Hughs Odst Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Hugh. You are very talented. Very nice work. As for the shin pieces, is that pepped or what? If it is pepped, will it be unfolded and put up for download like the other items? I don't know about anyone else, but I would be proud to wear your armor. :)

Thanks all,

and tmccarty23 the shin model link download is on the first page of this thread. :)

I did my own unfold for the shin though, even though mkshane did an awesome job. I prefer building with as few separate pieces as possible.

Thanks Hugh, guess I missed that one. I have most of them I think, was just missing the shin. Anyway, keep up the amazing work. :)

sorry to ask a stupid qestion but I am 6 ft and have a very musclar upper body and i am haveing trouble scale the chest core
and again i am sorry to bother

Hey Hugh, I was curious as to whether or not you might happen to provide us with a helmet tester to try out, that way I could make sure I got something the right size. I was looking at the pep in the designer, and I compared it to some other helmets, and the numbers are very different. I'm kinda worried about ending up wasting a lot of cardstock, and having a tester to fine tune the helmet to get the right size I want would be amazing.

sorry to ask a stupid qestion but I am 6 ft and have a very musclar upper body and i am haveing trouble scale the chest core
I'm assuming you have already printed one out and put it together. Measure the size (how wide it is(like shoulder to shoulder)) then Measure out on your chest how wide you want it to be. Open it in the Pepakura Designer, and change the scale under the 2D Menu Tab. Next, go to highschool, learn some algerbra, and compare these numbers all together and figure out what you need to change the scale to in order to get it to match How wide You want it on your chest. I figure since it's ODST Chest piece it'd be easier for trial and error than a Spartan chest piece would.

I know this is kinda late but How Did You Do It? lol
You think I can make this helmet? I am asking because it is so..... HD. (IU am saying you are really good)

Your pieces look sick, dude. Everything detail is crafted with precision. Congratulations on what you've got so far. Any plans on making a weapon as well?

Looking through this thread I must say... I am amazed that I have viewed it like 100 times and havent made a single post so....

BEST FREAKIN ODST MODELS EVER!!!!

Hugh I envy your skills!

Alright, time for me to get my very own vain myspace angles in there:

Was putting down some base coats and decided to slap some parts together for a photo.
The side pads are ready to go, I just didn't take time to place them tonight.
The visor is my first test with the tint and plastic. I have a new template that will have less folds/pieces and fit better when built.
Also, the webbing I'm going to run through the shoulder pads won't go on sale until next week. Anyway:

101018_1.jpg

101018_2.jpg

101018_3.jpg

101018_4.jpg

Thanks guys,

Wanderer, Ideally I want to go back and tweak the helm to be easier to put together. I know it's super HD and a huge pain to build, but it's doable. I keep telling everyone that Kirrou's new HD helm is the way to go for accuracy and simplicity. Depending on how well this whole project goes will dictate whether I refine the original helm or make a Reach ODST helmet.

Zeldasaver: Thanks man, your film looks like it's really coming together. I can't wait to see some footage of it!

Sithslayer: It's going to sound bad, but I lost my pep code when I re-formatted my pc. So I've been tweaking unfolds and not saving them. As soon as I get the funds and get a new code I'd be glad to do it again and save it out.

Dylan: Thanks, it took me 5 weeks to build so it was a big challenge. If you are really determined I say go for it! I only know one other member on here who has built the whole thing.

Thanks again all

Holy crap, looking amazing. This almost makes me want to just make a full ODST suit rather than a Black-Ops ODST Spartan.
And I totally don't mind the complexity of it, in fact I love it. It's just that I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what scale would make it fit for me. If I were to go through and pep the whole thing out to find out it'd be great if it were just fractionally smaller. I'm considering just printing out the pieces for the neck ring at the base of the helmet just because it'd be easy to see if my head fit that way, but I wouldnt know if the helmet would to too tall/short.

Hugh...all I can say....AMAZING!!! Your core, chest assets and helmet look incredible. I am still working on your chest core...just taking my sweet time :) About your visor (incredible), any techniques or processes your using to create you care to share?

WandererTJ - I might be able to help on the sizing of the core as Hugh was kind enough to go over this with me. If you are 5'8" - 6'0" the sizing of the chest core should be perfect (5'8" having the chest a bit larger). As Hugh put it in his message to me, it is armor after all, shouldn't be a snug fit :) He also recommends skipping the first two pages which are the neck seal.

WandererTJ - I might be able to help on the sizing of the core as Hugh was kind enough to go over this with me. If you are 5'8" - 6'0" the sizing of the chest core should be perfect (5'8" having the chest a bit larger). As Hugh put it in his message to me, it is armor after all, shouldn't be a snug fit :) He also recommends skipping the first two pages which are the neck seal.
Well I don't mean any offense, but I'm not currently interested in the ODST chestpiece as I am making an ODST-Spartan Hybrid. And thus the problems I'm having is trying to figure out what scale I need for the helmet. I'm 6'1", or at least 6'3" with shoes on. I'm a medium build, and I have managed to pull off being fat, skinny, and athletic looking all at the same time. The file I have is kind of confusing because it's the exploded view(if there is a way to change that, idk what it is), and I dont know if the scale (height=411) includes the space between the pieces because from looking at other helmets their height is about in the 270-300 range. Hugh's helmet looks like it fits him perfect, and I hope to achieve that same effect.

That looks amazing i can only hope for my to look close to that good. great work.

P.S.
i dont no if u have noticed this but i think theres another piece of armor on the shoulders that i havent seen anyone model

unknownarmorpiece.jpg

i think it would make mounting the shoulder armor easier

Good call Chris. I actually did a quick model that I will flatten out and cut out of foam for that part. The trick is to make sure it moves well with the arm. My girlfriend may help me design and sew a 'leather-like' pad to go over the under suit if the foam fails.

There is also a small triangular plate that covers each bicep right above the gauntlets that I made over the weekend. Once I get a Pep code I'll post the parts on the OP. They're really basic shapes so you'll have the option to pep or easily cut from foam if you choose.

And Wanderer: As far as the scaling goes I'm honestly not really sure how everyone else scales their gear. My process pretty much involves me scaling each part over a 3D dummy of me on the computer and exporting to Pep.

I can tell you that by default the helmet was scaled to be 12.75 inches from front to back if that helps. That's the exact scale for my helmet. Sorry for the exploded view, that was from when I decided to merge all the individual parts into one file. Still confusing as heck...

Sabre: Thanks man, the visor was put together just like off of Zakuace's thread. The only difference with my process besides the custom template is that I applied the mirror tint onto my plastic sheet before I cut and folded the pieces.

Well I don't mean any offense, but I'm not currently interested in the ODST chestpiece as I am making an ODST-Spartan Hybrid. And thus the problems I'm having is trying to figure out what scale I need for the helmet. I'm 6'1", or at least 6'3" with shoes on. I'm a medium build, and I have managed to pull off being fat, skinny, and athletic looking all at the same time. The file I have is kind of confusing because it's the exploded view(if there is a way to change that, idk what it is), and I dont know if the scale (height=411) includes the space between the pieces because from looking at other helmets their height is about in the 270-300 range. Hugh's helmet looks like it fits him perfect, and I hope to achieve that same effect.

No offense taken, got confused by your message (was tired) and thought you were talking about the chest core. As per the helmet sizing...you'll need the master's input on that :)

Good call Chris. I actually did a quick model that I will flatten out and cut out of foam for that part. The trick is to make sure it moves well with the arm. My girlfriend may help me design and sew a 'leather-like' pad to go over the under suit if the foam fails.

There is also a small triangular plate that covers each bicep right above the gauntlets that I made over the weekend. Once I get a Pep code I'll post the parts on the OP. They're really basic shapes so you'll have the option to pep or easily cut from foam if you choose.

Are you going to post that model?

Holy cow man this is looking amazing. I love the vest that you made. I have been crunching my brain trying to figure out what I am going to make it out of. Question though, how much mobility did you have with the full gear on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back