Halo Ce remake confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh snap!

anyways, lets get back on track with this thread here:

if they put armor abilities in Halo CE redub, I'm destroying all of my halo memoribilia

Don't destroy halo memoribilila because the new halo game is bad. Think about the halo games you love^^ I know I would be pissed tooXD Master didn't pick up any armor abilitys from the pillar of autumn before he went into the escape pod. So they will f**k the story up if they did that:p

Don't destroy halo memoribilila because the new halo game is bad. Think about the halo games you love^^ I know I would be pissed tooXD Master didn't pick up any armor abilitys from the pillar of autumn before he went into the escape pod. So they will f**k the story up if they did that:p

at least he sprinted...

Yeah, I'd accept the addition of Sprint and/or Evade, because they seem more like natural abilities than armor features. (And they played pretty well into Reach. Seemed like perfect extensions of gameplay, those.)

Even still, don't break your memorabilia. Give it to me. >:D

also sprint should be just a gameplay feature.

I mean the spartans in the novels could run at burts of 55-KMPH

IF they do do this I would love to see a new PC game version too. I think a newer version of custom edition to follow it would rock too.

Well, I didn't know you were training to be a gunsmith. Your comment suggested otherwise. (To an extreme, for that matter)

Not really. All submachine guns today use the same ammunition as pistols. For example, the MP-5 and all of its variants, the MP-7, several configurations of the Uzi,the FMG-9, etc. all use the 9x19mm Parabellum, which is one of the standard rounds used by pistols ranging from Glocks to Les Baers. On the other end of the spectrum, submachine guns such as the UMP, the Vector, and the hallowed Thompson all chamber the .45ACP, which is perhaps the second most popular handgun round around, behind the 9mm. I do realize that the idea of using 50 cal. magnum loads in a submachine gun is a little ridiculous, and is much more conducive to an assault weapon rather than a submachine gun, but the military tests far more ridiculous concepts than that on a regular basis. Besides, who knows what ideas that we would consider insane today will actually become commonplace in 400 years? Just something to think about...

Not really. All submachine guns today use the same ammunition as pistols.
While it's true that all SMGs use pistol-caliber ammunition, the change from 5mm to 12.7mm in caliber, in itself, is fairly ridiculous. Even if it were simple to plug a barrel nearly 3 times as wide as the original, the breech and firing chamber would have to be severely modified to accept that kind of cartridge. (The M7's stock breech and chamber accept caseless ammunition, and therefore don't even have an ejection mechanism) Beyond that, the entire system would have to be modified to withstand the significant increase in forces applied to it by swapping from a lightweight 5mm round to a heavy 12.7mm SAPHE round, with powder charge to match. By this point, the firearm's frame isn't even close to the original, nor are its mechanisms. By that, you would no longer have a modified M7, but a new weapon, completely.

This caliber isn't even conducive to assault weapons. It seems exclusive to mounted, or at least, heavy weapons. (Not to mention SMGs have much higher fire rates, which is incredibly unreasonable for large-caliber rounds)

I'm not insulting your intelligence; at least, not on purpose. I'm merely stating that this line of thinking led me to my original statement, as well as that of the gunsmith. I mean, you know, unless I'm absolutely wrong about explosive force used to induce linear motion, and the effects of erring from the original specified pressure range for that set of components. (Which I'd like to think I do, considering my long time as an amateur mechanic, and current training as a mechanical engineer)

While it's true that all SMGs use pistol-caliber ammunition, the change from 5mm to 12.7mm in caliber, in itself, is fairly ridiculous. Even if it were simple to plug a barrel nearly 3 times as wide as the original, the breech and firing chamber would have to be severely modified to accept that kind of cartridge. (The M7's stock breech and chamber accept caseless ammunition, and therefore don't even have an ejection mechanism) Beyond that, the entire system would have to be modified to withstand the significant increase in forces applied to it by swapping from a lightweight 5mm round to a heavy 12.7mm SAPHE round, with powder charge to match. By this point, the firearm's frame isn't even close to the original, nor are its mechanisms. By that, you would no longer have a modified M7, but a new weapon, completely.

This caliber isn't even conducive to assault weapons. It seems exclusive to mounted, or at least, heavy weapons. (Not to mention SMGs have much higher fire rates, which is incredibly unreasonable for large-caliber rounds)

I'm not insulting your intelligence; at least, not on purpose. I'm merely stating that this line of thinking led me to my original statement, as well as that of the gunsmith. I mean, you know, unless I'm absolutely wrong about explosive force used to induce linear motion, and the effects of erring from the original specified pressure range for that set of components. (Which I'd like to think I do, considering my long time as an amateur mechanic, and current training as a mechanical engineer)

You are absolutely 100% right in all of your thought processes. To be embarrassingly honest, I made the original statement simply because I don't like making one sentence posts. It feels cheap to me. Thus, I used that statement as a filler, not thinking that anyone would tear it apart like you did. :D It was not meant to be serious by any stretch of the imagination.
You are also correct in that the weapon would have to be modified to the point that it would no longer be recognizable in order to force it to chamber a 12.7mm round. Everything from the barrel to the receiver would have to be heavily modified. Also, as you point out, the SMGs internals are not designed to handle real ammunition, although the concept of caseless ammunition is an absurd one. The power of a bullet comes from the rapid expansion of gasses that are funneled by the metal casing into the barrel. A casing that burned with the gunpowder could never contain the gases like a metal one could. This would further slow down the bullet, which is already inherently slow, effectively lowering its killing power. Ignoring all of that, such a casing would cause the gun to get incredibly dirty, incredibly quick, which would ultimately lead to LOTS of jams and malfunctions.
I also just wanted to clarify that the term "Assault Weapon" is a political term and not a technical one. It basically describes any kind of rifle that has the features of military rifles. The term I should have used was machine gun.

You are absolutely 100% right in all of your thought processes. To be embarrassingly honest, I made the original statement simply because I don't like making one sentence posts. It feels cheap to me. Thus, I used that statement as a filler, not thinking that anyone would tear it apart like you did. :D It was not meant to be serious by any stretch of the imagination.
You are also correct in that the weapon would have to be modified to the point that it would no longer be recognizable in order to force it to chamber a 12.7mm round. Everything from the barrel to the receiver would have to be heavily modified. Also, as you point out, the SMGs internals are not designed to handle real ammunition, although the concept of caseless ammunition is an absurd one. The power of a bullet comes from the rapid expansion of gasses that are funneled by the metal casing into the barrel. A casing that burned with the gunpowder could never contain the gases like a metal one could. This would further slow down the bullet, which is already inherently slow, effectively lowering its killing power. Ignoring all of that, such a casing would cause the gun to get incredibly dirty, incredibly quick, which would ultimately lead to LOTS of jams and malfunctions.
I also just wanted to clarify that the term "Assault Weapon" is a political term and not a technical one. It basically describes any kind of rifle that has the features of military rifles. The term I should have used was machine gun.

Caseless ammo and weapons are vastly superior to conventional firearms in every way. Caseless munitions are about half the size and weight of it's cased counterparts and have similer ballistic and terminal effects. Also, caseless weapons are cleaner than the cased weapons (no ejection port, no exposed bolt= no dirt) I dunno where you got the idea that caseless rounds are dirtier than cased, the bonding agent holding the caseless round together disintigrates with the propellant. Just as clean, or dirty as the cased round. The caseless round "Cook's Off" is comparable to that of the cased round, though I don't have numbers onit. True the 4.73mm caseless did have problems during developement, but H&K have long since resolved the problem. Even ATK Thiokol has already addressed the problem with the LSAT rifle by using similer propellant and using a unique rotaing cylinder system. Another advantage that caseless has over cased is that the ammunition doesn't explode when exposed to extreme heat.

Comparing caseless weapons with conventional, caseless weapons inheritanly have a faster rate of fire (As they do not have to exract) and fewer mechanical components (Simpler design) Also with caseless weapons, mechanical failures are fewer (lack of brass to eject and stovepipe) Another advantage that Caseless weapons have is that they are at least 35% lighter than thier counterparts, and they are getting lighter still.

This isn't my opinion or a DARPA pipe dream, this is what's already been achieved. The G11 rifle wasn't abandoned because of mechanical and cook off probelms. It was issued in small numbers with the Bundswehr, and the program was dropped because of politics, just like the XM8 (Which was a mechanically superior weapon to that of the M4 and M16)
Here within the next ten years, we may start seeing caseless weapons replacing conventional ones. In fact, they already are: The 3GL, MAUL, Rheinmetall RMK30, and Balkan, to name a few.
What I've said here is already outdated by about 5 years, they may have already "matured" the technology.

I always thought halo's human weapons were a bit primitive for 500 years in the future. A possible explanation for higher caliber weapons, super accurate long range pistols, etc, is the fact that in 500 years they have perfected the firearm. Now I know nothing about guns, but this is what I see as a possibility.

Caseless ammo and weapons are vastly superior to conventional firearms in every way. Caseless munitions are about half the size and weight of it's cased counterparts and have similer ballistic and terminal effects. Also, caseless weapons are cleaner than the cased weapons (no ejection port, no exposed bolt= no dirt) I dunno where you got the idea that caseless rounds are dirtier than cased, the bonding agent holding the caseless round together disintigrates with the propellant.
The problem is not the external dirt that gets in, it is the tremendous amount of gunpowder that coats the inside of the gun. Gunpowder does not just "disintegrate" after it ignites. It leaves behind a residue that covers the inside of the weapon and will cause malfunctions in the mechanics of the guns. With caseless round weapons, there is no ejection port to allow residue to leave.

If I remember correctly, the G11 does not have a simpler design. Its internals have been compared to the complexity of a pocket watch. It was a nightmare to take apart and put back together and was not conducive to battlefield conditions. Also, it had something like a 6000 round life before it needed major maintenance.

You are right that caseless ammunition does have a higher temperature tolerance than conventional ammunition, but one major design flaw is that the metal casing acts as a heat shield to cool the gun. Without the shells, the gun get much hotter, much quicker which has been known to cause rounds to "cook off" while in the gun. They may find a way to perfect this kind of technology in the future, but that day has not come yet.

Just a note on the XM8. As much as I love the designs of Heckler & Koch and all of their guns, the XM8 did not fail because of politics, although politics would have seen that it did not replace the M16 if it was successful. The XM8 was considered a superior design to the M16 all the way up to the stress tests. It performed admirably as it passed tests that would have jammed the M16 with ease, but when it came to the continuous fire test, it actually melted. The polymers used to construct the gun just could not stand up to the heat. It was a shame because the project had so much potential. I can forgive them though, because the new Heckler & Koch 416 and 417 are probably the best designed rifles in the world, combining the accuracy and customization potential of the M16 with the durability and reliability of the AK-47. Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3LHEYUha9c&feature=related

Just a note on the XM8. As much as I love the designs of Heckler & Koch and all of their guns, the XM8 did not fail because of politics, although politics would have seen that it did not replace the M16 if it was successful. The XM8 was considered a superior design to the M16 all the way up to the stress tests. It performed admirably as it passed tests that would have jammed the M16 with ease, but when it came to the continuous fire test, it actually melted. The polymers used to construct the gun just could not stand up to the heat. It was a shame because the project had so much potential. I can forgive them though, because the new Heckler & Koch 416 and 417 are probably the best designed rifles in the world, combining the accuracy and customization potential of the M16 with the durability and reliability of the AK-47. Check it out here:

That's interesting about the XM8, I hadn't heard that before. I always thought it was a cost issue that it was canceled. Can't agree with you on the 416/417 though. In the Army's 2007 sand test (I forget the name) the SCAR beat the 416. And frankly, USSOCOM chose the SCAR. I think that's proof enough what's state of the art in the assault rifle world. Just sayin'.

Back on topic!

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have already stated, the LSAT rifle has already addressed all problems concerning caseless munitions. I agree with you there about the xm8, that's why I said the mechanical components, but it was canceled for political reasons. The thing to remember about conventional rifles is that it is a mature technology, the best has already been made, and it's a matter of tradeoffs that factor in what rifle is used by which person. I personally like the CZ 805 BREN A1, an assault rifle that just came out last year. It beat the FN SCAR in Czech military trials. I've owned a lot of weapons, but CZ's are my favorite.

@Sangheili811
True USSOCOM did purchase the FN SCAR, but that doesn't make it the absolute best. Like I said before, each weapon has a tradeoff, and the FN SCAR had tradeoff's that USSOCOM liked. I know the other branches of the military aren't interested in using them, simply because it doesn't meet their needs.

As I said before, caseless weapons will eventually phase out cased weapons, it's inevitible. Further down the road, magnetic weapons will phase out caseless weapons, and energy weapons will phase out magnetic weapons.

Back to Halo.
I agree that the campaign should be left "as is" but what I didn't like about the Halo: CE levels were that they were heavily recycled. If only there were a way to "straigten" out those levels (Some of the levels seemed to go in circles to me) and stay true to the game at the same time.

Back to Halo.
I agree that the campaign should be left "as is" but what I didn't like about the Halo: CE levels were that they were heavily recycled. If only there were a way to "straigten" out those levels (Some of the levels seemed to go in circles to me) and stay true to the game at the same time.

Like "the silent cartagropher"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back