Do You Believe In Ghosts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nightpicnic said:
if that where true woldnt you turn into sound if you matched or exeded the speed of sound?
No.. Sound is a wave, and light is a ray.. totally different. Though there's an interesting thing that happens as you break the sound barrier.. google the images.. they're awesome.

Vexona said:
Hi Deadguy :)

To relate to what you were saying... The orb I saw bounced in a way reminiscent to a child's bouncy ball. It hopped in a rather energetic fashion (perhaps 2-3ft in the air) and did not slow. There was also no sound accompanying it. It did not buzz, crackle, or pop at any point. It was silent the whole while I watched it.
That's completely consistent with everything I've heard reported from trusted sources. It's at least safe to say.. whatever it was, you're not alone. :) and I'm jealous.. I have to ask though.. did the ball seem to emit smoke at all? I've heard mixed reports on that, and find it to be pretty interesting that everything would be so similar, yet differ in what would seem to be a major way.. Also, was there a color to it? Interesting to note that your grandfather found water in the area. Coincidence? I get that a LOT.

As a side note, on the topic of the inexplicable ;), my grandfather was successful at using Dowsing rods...

I wouldn't even consider that to be supernatural at all. Some bushmen in Australia do it without the rods! My uncle studied the process quite closely and beleived that there was a subtle change in gravitational pull over a water source. The aborigines would walk slowly and high speed film recorded the fact that they seemed to "Sway" slightly as they encountered a water source. Whether or not gravity and densitiy of the water versus rock had anything to do with it or not is something that was inconclusive.. It's beleived that this was something that ALL people were able to sense, but that evolution and lack of use meant that we wouldn't know what to do with that information if we registered it. (How many times have you had to dig for a drink or die?)

My uncle was some kinda' bigwig with the International Society of Dowsing, which used the divining rods you mention and also Pendulum dowsing. I've seen amazing results with both, and craptacular results too. I had a set of each, and was taught to use them by my uncle, but I never stuck with them.

The concept of those things are that you are subconsciously aware of the answer you're seeking, and can use these tools to "tap into those answers". As part of a test of what I'd learned, I was instructed to wander all over my uncle's yard and then meet him at his writing cabin (in his massive backyard over in England). Then I was instructed to draw a "map" of the yard, and overlay a grid on it, labelled like the grid in battleship (a-1, etc). Then I had to adjust the "rate" of my pedulum to match the rate of the element of water (adjusting the length of the string and asking a series of yes/no questions). Next, I had to ask stuff like "is there water beneath A-1?" and repeated this until I'd done every grid square.

Next, we wandered around and followed the water paths I'd outlined. He was pleased, and said I'd done extremely well. I'd love to say it was a perfect match, but my map kinda' sucked a bit, and there were some inaccuracies.. but there were a lot of matches too. Not bad for a first try. A story he told me.. (extremely condensed) is that his neighbor was about to have his entire driveway torn-up to find a missing water main connection that wasn't where it was supposed to be. My aunt was able to pinpoint the spot within 2 feet without even really knowing what it was supposed to look like, and they dug that area first.. saving the guy all kinds of money.

Is that proof positive? I dunno.. all I know for certain is that your subconscious is very unreliable and can certainly fool you and set you off on the wrong path without you being the wiser for it.. that's why I stopped messing with it eventually. Sometimes it'd be very accurate, and other times it was kinda' like.... what the hell are you smokin?! Also, since you think of the question to ask, you sometimes ended up answering questions that were in your head, rather than the one you were supposed to be focusing on. I got good enough to be able to detect an answer in my pendulum before it moved, but I don't think anyone ever got good enough to tell if it was being accurate or you were fooling yourself.

Cool dowsing story though... My uncle found a Roman knife while dowsing near a Roman road in England. He asked all kinds of questions about the guy who owned the knife (through the pendulum.. yes/no questions) and he recorded the whole thing on cassette tape and wrote a book about it. "The Centurion" by Jan de Hartog. I was promised a copy of the original transcriptions of the tapes but never got them before he died. They're locked away in a museum exhibit now with the rest of his novels and writing desks and all that. (Sorry, I miss the heck out of him and tend to go on and on).

Last edited by a moderator:
Deadguy said:
No.. Sound is a wave, and light is a ray.. totally different. Though there's an interesting thing that happens as you break the sound barrier.. google the images.. they're awesome.

no there called rays but actually there electromagetic waves

Oh, I know my pic is a bit 'hard to read' but it was taken when I was alone and I wasnt smoking a cigarette or anything. If it wernt my picture I would think its a fake or soem other malfunction, but since I am the one behind that picture I trust me completely lol. It is difficult to look at it and see anythgin really... it was taken a few years ago and back then it really shocked me lol.

Deadguy beat me to it but I was just going to say - dowsing is real and from what I've studied it isn't supernatural but gravitational fields like Deadguy said.

Sound and light is both energy not matter.

My Thoughts/Theory
On the subject of time - I don't see how it is possible for time to slow down. Since time is something that we actually invented. Day and Night were there in the beginning but seconds minutes hours all the way up to the largest time measurement was created by man.
So whats that really mean? Well things like oxygen, trees, even speed and acceleration exist before we invent it. Those things are something we just gave a word to the real definition. Time however is a thought an idea or concept if you wish. If you knew nothing about the world you would still be able to feel movement, things changing in speed of their movement. But the only 'time' you would be aware of would be day - a time of light and night - a time of dark...
Anyways as a way to reference time was created. Time helps us reference points through the day and the night. It helps us reference speeds.
Instead of meet me today or late in the day. We say meet me at 4.
Instead of saying the car moves, moves quickly, or moves at 60 miles. We can say the car moves at 60 miles Per Hour.
So given that to all be true, time being our point of reference that we created, an idea or concept. How can moving at ANY speed change the passage of time. How can you possibly slow down time a particular area. If you went a billion miles per hour, in one hour you would have went a billion miles and one hour would have passed. If I came going 1 mile per hour it would take me a billion hours but when I got there time would still be the same for both of us since time is a concept we both hold in common. If I make a box how can I make time slow down inside the box? Time is the same inside and out because it's a constant that we created.

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
Speaking of which, I know someone like that, it's funny to ask him about ghosts, he goes all "nothing is supernatural except God," which, in a sense, is an oxymoron...

Anyways, as I've already stated, I don't believe in ghosts as portrayed in movies, but let me go a little more into detail as what I believe...

I don't believe ghosts are lost souls that had no where to go after death

I do believe that, as a Christian, spirits of demons or angels can come to earth to harm or protect us, respectively. When I say ghosts, I mainly mean spirits in a sense like this. :)
same here

leegrisham said:
Deadguy beat me to it but I was just going to say - dowsing is real and from what I've studied it isn't supernatural but gravitational fields like Deadguy said.

Sound and light is both energy not matter.

My Thoughts/Theory
On the subject of time - I don't see how it is possible for time to slow down. Since time is something that we actually invented. Day and Night were there in the beginning but seconds minutes hours all the way up to the largest time measurement was created by man.
So whats that really mean? Well things like oxygen, trees, even speed and acceleration exist before we invent it. Those things are something we just gave a word to the real definition. Time however is a thought an idea or concept if you wish. If you knew nothing about the world you would still be able to feel movement, things changing in speed of their movement. But the only 'time' you would be aware of would be day - a time of light and night - a time of dark...
Anyways as a way to reference time was created. Time helps us reference points through the day and the night. It helps us reference speeds.
Instead of meet me today or late in the day. We say meet me at 4.
Instead of saying the car moves, moves quickly, or moves at 60 miles. We can say the car moves at 60 miles Per Hour.
So given that to all be true, time being our point of reference that we created, an idea or concept. How can moving at ANY speed change the passage of time. How can you possibly slow down time a particular area. If you went a billion miles per hour, in one hour you would have went a billion miles and one hour would have passed. If I came going 1 mile per hour it would take me a billion hours but when I got there time would still be the same for both of us since time is a concept we both hold in common. If I make a box how can I make time slow down inside the box? Time is the same inside and out because it's a constant that we created.
Yeah, that's kinda how I see it. In a sense, we created a method to figure out a way to calculate the amount of time it takes for the Earth to revolve on it's axis and how long it takes to revolve around the sun, so, really, if you can slow down time, that means you'd also have to slow down the rate at which the Earth rotates. It's not like you go in at 7 a.m. with the sun shining bright, then come out an hour later and it be totally dark as if it were midnight.

dang. ome of the things in the video can easily be special FX but theres alot of youtube stuff that arent.
one of my fav ghosts vids i that japanese girl one in the mirror :D

nightpicnic said:
no there called rays but actually there electromagetic waves
My bad.. I forgot. It's still not the same thing though.. In any event, the theory is that as you accelerate towards light speed, your mass increases, which therefore requires the use of more force. You can't reach light speed because you are always have to accelerating in RESPONSE to your increase of mass. Eventually, you are unable to proceed.

It's kinda' like saying if you were moving towards me and I was exactly ten inches away, and every minutue you moved forward EXACTLY half the remaining distance between us.. how long would it take you to reach me? You'd never reach me.. because if you move half the distance, that means there's always another "half" left:
10" the 1st minute
5" the 2nd minute
2.5 the 3rd minute
1.25 the 4th minute
.625 the 5th minute
.3125 the 6th minute
.15625 the 7th minute
.078125 the 8th minute
etc for infinity.

What you were suggesting is kinda' putting the chicken before the egg. Does material become a light wave because it's fast? or does it move fast because it's light?

BlacRoseImmortal said:
Oh, I know my pic is a bit 'hard to read' but it was taken when I was alone and I wasnt smoking a cigarette or anything. If it wernt my picture I would think its a fake or soem other malfunction, but since I am the one behind that picture I trust me completely lol. It is difficult to look at it and see anythgin really... it was taken a few years ago and back then it really shocked me lol.

I wish I had it in hand to look at.. it seems interesting, but I can't determine details. It vaguely reminds me of a picture of a mirror that's covered in handprints... but I can't see it enough.

Fragclone said:
dang. ome of the things in the video can easily be special FX but theres alot of youtube stuff that arent.
one of my fav ghosts vids i that japanese girl one in the mirror :D

yathat 1 is kik

My bad.. I forgot. It's still not the same thing though.. In any event, the theory is that as you accelerate towards light speed, your mass increases, which therefore requires the use of more force. You can't reach light speed because you are always have to accelerating in RESPONSE to your increase of mass. Eventually, you are unable to proceed.

It's kinda' like saying if you were moving towards me and I was exactly ten inches away, and every minutue you moved forward EXACTLY half the remaining distance between us.. how long would it take you to reach me? You'd never reach me.. because if you move half the distance, that means there's always another "half" left:
10" the 1st minute
5" the 2nd minute
2.5 the 3rd minute
1.25 the 4th minute
.625 the 5th minute
.3125 the 6th minute
.15625 the 7th minute
.078125 the 8th minute
etc for infinity.

What you were suggesting is kinda' putting the chicken before the egg. Does material become a light wave because it's fast? or does it move fast because it's light?

ya u right lol

lol wow we wnt from ghosts to like confusing stuff that i barely get lol

r u taking about the white circle of smoke looking stuff?

Seno 'Ypsamee said:
Yeah, that's kinda how I see it. In a sense, we created a method to figure out a way to calculate the amount of time it takes for the Earth to revolve on it's axis and how long it takes to revolve around the sun, so, really, if you can slow down time, that means you'd also have to slow down the rate at which the Earth rotates. It's not like you go in at 7 a.m. with the sun shining bright, then come out an hour later and it be totally dark as if it were midnight.
The problem is in your definition of what slowing down time actually IS.

Yes, we invented time, in some respects, but it sounds like you're mistaking the invention of time with the invention of timekeeping devices. We didn't invent gravity, but we invented scales to determine how strong gravity's affect is. We determined that by rushing towards where gravity is pulling us towards, we can move faster than gravitational forces can pull us, thereby making ourselves weightless. (which occurs only in relationship to the vessel we are in).

(BAD example if you understand what gravity truly is.. but a great example if you haven't run into any advanced courses on the subject)

However.. when you drop an apple, and you first let go of it. Is it in the air? or is it on the ground? The answer is that it depends on how much time has elapsed, correct? If time didn't exist on it's own.. the apple would be in your hand, on the ground, on the vine, etc, simultaneously. Things couldn't travel because they would exist in every position they have ever been in or will ever exist in. We didn't invent that at all.

It's similar to a deaf man attempting to prove that sound doesn't exist, or the old question of the tree in the forest falling down.. does it make a sound? (because sound is an interpretation of waves of vibration hitting our eardrums, not the waves themselves).

If I blocked time from hitting you, you'd be frozen, and never know the difference except when you checked your surroundings afterwards. Everything not blocked would continue on as normal.. so If I did it for a day.. you'd blink and it'd be the next day already. You don't slow something down or speed it up.. by blocking time you make events take longer to happen. That's the basis of time travel.. to you, you would have time travelled into the next day. Of course everyone else would laugh because to them, you stood there unmoving for a solid day. Who's right? both of you are right from your own perspective.

But getting back to the topic of ghosts.. I'm sure some odd things exist and I've experienced things that can't be explained.. however that doesn't mean they fall out of the scope of physics, it merely falls out of our KNOWN scope of physics.. We're all still learning.. even those on the "cutting edge" of any of these fields.

I don't beleive that religeon is a part of these things at all. I think that an openmind and a willingness to learn is what will help us move forward with it though.

Also, a quicky I thought I'd point out. I DID see a ghost once.. sort of.. I was a kid being driven home from work by my dad. Suddenly this car backs out of a gas station right in front of us and rolls to a stop. My dad cursed and hit the brake. Then I suddenly realized that I TOTALLY could have sworn I saw a driver in ther car looking behind him as he pulled out. The car was empty, and the guy had forgotten to set the parking brake on an incline. It was weird, but I certainly never considered that a ghost.. it was my mind trying to fill-in the blanks on a sudden situation it didn't understand.

Supernatural.. naw.. but weird.. I swear I can still remember seeing a guy in the car.

yea me and my friend jeremy were walking by a really old resturant and i decided to take a pic well when i got home i uploaded it to my computer and we looked at it and we saw someone in the window thinking nothing of it we went on to the next one and it was a diffrent window but the same person so went back up there and took more photos of the same spots and it was gone

I know this conversation is getting off topic... but
How can you block time? How can you slow time? It just doesn't add up to me Deadguy, I'm not trying to be difficult I'm trying to understand.

Blocking/Stopping time?: Wormhole is necessary, but not currently feasable.

Time as a person percieves it is Chronological Time, that is a sequence of events. However this perception of time is not a quantifiable or tangable item, therefore manners of measuring time were invented. The first measures of time were based on celestial observation, day cycles, then monthly calendars. However the basis for these measurements were in constant flux.. meaning that the time it was relative to the rotation of the earth and the earths distance to the sun, not time itself.

Physics now defines Space and Time as being closely related, or being part of a greater field of a 'spacetime' continum. Einsteins theory of relativity maintains that time is a perception of the spacial relativity of the observer. In short percieved time is different for each person.. our mechanisms or measuring time are the only thing giving us a rule to measure against.

In theory if you had two 'real time' clocks synchronised and sent one to the other side of the galaxy and back, when it arrived, the two clocks would not still be synchronized. Actual time is an effect of gravity, mass, and atrophy.

For a far better explanation of this you should read the book or see the film "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. The first time I saw that film I definately looked at the entire world differently. It's very revealing.

On the subject of ghosts though.. what do you guys think about the theory about 'residual energy', that is to say that a particular place can be a vessel for a time related event that can repeat itself? Intelligent haunting are definately something different than these residual haunts.. but it residual haunts do exist as we know them what form of energy is an event 'recorded' by?

I've always wondered about that. o_O

Going back to the time answer. Sorry for being off-topic Sean, just have another perspective to add real quick.

Everybody has been jumping to the physics arguments for time changes (to us the universe is 12 billion years old, to the center of the universe it's only been about 6 days etc.) but the key to remember is that with what's available to average folks that is much more likely simply the perception of time.

Time passes as we record it relatively constantly on the scale of a human lifetime within the planetary sphere. However, people themselves do not perceive time constantly. I know if I'm hunting and jacked up with adrenaline as I line up my shot, time passes much slower relatively. The same thing happens waiting for a pitch while batting in baseball etc. Essentially the faster your mind is running whether from adrenaline or dopamine or anything else, the slower time appears to pass and vice-versa. I think this is a much more likely explanation that doesn't have to push the laws of astrophysics.

In theory if you had two 'real time' clocks synchronised and sent one to the other side of the galaxy and back, when it arrived, the two clocks would not still be synchronized. Actual time is an effect of gravity, mass, and atrophy.

Remember the experiment they did with a mini atomic clock and an SR-71 Blackbird where they took it to max speed until it ran out of fuel and when it landed it was barely a micron behind the land clock? Now that was cool! :lol:

I think I will have a gander at that movie. This concept is a little hard for me to grasp through forum board messages. Plus maybe visual cues will help me learn. Thanks for trying though.

leegrisham said:
How can you slow time?
By going really fast or being near areas of intense gravity.

Sean Bradley said:
That's the time dilation effect first described in Einstein's special theory of relativity and further expanded in the general theory of relativity to include acceleration effects, namely gravity. In order to preserve the constancy of the speed of light, time has to change.

Sigma-LS said:
Remember the experiment they did with a mini atomic clock and an SR-71 Blackbird where they took it to max speed until it ran out of fuel and when it landed it was barely a micron behind the land clock? Now that was cool! :lol:
That's one of the experiments that confimed Einstein's theory.

I'm a physicist by training so I tend to be very skeptical of the existence of ghosts since none of the purported "evidence" panned out IMO.

Ghosts are real?! :eek:

Halo_3_ghost_angle.jpg

Where can I get one? :D

Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't believe in god, but does believe in ghosts?
lol...

Sean Bradley said:
[...]
For a far better explanation of this you should read the book or see the film "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. The first time I saw that film I definately looked at the entire world differently. It's very revealing.
[...]
o_O I had no idea there was movie. I have the book (it's my dads), it's the first edition, 1988, he never read it, though. He bought cassettes because he's lazy to read. >.< I think my dad is the only person who listened to Stephen Hawking while driving to work at a coal mine. lol

I'm going to see if I can find the movie..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back