ODST MK III; “Halo 2 Anniversary”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I haven’t been posting for a while, been building this shin peice for about a week. Man, it’s so complex. Not to mention I had to do everything in levels so I wouldn’t mess this up.In one of the pics you’ll see each piece has a number, that is to tell me how many pieces I need because of the levels that it needs. More evidence of this is a pic that shows the backside of the front shin piece. And in one of the pictures, you’ll see the back of the calf has a few tabs, I am doing this because I’m trying to make sure that when I pack this up, it’ll take less space in the tote.
View attachment 265299 View attachment 265300 View attachment 265301 View attachment 265302

So this isn’t the final product, but mainly the first draft so I can improve upon the second build.
It looks really good! Hell whenever Ima start my build I'll show you that Im going to need many many many drafts XD

If you would like a resource for the helmet, I recently made a couple of models that I hope may be of some use. Keep building!

Model portfolio (Satchmo III)

Sir, I don’t believe you understand what you’ve just done. You have made me a very happy man. I was worried before on how I would need to NOT ONLY get the “H2: ODST” helmet built, but also make is similar to the “H2A: ODST” Helmet. You have saved me 6hrs-8hrs of work....roughly. Thank you.

So I just got done adding the Velcro onto the tabs and the results have been… Rather pleasing. Not the best, but not the worst either. So far the EVA foam tabs have not been ripped off or stripped from the glue that they are applied on. So that’s good. And the curved tabs on the upper calf still need some application to be more smooth. But all in all, I say that this is coming along better than expected.
BE085754-31A2-4C02-886C-8C9E57D79133.jpeg 5C68677C-0CD1-4BE8-8F44-ECD6BBBBACA2.jpeg A7DA07A5-1AC1-458F-A61E-9D3BEF770A28.jpeg 93FC1EE2-CC9F-4AD2-A462-8A6027494332.jpeg 8023ACB6-CD55-4274-9338-A79D7E9F0186.jpeg A92A3F03-A45C-4F3A-BB29-E2A5939DA3DF.jpeg 96CF1B21-570F-4F8B-89B4-4750A041CD34.jpeg 6244F960-3B9A-46C6-980B-BD3D93FDB27C.jpeg

You know what, come to think about it, this situation is a lot more difficult than if the straps are on the outside. Plus it would look like it was part of the boot. I think I might incorporate that in my next bill the shin

I have installed the straps on the outside for more of an easier time getting it into two separate pieces. I just need to find a better design so it doesn’t look out of place.
27FEBDF5-32CA-48F4-BE0D-209711358FD6.jpeg

Outside straps look cool as hell, if you are really worried about, just put some pouches on it line Dutch! I think it looks cool as it is, like an up-armoured variant!

Sir, I don’t believe you understand what you’ve just done. You have made me a very happy man. I was worried before on how I would need to NOT ONLY get the “H2: ODST” helmet built, but also make is similar to the “H2A: ODST” Helmet. You have saved me 6hrs-8hrs of work....roughly. Thank you.

Happy to help. Looking forward to seeing your build! Take care.

Progress is slow for the shins. But it’s progress nonetheless. Got both front pieces done. Will be working on the back next week.

Outside straps look cool as hell, if you are really worried about, just put some pouches on it line Dutch! I think it looks cool as it is, like an up-armoured variant!

That might not be a bad idea. I’ll look at some other peoples ODST suits and get a general idea of what to come up with. Nothing too big to distract the guy from the body, but nothing too small where it it looks bland.

OK, so as you Can see from the numbers on SD01 (Shin Draft 01) I have numbered all the Pieces in which how many levels are behind it:
6727EAE5-28A2-4EDC-A384-2AFD5DC85689.png 02C21864-11C7-4AA4-8AAE-B1AF05B4C50D.png

I applied this onto my SD02 and this was the result:
9EBA8B0A-880B-4C0D-B132-B2F38D0A0343.png C056AF82-59D4-4D88-B7AB-73A4A9E83DD8.png

As you can see, SD02’s sides are more angled. That is due to the second layer behind the front. This automatically causes the piece to become more sturdy and stiff. Were as SD01 only has smaller pieces glued to the back edge to creat the layer, causing flexibility. If anything, I’ll stick to SD01’s “leveling method” on the next draft, only because I built 2 SD02s when making the newest draft.
D919474B-2CF3-4127-9625-060372C4CBEC.jpeg

Plus having the sides stick out is kinda bothering me....maybe I’ll get used to it?

Geez!!! Feels like an eternity since I last posted. But in any case, the shins are done and I’m liking them. Not really sure on how to design the straps, but I’m thinking some NYLON STRAPS glued to the top. Here are pics with/without the knee. Still trying to figure out on how to attach the knee without losing flexibility when I sit.
1CB9C41C-FEEA-47DE-A0D2-37044D291F4E.jpeg 780D0284-61B1-4478-87A4-29A59B305E81.jpeg

Maybe I’ll attach an elastic strap from the knee to the shin and the have it wrap around my knee for good measure, kinda like in this pic.
07A133C6-DF78-47EA-84D4-9C0ED72F046D.jpeg

For my mk V I had the same question. What I intend to do is run elastic around the back of my knees to make the knee pads separate, like they are in the game. So the solution you're thinking sounds about right to me.

So I heated the chest foam up and it lessened the curvature. Added a few more pieces toward the neck. Now the piece MAY be big. But as soon as I finish, I will re-size it and improve from there.

Okay, so after doing half the chest, I begin to see that it’s becoming more blocky than usual. And that the mere fact that a LOT of effort is needed to make it smooth. In the end, AT BEST, this is what my chest base would look like.
81C0DEC8-B5E9-4F1F-B496-7487888E3D92.jpeg

So I decided to scrap it and and start from scratch. Already making drawing plans for it.
image.jpg

Let the madness begin.

Okay, so after doing half the chest, I begin to see that it’s becoming more blocky than usual. And that the mere fact that a LOT of effort is needed to make it smooth. In the end, AT BEST, this is what my chest base would look like.
View attachment 266892

So I decided to scrap it and and start from scratch. Already making drawing plans for it.
View attachment 266893

Let the madness begin.

:(:(
I'm glad you have the dedication but this sounds so tedious...

:(:(
I'm glad you have the dedication but this sounds so tedious...

I know, it’s taking some REAL thinking on my part. But in the end, if I get this done, then that means I’m one step closer in standing “Shoulder-to-shoulder” with “The Greats” in Cosplaying.....plus the fact that I can use these techniques on future projects would be helpful too.

Bought some plaster online. Gonna wait for it to arrive so I can make a “Plaster Dummy” for my back and what-not. Picked this technique up by Bill from Punished Props.

Last edited:
Okay...since I have to wait on torso armor and I'm far too behind to make leather applications, I'm gonna work on the helmet provided by the great Satchmo III. How I will get the visor done is a not known at the moment, but one step at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back