Reach foam armor and Pilot helmet wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just filled em in with hot glue and painted over them with plastidip. after the plasti dip, you can barly tell where the gaps were.

awesome man!
Thanks!

You're an inspiration to all future foam builders!

I've just finished my first forearm ( I realized that scaling with foam is different, since it's bigger and bulkier, but very good to work with)

I find eva foam eats through blades like crazy, I might invest in a jigsaw very soon if I want to build the other parts with ease (I'm very short on time with work and etc...)

I will post a thread soon.

Awesome job man!

I have a question about the EVA Foam. How do you glue the pieces together? And when you glue them together, is the bond very strong?

And fyi, your foam suit looks great!! Once you get a proper undersuit your armor will be seriously legit!

Fan-Dipidly-TASTIC!
One thing I've noticed, You have a huge gap where your stomach is... How're you going to fill it.

Alot of people on here who make or finish their armor are Bean Poles, Are there any "Heavy" Armorers in here?

I have a question about the EVA Foam. How do you glue the pieces together? And when you glue them together, is the bond very strong?

And fyi, your foam suit looks great!! Once you get a proper undersuit your armor will be seriously legit!
Well I can tell you that people have been using a hot glue gun to glue the foam pieces together. As for how strong the bond is, I can't say since I have yet to do mine. XD

Also, to Brad - Your suit looks great once it's all worn together! :D Does it feel pretty lightweight since it's just foam? Also, what is the mobility like? Is it better than the fiberglass/bondo armor? I am assuming that it would be. Now you just need to do something about them shoes.............haha

I'm actually planning now to create my hayabusa helmet............out of foam! I am devising a plan and I HOPE that it will work because if not, I will have wasted time and money, so here's to hoping my plan will work. XD

Super Glue works best,
I've been constructing foam just a few days ago.
The bond it makes is very strong. When I accidentally glued the wrong parts together I had to use a knife to separate the pieces.

Thanks for the tip on the hot glue to fill gaps, it works!

hotglue is best: you don't have to wait 2 mins for each part to dry, you just glue, stick and move on. if you get a bit wrong, you can just re-melt the glue and rearrange. hotglue also has added benefits because apart from glueing, it also melts the foam together, making it stronger and less likely to fall apart.

oh, and brad, your suit is amazing! i hope mine comes out good too :p my only little problem is that your odst helmet is missing a chin!??! what kind of spartan/odst wouldn't want a chin to hold high? i suppose you can't do much about it for now, seeing as it is already painted, but for any future odst buckets, don't forget the chin :p

Man that's so awesome man!
I'm actually building my first armor and it's in foam as well.
I've realized that with foam, a lot of time and effort is used on cutting out shapes,

I've realized I have some gaps in my armor, what did you use to fill those gaps in?

Thanks!

wouldnt you use hot glue for foam gaps?

There's a different method where people use gel based superglue to seal the gaps.
I've also seen plumber's caulk applied for the gaps

That's why I'm asking if there are different methods

Fan-Dipidly-TASTIC!
One thing I've noticed, You have a huge gap where your stomach is... How're you going to fill it.

Alot of people on here who make or finish their armor are Bean Poles, Are there any "Heavy" Armorers in here?

I can so relate! I am 5'8" and built like a fireplug so getting my legs in the chicken stilts sucks! lol! having to make my own templates to work out the legs! best to try that is my recomendation.

dude... your build is pretty darn sick. love the color scheme and wear, and the armor permutations choices are excellent and fitting. just looks so brutal and awesome

Pepped the Helm This weekend. it might be too big though:( . hopefully not though!

DSCN2339.jpg

pilot_base.png

DSCN2340.jpg

DSCN2341.jpg

first step of many!

I decidedto change the helmet to a Pilot because of the new pep!

I also cant seem to figure out how to edit the title of the thread to change the EVA to PILOT!

DSCN2339.jpg

pilot_base.png

DSCN2340.jpg

DSCN2341.jpg

Really nice job on the pep man! i just downloaded the pilot helm file a few days ago and am thinking about doing it.

could you show me the EVA helmet images, i am also building one. do you think that using vacuum molding for the visor would be better, or, i have found a different method of molding it. i asked around on the internet, and found that i could use an oven, heat up the plastic, then with my hands, stretch it over the mould into shape. What would you suggest? this is the last obstacle before i can begin adding eva foam for detail.

The pilot helmet looks amazing :) Good clean pepping on it. I think I may give it a stab after looking at yours now!
Also, a mod will be able to change your thread title so just give one a shout :)

- X.

Holy cow .. this is amazing ! I didnt know about u until Belakor mentioned you .. wanted to make myself an foam armor myself .. im sick of dealing with fiberglass .. ahahaha ..

but , i still have no idea on what foam did u use .. can u give more details on the foam ? the name , any specific details picture of the thing would help as well . need to hunt it all over japan .. LOLZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back