Just Another Armor Newbie? Mjolnir Mk VI (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
photo.jpg

...yeah, think of how cool I'd look going snowboarding with this thing on. Hahahaha.

Haha, I think I'd die if I wore my snowboarding get-up while working! I hope your goggles don't get too scratched up, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your pics!

Oh no, I'd never wear my snowboarding gear while I was resin-(ing?)!
Just thought it'd look pretty boss, honestly. Hahaha.
As I've been waiting for the resin to dry, I've been working on the right bicep, only put about 15 minutes into it, but I'll work on it more tomorrow! I scaled it right, but it might be a little too big, at least it's good practice!
As for the helmet, anyway, the resin made it kind of transparent-ish. It's not a problem, right? It just started happening after fiberglassing. I don't think it's a problem, as the helmet is still in great shape, but I'm just curious. I'm getting really excited about this, nonetheless! :) I'm really stoked about how solid it's getting! I'm just a geek... but yeah. I'll take some pictures after I sand it, which will be Saturday or Sunday most likely!
I also have spring break at the end of this month, so I'm expecting to get a lot done over that time. Woot!

Its not a problem just dont set it upside down on anything or you could get a flat spot ontop your head. the paper is soaking in the resin and it will become more stiff but not super strog... if you plan on doing mesh put it on the inside of your peices... as for it being transparent, dont worry paint will cover that.

Its not a problem just dont set it upside down on anything or you could get a flat spot ontop your head. the paper is soaking in the resin and it will become more stiff but not super strog... if you plan on doing mesh put it on the inside of your peices... as for it being transparent, dont worry paint will cover that.

Sweet, sweet! I've been using fiberglass cloth which comes apart on the sides way too easily... then gets stuck to everything

I've never used cloth but when i was told how to do it i was told to use it on the outside and just push it onto the model... mesh i know goes on the inside cause of its messy look that no one likes...

I've never used cloth but when i was told how to do it i was told to use it on the outside and just push it onto the model... mesh i know goes on the inside cause of its messy look that no one likes...
Fiber glass cloth goes on the inside as well. For the most part, any fiberglass should be applied to the inside of the model so you dont lose detail and it really doesn't sand smooth. Just saying.

@ AbbyWanKenobi, Nice build so far!

Okay, couple tips. First, to preserve the the life of your cartridges store the respirator in a zibloc between uses. It helps a lot. If in doubt about whether your cartridges are good or not replace them. The reason we seem so insistent is that the VOCs from polyester (fiberglass) resin are proven carcinogens, aka cancer causing agents. Let's see, other tips. For the fiberglass cloth. If you are careful when cutting and use an extremely sharp knife your edges won't start to fray. I always switch to a new blade when cutting fiberglass. I try to keep it very neat when moving and storing it. The less it abrades, or rubs against anything the less tendency it will have to fray. There is not much as annoying as fiberglass strands everywhere. Not to mention they are sharp when they harden. I you get resin and fiberglass on your gloves and you want to clean them between batches, you can use a little brake fluid. This will help to break it down a bit (no pun intended). I usually go through a lot of gloves when fiberglassing or working with resin. Hope those help. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a pm and I will help however
I can.

Sweet, sweet! I've been using fiberglass cloth which comes apart on the sides way too easily... then gets stuck to everything

Haha, yeah, the gloves I bought are getting absolutely covered in fibreglass strands and bits of bog. Also, I'm really looking forward to seeing how your build goes, since we both seem to have started doing this about the same time.

i used to use the straight fiberglass cloth + resin, then i found out about mud-glassing (rondo). it saves a lot of time but it s kind of messy until you get the hang of it and are comfortable with how thick or thin you want your rondo.

Actually here's a tutorial from TANDHEM i really like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HuYb50tsGo

btw, im really lovin' your work. that Mark 6 helmet is a hard model to put together. ..i don't know why, but i think the Mark 6 doesn't like me for some reason. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a foam guy (my suit, not me) however, I've worked with Longshot alot and I heard him say something about dipping your fingers in baby powder to prevent the stuff from sticking to your gloves so bad.

Okay, couple tips. First, to preserve the the life of your cartridges store the respirator in a zibloc between uses. It helps a lot. If in doubt about whether your cartridges are good or not replace them. The reason we seem so insistent is that the VOCs from polyester (fiberglass) resin are proven carcinogens, aka cancer causing agents. Let's see, other tips. For the fiberglass cloth. If you are careful when cutting and use an extremely sharp knife your edges won't start to fray. I always switch to a new blade when cutting fiberglass. I try to keep it very neat when moving and storing it. The less it abrades, or rubs against anything the less tendency it will have to fray. There is not much as annoying as fiberglass strands everywhere. Not to mention they are sharp when they harden. I you get resin and fiberglass on your gloves and you want to clean them between batches, you can use a little brake fluid. This will help to break it down a bit (no pun intended). I usually go through a lot of gloves when fiberglassing or working with resin. Hope those help. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a pm and I will help however
I can.

Thank you so much! That'll help me a TON!

i used to use the straight fiberglass cloth + resin, then i found out about mud-glassing (rondo). it saves a lot of time but it s kind of messy until you get the hang of it and are comfortable with how thick or thin you want your rondo.

Actually here's a tutorial from TANDHEM i really like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HuYb50tsGo

btw, im really lovin' your work. that Mark 6 helmet is a hard model to put together. ..i don't know why, but i think the Mark 6 doesn't like me for some reason. lol

Sounds pretty interesting! I think I might just try it.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:
I wasn't able to resin today on the count of rain, considering I'm not going to resin indoors. I could do it in the garage, but there's a good chance it'll sneak into the house, even if I had the garage door open and a fan going. Oh well. I spent all night working on the right bicep. I could've finished it a lot faster if I hadn't done it without looking at the model on pep designer. I was too lazy to get up and check all the time. But I'm pretty satisfied with it! You know... other than it being way too big. I'll print off another one tomorrow and it'll be the right size. Otherwise, it'll be good practice... again.

photosdgg.jpg

ffff.jpg

Yep, that's a bendy straw. Don't be callin' shenanigans.
sdggg.jpg

You should watch out for the multiple posts. It's better to use the edit button. Click edit post then click go advanced and then edit away.

I'm a foam guy (my suit, not me) however, I've worked with Longshot alot and I heard him say something about dipping your fingers in baby powder to prevent the stuff from sticking to your gloves so bad.

Gamemasteer is correct. After each piece of cloth or mat is placed I would dip my gloves into some talc or baby powder. Then place the next piece. Saved me lots of time and gloves. Worked out very well.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back