working to fix as many as I can but I know I probably won’t get all of them. While the helmet is turning out better than I expected, I realize that it is going to be hard to get it perfect on the first time making one of these helmets. So I’m going to try and do a bit more work to get the obvious spots but after that I’m probably going to carve in a few details with the Dremel and move onto the next step.

Though good news is my dorm this year has enough space where I can work on the body armor. I will not be able to bring the foam and everything down day one but after Labor Day weekend I should have it all with me.

So it’s been awhile but I got news.
Thanks to the Labor Day weekend I’ll be able to go home and grab anything else I need for the dorm. The dorm has so much space that I can bring all my materials with me when I go back after the weekend.
I’ll be bringing all the foam supplies and card stock to uses for pattern printing and a possible 2 helmet project.

One of my major things I need to work on will be the shoulders. While they are done, I realized they were to small when looking at ODST references. I’ll have to scale them up and make a new pair, which will be my 3rd attempt at the shoulders.

I would work on the helmet but the use of chemicals like bondo and dust from sanding will be a difficult thing to deal with in a dorm.
Hope to have some actual photo updates soon with stuff completed.

So it’s been awhile.
I have not been able to do any of the work on my armor at school as my dorm does not allow the heat gun. So I have been relegated to only being able to work on it every so often when I go home for a weekend. This weekend coming up will be a 4 day break and I hope to finish the chest plate as well as the new shoulders.

Helmet still requires sanding but I don’t know how far to sand it down. As of now I have the ridges very well detailed but surfaces still have low spot and divets in other spots.

So it’s been awhile but I thought I would give you guys an update.
This year at college has been going well but leaves little time to work on the armor. So far I only just recently finished the breast plate and still need to attach it to the torso piece.
Not having the armor at school makes it difficult at times as I can only work on it when at home. Thankfully I have a long thanksgiving break coming up and winter break after that.

In the mean time I’ll be starting another helmet project at school. I recently printed off the pep template for a mk5 helmet from reach (the standard one noble 6 has).
I will keep you guys updated if anything more happens with the ODST armor in the near future.

It’s been awhile since my last update. School got busy but I’m still working on my armor. Sanding is going well. The right side of the helmet is looking very good and has a lot of detail coming through.
I’m having to remake the shoulders and breast plate as there was an accident. For a month while I was gone, my parents worked on my room, redoing trim. During the process they accidentally crushed the shoulder and plate piece. Luckily the main chest piece and helmet were not affected but I have been set back a bit by a month.
I’m always working on some part of this armor when I have time off of school. I may not post regularly, but that doesn’t mean I have stopped all together. I’ll post more stuff soon once the redone shoulders and breast plate are done.
I know you guys like some photos, so here are some of the helmet as of right now.

4A2C601E-46B5-4F92-92F4-FA309531A9C0.jpeg

F6AD34C8-4F0F-4115-9CA1-8F5BB9E9E2AD.jpeg

By the way, anyone know at what point I stop sanding? I know I still got a long ways to go (using 320 grit and sanding everything by hand), and the other side of the helmet I didn’t show needs a lot of work. Am I trying to get it to be completely smoothed out, smooth with occasional divets, sanded down to a super thin layer, or some combination of that?
I can probably finish the armor quicker than this helmet but o know how important it is to get the helmet looking correctly.

By the way, anyone know at what point I stop sanding? I know I still got a long ways to go (using 320 grit and sanding everything by hand), and the other side of the helmet I didn’t show needs a lot of work. Am I trying to get it to be completely smoothed out, smooth with occasional divets, sanded down to a super thin layer, or some combination of that?
I can probably finish the armor quicker than this helmet but o know how important it is to get the helmet looking correctly.
You will want a mostly smooth layer. Nick's and holes are fine because you will come back with spot putty to fill those and sand again

So I don’t know if anyone remembers me as it’s been quite awhile since I last posted. With everything going on lately and me now being home for the rest of the semester I decided to pick back up my armor from where I stopped. I never meant to stop so soon but with me being at college it was kinda impossible to do constantly until now.

With the helmet I am almost done with general sanding and about to go into some patch work and Dremel work to get the details in. So if anyone has advise on how to do patch work with bondo (like should I heave that surface rough or smooth) let me know. Also any word on next steps for it are also appreciated. General sanding will be done tomorrow and I’ll start detailing and patch work soon after that.
As for the body, I had to redo the breast plate and shoulders as they were to small for my taste. The main chest plate is still as solid as I last left it and I’m working on filling gaps in with extra foam and sanding it down.
I still have classes during all of this. So while I’m now back, Don’t expect an Constant updates as I’ll be doing school stuff before I continue working.

Glad to be back here and working on my armor. Not much has changed since my last set of photos but if anyone wants to see new ones, let me know.

Ok so I’m switching to do foam work right now but I need advice on the helmet. I’m starting to do Dremel work but I’m having trouble getting those tight angles. Right now it seems I can create a good angle but right at that point it’s more curved than angled. Anyone got a tip to create those nice sharp angles?
Also here is where I’m at with the helmet.
9DAD840A-E465-470B-9C49-3AA31A0AB65E.jpeg

6C634E48-5F06-49D4-B8DD-086C311F0D95.jpeg

229DDD68-19E5-4426-9A64-5729D94EF12E.jpeg

Ok so I’m switching to do foam work right now but I need advice on the helmet. I’m starting to do Dremel work but I’m having trouble getting those tight angles. Right now it seems I can create a good angle but right at that point it’s more curved than angled. Anyone got a tip to create those nice sharp angles?
Also here is where I’m at with the helmet.
View attachment 288221
View attachment 288222
View attachment 288223
Looking good! Just needs alot more sanding and filling. Bondo is a pin to work with, but you have made great progress so far and I applaud the effort. It will be the best feeling in the world once finished! For the angled corners, cut up some playing cards or plastic sheets and hot glue them in the shape you want, then pour in some bondo to fill in the shape. Remove the cards and it should be close to where you want it. Also I would recommend using a popsicle stick with low grit sandpaper to do the corners and detail lines now that you have the rough shape. It will clean it and define it more

Keep it up dude, what's your plan for when it comes to the visor?
I actually have no clue what to do about that part actually. I still have the sheets of cardstock that have the template for the visor on them though, so there is that.
I’m kinda at the point if I’ll worry about it when I get there. Still got a lot of sanding and then painting to do on the helmet before I even look at visors. I do know I want to do the reflective silver look though.

Ok I got some sanding done with how warm it was outside today. I can share some photos but you won’t be able to tell much, it’s just smoother in some areas now and there are less divets. Getting close to the finish line with sanding just got some leveling in areas, other divets so smooth out, and then I can finish with detail work with the Dremel. Sorry I haven’t posted in awhile, school has been busy with it all being online. I got finals this week and I start work sometime next week, so hopefully I’ll get some more free time to sand some more before work starts. I am always working on the stuff when I can, but I may not get around to updating you guys on stuff.

Ok last update before I get working on a lot of stuff. Shoulder work in progress. While still incomplete, these fit me a lot better. Plus they look better so far than my first attempt.
View attachment 289717I still don’t know how you guys are so clean and precise with your own foam work.

I'm no expert, and aside from simply "practice," the tools and techniques make a huge difference. Sharp knives are essential. I use a cheap kitchen knife sharpener and swipe my blades frequently. The blades themselves will eventually break down though, so having some extra blades around is a good idea. I also use a ruler to guide straight cuts. I'm not so great at bevels, so using a dremel tool to clean up my bevels and edges helps a lot. And most importantly: go slow! Mistakes happen when you rush. I get much better cuts and edges when I take my time.

Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing more.

Ok today is detailing day for the helmet! I got it as smooth as I want to and I’m now going to start using the Dremel to clean up lines and add any details in I want. There are a few rough spots but they are around areas I’m using the Dremel so I’ll sand those spots down once I finish.
I still may add a little bondo in some areas but it’s generally at a point I really like.
As for foam I have to order more glue as my last one sealed it’s self and I can’t get any more out of the bottle now.
0F5F5048-E940-4A66-BD84-187D58B3B390.jpeg

01F59DF2-3D3B-43FB-8928-46E9787EC7A0.jpeg

89DF9AE2-D146-479C-B805-15770228CAEF.jpeg

3D440C3E-2A2C-4DA3-B198-68C537BC7BEA.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back