Actual HUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I know for a fact, I'm not skilled enough to do it. But, is it possible to incorporate an actual HUD into a helmet? I mean, HUDs do exist. So, I know it's possible, but has anyone attempted it. I would assume it wouldn't be all fancy high tech military like, but it'd still be cool.

There have been many attempts and theories at a working hud. I do not believe anyone has come up with an affordable way to do this while keeping your eyes from breaking.

Now, I know for a fact, I'm not skilled enough to do it. But, is it possible to incorporate an actual HUD into a helmet? I mean, HUDs do exist. So, I know it's possible, but has anyone attempted it. I would assume it wouldn't be all fancy high tech military like, but it'd still be cool.

I would recommend that you do some search in the forum before asking this question. This has been discussed multiple times and at the end no one has a real prototype. Post like this is like a dead cassette player, repeating the same tone every time.

Emagine does a good huds system, it's less of a huds and more like a monocle with video feed, not my idea of huds but whatever it's still kool, if you don't have advanced electronics skills I think it might be a bit complicated, since they don't make it easy for yah

And anything is possible

wireless implants in your head and eyes almost nano tech (just really small) s*** load of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and time a surgon and different types of ppl with tech exp and i geuss nano and programers

the only way i see to incorporate a HUD into a helmet so you don,t have to have an expensive surgery would be to find or make some extremely small projectors or find a way to incorporate a display board on the inside of the visor itself and have it so that it is still see through or you could just have some spaces on the helmet where you cant see through it and find some grossly expensive flex screens and put them in but to say the most at this point the kind of technology you find on halo reach or any of the halo games for that matter is literally centuries out of our grasp. there is a reason as to why the time period in which the halo games are placed in is the year 2552 because that kind of tech would be something that would be regular tech. but if you do find a way to incorporate a HUD into a visor and still be able to see tell me because i would love to see it.

I had a basic idea of just projecting things on the visor. Basically you just have a layer behind the visor and have it project back at you, so it wont show through the front. The problem is its static, and cannot be changed without multiple projectors that display multiple stats.

Visor tech isn't really the problem, it can be done, but it may be expensive. The biggest problem is not just how its displayed, its your own body. You eyes can't focus on something that close to your face. Even if you have a helmet with a long face and enough room to focus, you can not focus on two things at once. In game, we see all the data, like ammo and grenades, and the background all as one. In real life, whatever you are looking at is going to be farther away from you then your HUD. Therefor, we would have to switch focus between the two, just to get info.

As much as I would love to see a system like this, its just not practical right now.

I believe I answered the same last time. We are building costumes for fun. A working HUD is too costly and impractical.

I can think of one precession who relies HUD for situation awareness, an Apache pilot of US army. but that is life and death reason for having HUD.

While it is certainly cost-prohibitive for the hobbyist market, Samsung is working on flexible OLEDs, which in the future could conceivably be made with a default level of transparency and cur to fit any visor out there.
Couple that with some custom display software, and there's your poor-man's HUD. (once prices com waaaay down)

Edit:
http://www.oled-display.net/flexible-oled/

I believe I answered the same last time. We are building costumes for fun. A working HUD is too costly and impractical.

I can think of one precession who relies HUD for situation awareness, an Apache pilot of US army. but that is life and death reason for having HUD.
No offense coolc, I'm sure you have contributed a lot, and while yes it's probably expensive and not practical, it's their money and their time, don't gotta be a naysayer

Ah yes, and Prototype This! The tv show made a fireman's pack and helm complete with radio transmitter and thermal camera with feed to a huds system in the mask
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...ype this firefighter&sa=N&biw=480&bih=268#i=0
Another way to make this is to take an old video camera, and take the viewfinder off and have it hooked to your choice of feed, this is also how you can make a cheap mans or night vision camera

It's been imagined so, how about if we keep throwing ideas at the topic, it will manifest itself as a whole new aspect... I thought if it was possible to mirror the display output on a small o'led (optical LED)display it could then be reflected onto the inside of a visor.....maybe more data than hud could be displayed... mobile phones use apps..so why not halo gear?

While it is certainly cost-prohibitive for the hobbyist market, Samsung is working on flexible OLEDs, which in the future could conceivably be made with a default level of transparency and cur to fit any visor out there.
Couple that with some custom display software, and there's your poor-man's HUD. (once prices com waaaay down)

Edit:
http://www.oled-display.net/flexible-oled/
It wouldn't really need to be transparent if you could hook up some small cameras in the helmet to live feed to it. Actually, I think that's how the helmets are supposed to be in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back