Rhinoc might have to say goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhinoc, I can wholly and completely sympathize with you. My mother and father hate my armor and pretty much everything I get into. I had to go to a relative who supports me for almost a week to finish my helmet; But when I did, my parents ate their words when they saw it. Of course, soon they'll go right back to hating it, but it was nice to see the look on thier faces when I finished.

Bottom line, do what you love, no matter what anyone says or does. I've found it to be a pleasant motto to live by.

Man I dont know if im taking this the wrong way, but it sounds all your parents are pretty mean :/

To tell or show your child you hate what they like to do ( and especially if its not negative) is really depressing and upsetting.

Do your fathers really say they hate how you get into your hobby? I makes me appreciate how my mom treats me.

I really hope noone takes this the wrong way...

Hahaha my mom and dad are the same way Rhinoc! :D I wouldn't be too concerned, sometimes my parents go off on me as well. It's mostly just because they're concerned about my grades and schoolwork. Being a senior in high school is pretty stressful, especially when you start applying for college. I've recieved more lectures in the past 3 months than ever before about my Halo hobbies. Just be repectful, do as you're asked, and balance your Halo activities with your school/family responsibilities. Hopefully your parents will understand if you get all the important stuff done first!

Man I dont know if im taking this the wrong way, but it sounds all your parents are pretty mean :/

To tell or show your child you hate what they like to do ( and especially if its not negative) is really depressing and upsetting.

Do your fathers really say they hate how you get into your hobby? I makes me appreciate how my mom treats me.

I really hope noone takes this the wrong way...
This. I guess I've been blessed to have parents who have always supported my interests, albeit my interests have always been pretty wholesome. Never kill a good impulse, they say, and place a high value on "delight directed learning". I'm sorry to here so many people's folks "hate" their armor building hobby. Learning to use different materials, work with your hands, and persevere through a tediously long process like building a whole suit is a great experience, too bad more people's parents don't see it that way.

This. I guess I've been blessed to have parents who have always supported my interests, albeit my interests have always been pretty wholesome. Never kill a good impulse, they say, and place a high value on "delight directed learning". I'm sorry to here so many people's folks "hate" their armor building hobby. Learning to use different materials, work with your hands, and persevere through a tediously long process like building a whole suit is a great experience, too bad more people's parents don't see it that way.

It really is great. I learned how to use bondo on my car because of this site, although the tuts were for prop-building.

My parents hate everything I do, too. I'm not my perfect older brother..(which he dropped out of college and did nothing with his life for 6 years, let alone he's much older than me and was dating one of my friends)

They hate my costuming habits and see no point to them. My mom called them a "phase"

Mendez... If I were to leave, honestly many noobs would be screwed! There arent as many people who are nice about it anymore, nowadays people just get bashed!

Looks like you'd have to yell at yourself!

lol yeah u better not leave!

Hey Rhinoc, your 3D work is great.

I suggest perhaps taking a little break and working on assets for a 3D modeling demo reel, if that's what you want to do that is :)

It will definitely be a good idea, especially if you plan on going to college for this sort of thing.

Yea hauss, Just take yourself a break.
I only play when my wife's in a good enough mood to watch a movie, or help me pep (BW I started a Reach AR) She usually has me play and she gets immersed like it's a movie.
You oughtta seen it when I got COD 4 MW. I was playing online and my hd tv looked so good she thought I was watching American snipers. It was going great till I had to stop a 32 kill streak to pee. I got pretty addicted to COD4 online, it was like a rush. A stress relief. And all of the Halo's 1-ODST. I'm a really competitive gamer, and I've been to Competitions, and won. If your pops is saying you're playing too much, Take a long break, hell maybe spend some time with him. My Dad is wanting an ODST Helmet For his motorcycle. Dunno if I'll actually make one to function as such but it some we're going to work on.
Go fishing, go to the firing range... MAybe not that last one, depends if you're over 18, if not have your dad take ya.

Sometimes anarchy works.

Im not saying you should blow cars and stuff but just like show you are not a kid anymore and show some authority.
It works with my parents, its just that some parents get carried away and they need some "call" to show them that you are not a kid anymore.

I'm going to re-iterate everything said already, containing my own 2cents from personal trials years back.

Growing up, I had an obsessive personality, which frustrated my parents to no end. If I enjoyed something, it didn't stop there, it ultimately consumed portions of my life, as I saw no reason to deny myself.

Obviously at the time, as a kid (I lump teenagers under the same category, I may be 19 but I still think of myself as a kid despite my accomplishments thus far). I'd oft' think any attempts to stifle my actions was just a result of my parents being cruel.

But honestly, take a look at it, and try to humor them.

1) Bed time's a bed time... hate to say it, if you have a pre-arranged agreement with your parents about a bed time, you better own up to your side of it. If bed time is 10, you are IN BED at 10, not getting ready. If this means not joining another game 30 minutes before bed time, and instead finding something else to do, so be it. However, if things are running beyond your ability to control or of particular importance, it doesn't hurt to speak with your parents within a reasonable amount of time prior, letting them know you may be running a couple minutes over, and if they could offer an extension. (This will earn you points - just keep in mind that you should not be doing this night after night).

2) Another common one (atleast in the scenarios I've dealt with as a kid) is the procrastination. Always putting things off, whether it be chores, homework, or a simple request from your parents to go somewhere or do something. There is no better way to anger your parents than to repeatedly not do what they ask, when they ask - or within a respectable amount of time - especially when you take into consideration the importance of a typical night on xbox... (Obviously if you're MLG there's another story, but you'd best be winning some competitions.)

3) Do other things. I kid you not. Halo is not necessarily something you should specialize in. Obviously if you're into game-design, go ahead and try to learn a bit more, design a few flash games, hell, I made a couple physics based browser games when I was 12. This may be the age of technology, but more and more of us only know how to use computers as far as browsing the web and minor trouble-shooting. Join a sports team, go outside, and even furthmore, perpetuate the idea that Halo is not confining you to solitude, only interacting with people over the internet... bring friends over, go to friends houses if you want to play etc...

I'm not claiming to know it all - there's too many factors for me to possibly even come close, but these are similar situations I was faced with growing up, and eventually learned to accept.

Ultimately... tone down the obsession the slightest bit, respect your parent's laws, show interest in an array of different things...

Yea, i think a break might be in order.
My parents kinda support it, but only really cause im good at it so far.
They dont really think its a proper application of my time.

Its mainly cause my brother doesnt do anything at home, so im expected to pick up slack.
And try to find a job in an economy where freshly graduated college students are lucky to work at Mcd. :/

i agree with zacky panic, it might not seem like it, but respect your parents and they will respect you, even though they might not outwardly show it. plus joining a sports team, and taking breaks from halo...its all healthy for you, good luck with the situation

Umm... Ok first off, dont think that all I frickin do is sit on my butt playing halo all day! I just started playing today and havent played for the past week! I do take breaks from halo, I get out I exercise I play on the school football team! I dont sit on my butt!! I respect the HELL out of my parents, I finish all my homework and chores before playing games, and that night my dad told me I could stay up until 10:15 and then yelled at me and 10:02! Halo isnt my god, I dont over-obsess it, I play it when I am bored. I have a frickin life, hell just today I went out with the fam to Oktoberfest and had fun, I always do stuff like that! Dont tell me what I do and dont do, you know nothing about me.

Could a mod please lock this thread? I'm getting tired of everyone saying the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back