"Help!" for: Forum Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started 1 thread (My juggernaut suit) and now I want to start another thread for my new costume. The thread keeps telling me that I'm not allowed to. The only things that have changed since the start of my first thread and this one was my promotion to Infantryman, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Infantryman status actually has everything to do with it. Once you get promoted, you can no longer post threads in the noob forum. Time to move up to creation disscussion buddy.

Oh... I had no Idea lol. Can I still post in my Noob forum then?

Yes, you can still edit your posts and make new posts in your existing Noob thread, just can't start a new thread there. We're in the same boat.

Redshirt

Yes.

But using Photobucket (which would be my recommendation) isn't a big deal. It's actually quite fun to use once you get the hang of it.

Thanks for the answer. I had the exact same question. Now I'm off to photobucket.

I've been doing an insane amount of reading the last few days, and feel a little overloaded, so this may have needed to go under a different category. Sorry, if that is the case. What is the proper etiquette for using other people's work as references? To be specific I'm working on a Lancer and i've found a lot of reference material online mostly from epic and other builds. My tiny, cold heart still beats and I do not want to disrespect anyone's design. Is it simply a matter of when posting a build you site whomever you were inspired by, or is direct permission needed?

This is the right thread, thank you for using these stickies!

I think overall, if you are just looking at the pics for reference, we've all been a little guilty of sneaking peaks and getting ideas from others' builds, it's probably part of why they put their worklogs up.

That said, it's infinitely polite for sure to give credit where it's due.

Though I think there's a difference between "OH that guy used a credit card to spread his bondo, that's neat", is different from "OH that guy took the EVA helmet and replaced the sides with the ODST 'ears', I'll do that too!" The second one is one where you'd ask their permission, the former is sort of trivial. It's really your disgression, with the assumption that you will make that decision responsibly. Good luck!

Hello, to whom may see this post. Just wanted to let u know that ur time is definitely appreciated. I've been experiencing a technical problem with this site. I not sure how it got there, but there has been this avatar pic of some anime character going across each page. For ex. If I click elite show case, on that page and so on. Underneath each individual thread there it is. It's becoming a nuisance because it's sometimes hard to read the titles of each thread. Also, I've used another source of enternet last night, and it wasn't showing up on there. Is it possible that someone hacked my iPad. I just wanna know how to get rid of it. Sorry to bother u guys. Hope u guys can help. God bless u guys!

Copying and pasting your post to necro threads is not a really good way to ask a question.

I don't have a character on my screen, and no one else has mentioned it from what I've seen in the Broken subforum, I'd imagine you have a virus or a weird plugin in your browser. You can provide a screencap and that might shed some light.

This probably isn't the right place to ask but a while back the background was different, why did it change to vBulletin, sorry but the curiosity is killing me!!!

The old site was sort of bashed together, and started falling apart. Links were acting up, and the entire layout was broken. They took it as an opportunity to make some sorely overdue repairs and changes, upgrading the system and cleaning out old stuff. There are some threads in the "This *$#@$ Is Broken!" forum.

The old site was sort of bashed together, and started falling apart. Links were acting up, and the entire layout was broken. They took it as an opportunity to make some sorely overdue repairs and changes, upgrading the system and cleaning out old stuff. There are some threads in the "This *$#@$ Is Broken!" forum.

Which is still an ongoing endeavor. Spase is working on more improvements when he has time. It's a big job, so it may be a while yet. In the mean time, we still have our forums and builds are still going on, questions are still being answered.

The forum hasn't changed or upgraded any software, we have been vbulletin for quite some time. It's now simply a basic customized theme with the default vbulletin header instead of a 405th one. There were some conflicts between the (very old) custom 405th themes and the newer version of vbulletin, which caused a lot of forum problems. We are now with this appearance while Walter fixes the theme essentially line by line, which as Carpathia mentioned is an ongoing process.

Thanks for clearing that up, all 3 of you, and to the moderators and staff you cease to amaze me with the work you guys do!

hey 405th, just wondering... what do each of the different symbols mean next to each thread? i've figured out what the ones with the lock mean :p but the others? with one envelope versus many or the differentiation between red or grey symbols. not a big deal, just was curious!

-Cam

Scroll to the bottom of any forum index page (ie, any page that's not a thread, like.. the list of all noob posts, etc)

If it's a build thread, it's only really bad if you double post within the same day. If you post something, no one responds, and a day or more later you have new updates, that should be fine. It's just when you reply three times to your own thread in a single day that you're just mindlessly bumping the thread. If you need to add more stuff and it's still the same day as the last post you made, just use the edit button!

To me, at least, other people not replying to your thread shouldn't prevent you from adding new meaningful updates, so long as substantial time has past. If I am totally wrong on this, someone out there can let me know, but from a general common sense of forum etiquette, this is the rule I follow.

And to add, if someone else's post is the last in the thread, it's not double-posting to reply to it, even if you posted recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back