Bad Words in the Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are plenty of word choices to replace many curse words. So if you really feel the need to let one rip, type a substitute instead. It's not like we're actually verbally talking here and you let one slide by accident. The only accidents that should be happening when you type are typos and misspelled words. So either practice a little restraint or walk away from the keyboard when you feel the need to curse.

Pretty soon editing won't be the only thing that happens to your posts when you curse and are reported for it.

In short, DON'T FLIPPIN' CURSE!

:D

Wow this is crazy! I don't mean to get off topic again, but Rhinoc you're awesome. I had always thought I pronounced Mjolnir the correct way, but after doing some research on Wikipedia concerning Norse Mythology and the International phonetic alphabet, I stand corrected! It truly is Me-yall-near. You guys can check it out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:IPA_for_English and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir I always thought it was Me-yole-near. Oh well. :D

Sorry, back on topic. 23Magnum's already got my viewpoints summarized. Please, refrain from cursing. All it's gonna get you is some wierd looks and possibly a reporting.

So, basically, what you're saying is that I could very well call you a piece of fecal matter, and you would find there is no offense in that? I mean, I haven't cussed. I've straight up gone, even further, out of my way, to insult you, though.

My point is, it's not as simple as this "replace the word" mumbo-jumbo. While there are words to replace cuss words (Buttocks, sexual action, feces, and... I actually can't think of one that replaces "damn" in all cases... I mean, does "condemn" work?) most of the time, they don't have the strength or power as a word to quite do.

I mean, I'd never go out of my way to insult somebody, especially not on the internet. It's pointless and counter-productive. I do, however, consider certain words key to my syntax and vocabulary. I can do without f-blamming, and I sure as hell can do without droppin' a deuce on the internet. But when I see something awesome and the only word that comes to mind is "DAMN" would it do to say "CONDEMN AN UNSPECIFIED OBJECT"? God, I'm gonna make that my signature. For that matter, use of the word "hell", considered widely to be a curse, as an adverb. Should I say "Christian place of damnation?" Wait, then, I'd be saying "damn."

I dunno, I guess, you're totally right, it IS all about showing restraint. That's where I'm trying to come from, here. We don't need a censor or across-the-board edits. We just need people who can respect each other and follow some common social rules. Some cuss words should just be ruled right out, because they're only there for arguments' sake or to insult people, and that's not what the 405th needs. Other words are a bit... Hard to replace, and retain meaning in all situations. You get me?

Monkeyfist, you took those words right out my mouth, I totally agree.

I just take those who swear very unserious, and think they are unmature. Especially when Im at work or in school, those who cant manage their language properly, I loose a great deal of trust in.

Monkeyfist, you took those words right out my mouth, I totally agree.

I just take those who swear very unserious, and think they are unmature. Especially when Im at work or in school, those who cant manage their language properly, I loose a great deal of trust in.
Ditto. I can't respect my superiors when all they can say is -blam!-.

i agree. swearing can prevoke some one or some one might take it the wrong way. i think the only time i swear is where i see some awesome piece of halo suit or something and i say its f'ing epic but i wouldnt swear in general

I agree, too. This site is supposed to be a friendly enviroment. I have been to some other sites and some members swear their brains out.

I really like using the word, "cereal", so instead of me saying, "Are you f'ing cereal". I can now say, "Are you Crunching Cereal!!". It's safer to use and more fun to say!

-Pony

Or maybe "what the french toast"?! Seriously. If you can't find anything better to say besides profanity, you shouldn't even be typing. As many others have said, thre are plenty of other words to express feelings besides profanity. I am glad to see so many on this forum support the no cussing rule. I applaud you all!

clap,clap,clap!!!

And if you need additional help, look up some some sci-fi swear words.

Last edited by a moderator:
My viewpoint on this has already been covered, I don't swear, on or off the internet. At all. Period. Reasons why have already been addressed in this thread. I just want to post to a little side note.
Some of you may know I'm an avid airsoft player. My local airsoft boards are completely unmoderated so far as language goes, and let me tell you that the atmosphere on those boards is TERRIBLE!!! There's so many petty insults, uneccessary drama, and any extremely unprofessional feel. When I first joined I posted a little, but it was too stupid for me. Now I just go on there to get local game info.
On the flip side, the best boards I've been on all had strict language policies, and to me, it seems the stricter it is, the more friendly and helpful the forum is. That's the way I see it.

When it comes to censorship I'm pretty heavily against it in the sense that it is a block on your freedoms, you are prevented from seeing/saying profane things without your consent. It is your right to say/see/do as you please BUT it is not your right to infringe upon others rights/beliefs/views.

A forum I visit has one truly simple statement on the main page "You have no freedom of speech here nor any other Constitutionally protected rights. You are our guest as long as we allow it.".
It's true albeit a member you are still just a guest because they allow your use.

I refrain from the use of profanity on this site because I respect all of you who I share this forum with. Just my 2 cents :D, thanks.

It DOES bother me that cussing in the forums is looked down on. First of all, younger people who join the site OBVIOUSLY have heard bad words from halo, CoD, etc. SO bad words should definately not be discouraged. Why DO we look down on it, it's just words. words that, if not used, cant be used to show strong emotion.

Ok here's an idea. Go ahead and curse...BUT don't expect to stay here very long.

Yes cursing can express strong emotions, but so do about ten thousand other words in the English language. Perhaps if you expand your vocabularies a little it won't be an issue anymore.

Have a nice day.

This is getting ridiculous. No cursing is a rule, period. Deal with it or go some where else. This thread is over.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back