Noble Spartan(mod's/add-on's begin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work on the suit updates Thorn! Glad to see you adding a UA attachment to the helmet; I feel that they aren't done enough. Also, I have to say that's pretty impressive work on carving and sanding the foam AR! Since it's only in it's beginning stages, I can't wait to see it when it's finished. Keep it up. :cool

Very very nice thorn. Keep going buddy.:)
Thank you Vshore :)
The AR looks fantastic so far. I'm impressed with your skills in the hard foam. Out of curiousity what is the foam your using?
Thank you Starvinartist It's just Dow Styrofoam "Extruded foam Insulation" You can get it at any major Lumber yard/Hardware store. It's the Pink and/or Blue stuff. The higher the R rating the easier it is to work/tool. It is pricey tho so I got most of mine from work zones as scrap, FREE is always better. :D
Great work on the suit updates Thorn! Glad to see you adding a UA attachment to the helmet; I feel that they aren't done enough. Also, I have to say that's pretty impressive work on carving and sanding the foam AR! Since it's only in it's beginning stages, I can't wait to see it when it's finished. Keep it up. :cool
Thanks Spitfire. I thought it needed something and the UA was in the pic:D so I went with that. As for The foam, it's working out really nice.

Next weekend I'll be back at the desk with the AR.

They say CNC is cheating. Well I'm here to show everyone that you can do the same thing by hand. Of course mine might not be as pretty but hay, It can be done. :cool

Now for anyone else whom wants to try this, When you go to get you're foam. It's just Dow Styrofoam "Extruded foam Insulation" The pink/blue. I't all in how its made and/or the amount of air space. Do NOT get the White stuff it's made differently. The other two things you will need most will be white glue, (Elmer's works great). And some sand paper, I use 80,100,120 grit for this project so far. As for Hardening... well I'll get that later there are allot of ways to do that also. Till the weekend have fun and build something.

Weekend 02-26-12 AR-BP style.
As of this weekend I have:
1.) Smoothed out the front top Hand-guards.
2.) Added side front Assembly
3.) Cared out and added Bottom Hand-guard
4.) Carved out rest of the Counter and glued in place.
5.) Smoothed out top Rail assembly.
6.) Added links to most of the Ref. Pic's on Thorn's page. If anyone see's anything I missed and/or mislabeled please let me know!!! I want to make sure that the Ref pic's show the creator and links to there builds. I'm trying to give credit and show where I got my motivation from. Thank You. And Now......

Time for some Pic's :D as seen on Thorn -->http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thorn/109895165801873

th_IMG_2904.jpgth_IMG_2908.jpgth_IMG_2903.jpgth_IMG_2907.jpgth_IMG_2902.jpg
Till next weekend enjoy life and build something.

Side Note: Juliet76's Blue Prints are found here. -->http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/18541-Juliet76-s-Blueprints

And as always, Please feel free to leave any and all input, comments, criticisms, and/or suggestions. For they are most welcomed and appreciated. (they also keep me from triple posting.) Thanks for watching my build. and remember.....
Your Dreams are always within REACH. ;)

th_IMG_2904.jpg

th_IMG_2908.jpg

th_IMG_2903.jpg

th_IMG_2907.jpg

th_IMG_2902.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! No triple posting for you.

The AR looks good man. Yet another build of a quality that I feel will always be beyond my REACH. But I can dream. ;)

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER! No triple posting for you.

The AR looks good man. Yet another build of a quality that I feel will always be beyond my REACH. But I can dream. ;)

Thanks Jonus, On both accounts :D

Just one last post for the weekend.

I gave the whole thing a few coats of Poly Acrylic Drilled a few holes and added a few parts. So next weekend I'll do a fine sand job and start adding the detail pieces.

Proof is in the Pic's :cool And here they are.
th_IMG_2909.jpgth_IMG_2911.jpg
I have my mini mag ready to go also just waiting for the glue to dry :)

Quick question, What is the top censor above the barrel? Is that some sort of Laser sight?

And as always, Please feel free to leave any and all input, comments, criticisms, and/or suggestions. Or You're just stopping in to say High. Please do For they are all most welcomed and appreciated. (they also keep me from triple posting.) Thanks for watching my build. and remember..... Your Dreams are always within REACH. ;)

th_IMG_2909.jpg

th_IMG_2911.jpg

This fix for the floating kneecap is genius. I haven't seen this yet, your idea?

Time for this weeks update. This week I wet sanded the shines and added the venting on the back. I also added the details on the thighs, and made up the floating knee. Finely I stripped the Forearms and Biceps, and primed them with "PlastiKote" sandable primer as per smooth-on.

th_IMAG0379.jpgth_IMAG0376.jpgth_IMAG0374.jpgth_IMAG0378.jpgth_IMAG0375.jpgth_IMAG0380.jpg

Thanks for the input, I will leave them as is then for now ( hanging off the chest)

Next week I will be very busy with work and will not have time for my project....so next update in two weeks.

Attachments

• th_IMAG0379.jpg
    th_IMAG0379.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 127
  • th_IMAG0376.jpg
    th_IMAG0376.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 127
  • th_IMAG0374.jpg
    th_IMAG0374.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 131
  • th_IMAG0378.jpg
    th_IMAG0378.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 133
  • th_IMAG0375.jpg
    th_IMAG0375.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 131
  • th_IMAG0380.jpg
    th_IMAG0380.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 114
This fix for the floating kneecap is genius. I haven't seen this yet, your idea?

Thank you, Yes I needed some way to have the kneecap there but still have free movement.

There is something not shown in the pic tho. I found the two foamie's alone were not enuff support so I added a thick piece of foam mat as a backer. It is aprox. 2inch wide and 12inch long, it supported the knee and padded out the front of the shines making everything much more comfortable. As to why the two foamie's were not enuff well it seems as once the were coated with plastic dip spray they were much harder and a little brittle. The other foam that I used was a cheap yoga mat. it's great for padding out armor.

Happy Building all. Were almost to Resin season, I mean spring here in MI. :D

Dang that A.R. is coming along great dude! And Your helmet is absolutely incredible, I can't wait for more!
Thank you kindly,
You have some nice cardboard skill's yourself, nice Tech. very clean and smooth edges for cardboard. :D

I should be getting some of the detail work on that AR this weekend.:D
And as for the Helmet I will be getting to its LED's after I finish up on the winter work on above said AR.:cool
I love the little add-ons to the Ar's display. Now all it needs is a usable sight.
Thanks I took the Display from Bungie's Beta shot.

:confusedAs for a usable Sight??? Please give more info. I can only build what I see on this for right now (With a few slight mods just to make it mine.) Can you please send me a pic of this sight?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to watch my build, I hope you have enjoyed what you have seen, and Please come again.:D

Thorn, that rifle is a thing of beauty already man. I can't wait to see some paint on it!

Thorn, that rifle is a thing of beauty already man. I can't wait to see some paint on it!
Thank you Vshore. I'm hoping to finish it within the next 30 days, Then the task of hardening it starts when I'ts warm enuff for resin. I'm loving you're Add-on's by the way. You have one awesome build going.:)

The AR is looking great. Who needs a CNC? keep up the great work.
Thank you Starvinartist, I't coming along nicely. You and you're crew have one....hmm multiple.... great looking build's going.
It's really nice to watch the team work. My hat's off to you and you're team. :)

And with this part of the project I'm out to prove that anyone can do this. All those people whom say CNC is cheating are only fooling them self's. So far I've done this in under 20 Hours of work, It would of taken more then 40 just to set up the model for the CNC not to mention the cost and/or room for everything. I say this with allot of respect to my friends whom do this CNC work professionally. It's not cheating, it's more work, to create a better product. And it's their models that are helping me get a better idea what this weapons system should look like.:cool

Well that's the concept anyways. If that doesn't work then just except that I'm a cheap bastard whom wants a new toy and prefers to make his own. :D

I'm still looking for info on the missing parts such as the above mentioned sights and the charging handle. Anyone???

I have to say you probably have one of my favorite noble 6 builds. It's... too amazing for words. Really. Amazing job on this. It should go in the Elite section.

Gerat build Thorn!
I'm a firm believer in the hand tools aslo. I've just started my first ever build (build thread coming very soon) and from all the threads that I have seen here over the last 2 years I find that many people dismiss how valuable a set of files, scrapers and some simple razor blades can be.

Once again, fantastic work!
Cheers.

Agreed--your build is looking fantastic! :)

...and I second vshore: can't wait to see that gun painted!

I have to say you probably have one of my favorite noble 6 builds. It's... too amazing for words. Really. Amazing job on this. It should go in the Elite section.
Thank you kindly. May be with a little more work they might find me worthy, But till then I'll keep building.

Gerat build Thorn!
I'm a firm believer in the hand tools aslo. I've just started my first ever build (build thread coming very soon) and from all the threads that I have seen here over the last 2 years I find that many people dismiss how valuable a set of files, scrapers and some simple razor blades can be.

Once again, fantastic work!
Cheers.

Thank you. Gotta have tools:cool I hope to see you're build popping up sometime soon. :)

Agreed--your build is looking fantastic! :)

...and I second vshore: can't wait to see that gun painted!

Oh wow look who's here LilTyrant, Just in case you don't know who she is you should go visit her build. She has 1 of the top 3 under-suit builds ever seen.

Thank you, LilTyrant :)
I'll be working on some of the paint next weekend. It should take about 3 weekends for me to get the paint all done up I have allot of fine tuning that needs to be done in the paint phase.

Ok here's a few of the latest pic's of the detail work.
IMG_2913.jpg

th_IMG_2918.jpgth_IMG_2917.jpgth_IMG_2916.jpgth_IMG_2915.jpgth_IMG_2914.jpgth_IMG_2919.jpg

Now as some of my FB friends have already heard I tried a new hardener that was low fumes to work on this this weekend. It 1:1 with very low fumes, but I wont list it as something to use for this type project. I't runs really hot. Meaning it set up in under 2 min. So yes I did loose some of the Detail work on my AR. :( The good news is It's not a total loss and I will be able to save it.

If you are looking to use this type foam for a project then the good news is that after you seal it with a water based sealant ( latex, acrylic. etc.) regular resin will harden it very well with in 2-3 coats and a little sanding. I was just in a hurry get it done and didn't want to wait for resin/spring season. :$

So next weekend I'll have to strip it down and re-work it. It will probably be 2 weeks till it's ready to start paint again :( Good news is I do have the power tools to speed it up a little and get the detail work back.

And as always, Please feel free to leave any and all input, comments, criticisms, and/or suggestions. Or You're just stopping in to say High. Please do For they are all most welcomed and appreciated. (they also keep me from triple posting.) Thanks for watching my build. and remember..... Your Dreams are always within REACH. ;)

IMG_2913.jpg

th_IMG_2918.jpg

th_IMG_2917.jpg

th_IMG_2916.jpg

th_IMG_2915.jpg

th_IMG_2914.jpg

th_IMG_2919.jpg

Looks great Thorn. Sorry to hear about the extra work needed. But everything is a learning experience in one way or another. Just remember the old military montra... "Fast is slow and slow is fast." (or something along those lines.)

Even if you had a little bit of a setback, it still looks like you're making great progress!

I'll definitely be watching to see how it turns out! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back